10-22-2016 08:58 PM
55 123
tools
    I think V20 wins this Camera showdown, even though these guys picked the Pixel XL

Pixel XL camera test: How it compares to Apple, LG, and Samsung
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    10-19-2016 06:17 PM
    10-19-2016 09:55 PM
    theres the verdict. you judge,v20 pic.
    10-19-2016 09:56 PM
    I would if the site wasn't breaking pictures. DX
    10-19-2016 10:13 PM
    All phone cams look great outdoors. Indoors sans flash is the key.
    10-20-2016 03:02 PM
    That was 8 am no lights
    10-21-2016 01:20 AM
    I don't like that Google is kinda cheating(enhancing reality) with great software more so than hardware but you can't ignore the results. I still would go with the V20 for manual controls. Google did an excellent job. Going forward things are going to get really close but that manual focus peaking though. V20 FTW!
    10-21-2016 06:55 AM
    Wow. Went to ATT today to try out V20. Sorry but camera sucks in low to moderate light. Took dozens of pictures. Store far from dark. Pictures were grainy. I took some pics of text then the same text with iphone next to it. Iphone took nice clear pics. V20 grainy and hard to read especially if I enlarged image. Very disappointed.
    10-21-2016 02:48 PM
    Wow. Went to ATT today to try out V20. Sorry but camera sucks in low to moderate light. Took dozens of pictures. Store far from dark. Pictures were grainy. I took some pics of text then the same text with iphone next to it. Iphone took nice clear pics. V20 grainy and hard to read especially if I enlarged image. Very disappointed.
    Really?!? My G4 took great pics in low light. I hope this isn't true.
    10-21-2016 02:52 PM
    Huh? You say the camera sucks in low to moderate light but the store was far from dark? Isn't that contradictory?
    10-21-2016 02:57 PM
    Was it auto or manual?
    10-21-2016 02:58 PM
    Was it auto or manual?
    Both phones were on auto. I would never use manual.
    10-21-2016 03:01 PM
    Both phones were on auto. I would never use manual.
    Manual you could clean it up a bit... Not sure how much?
    10-21-2016 03:07 PM
    Low light.
    Attached Thumbnails V20 Camera looking good-6124.jpg  
    10-21-2016 03:32 PM
    Camera is my #1 concern with this phone as a potential replacement for my Note 7. I went to a phone store in NY the other day and got to test the V20 vs my Note 7 and with both on auto for a bunch of shots, and N7 was better in the vast majority of shots for clarity. In fact one picture I tried taking of boxes on a shelf the V20 was blurry every time - reminded me of my old Note 4 in low light - very hit or miss. I even tried manual pix with the focus peeking (or whatever it's called with the green outlines) and the N7 still took clearer pix. Maybe HDR wasn't on or something, but hoping to see more tests before I decided to pull the trigger as I like most of what the phone brings to the table...
    10-21-2016 04:40 PM
    Camera is my #1 concern with this phone as a potential replacement for my Note 7. I went to a phone store in NY the other day and got to test the V20 vs my Note 7 and with both on auto for a bunch of shots, and N7 was better in the vast majority of shots for clarity. In fact one picture I tried taking of boxes on a shelf the V20 was blurry every time - reminded me of my old Note 4 in low light - very hit or miss. I even tried manual pix with the focus peeking (or whatever it's called with the green outlines) and the N7 still took clearer pix. Maybe HDR wasn't on or something, but hoping to see more tests before I decided to pull the trigger as I like most of what the phone brings to the table...
    Also remember that you're viewing the N7 pics on an Amoled screen which has a higher contrast than the v20's IPS display which has more muted/natural colors. Both devices should have good cameras otherwise.
    10-21-2016 04:57 PM
    disappointed from the V20 camera :/
    10-21-2016 05:00 PM
    Low light.
    Thanks but it isn't low light. It is a picture of a light source like taking a picture of a light bulb that is on.

A picture of print indoors at night with one incandescent lamp elsewhere in the room is low light. I like pictures of text on a white page because they show graininess if there and blur or sharp focus. Best for me would be in auto mode since I will never use any other mode nor will most users. Thanks!
    10-21-2016 05:29 PM
    Thanks but it isn't low light. It is a picture of a light source like taking a picture of a light bulb that is on.

A picture of print indoors at night with one incandescent lamp elsewhere in the room is low light. I like pictures of text on a white page because they show graininess if there and blur or sharp focus. Best for me would be in auto mode since I will never use any other mode nor will most users. Thanks!
    How in the world did you go to a store to test out the low light? Stores are all well lit. Also, remember that the Galaxy phones have huge contrast and saturation on the screens...

This pic is taken in a moderately dark room.. I just pointed and shot. It's not that dark but I'm pretty sure ATT didn't let you turn their lights off.
    Attached Thumbnails V20 Camera looking good-6131.jpg  
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    10-21-2016 06:26 PM
    The camera is the biggest feature for me in a smart phone. So this is one of the few reasons I haven't committed to the V20
    10-21-2016 07:31 PM
    How in the world did you go to a store to test out the low light? Stores are all well lit. Also, remember that the Galaxy phones have huge contrast and saturation on the screens...

This pic is taken in a moderately dark room.. I just pointed and shot. It's not that dark but I'm pretty sure ATT didn't let you turn their lights off.
    Exactly right! That is why I was so disappointed that the pictures of fine print in the sales tag were so poor. In that light pictures should have been perfect. The only thing that made the pics low light was my own shadow. Incandescent light would be far less bright than the store was.

Like in your picture I couldn't read the print on the label at all. My Note 3 would do even worse but my note 7 did much better. I could read any print large enough that I could read it in real life. Like a picture of that label would actually be legible.

BTW, in the store the pictures were much better with the flash manually turned on.
    10-21-2016 08:16 PM
    The s7 edge pretty easily beats my previous LG phones when it comes to pulling it out of my pocket, double clicking the home button and snapping a photo. My v10 could take some awesome shots when you start getting into the manual controls though.

I just don't take enough pictures to let the camera be the deciding factor for me. If my low light pictures in auto mode turn out a little worse than the s7e, it won't really bother me. I just hope focusing speed is a little closer to the s7e then my v10 was.
    tadpoles likes this.
    10-21-2016 09:27 PM
    It's also early. Camera software can be tweaked and improved as long as the hardware is not an issue.
    10-21-2016 09:42 PM
    The camera is the biggest feature for me in a smart phone. So this is one of the few reasons I haven't committed to the V20
    The Note 4 used to suck with low light pics and I had not used mine beyond some occasional VR for a year since having the MXPE and N7. None the less, one of the updates up to MM 6.0.1 has made low light pics far better. Point is if the Note 4 low light pics can be made better with software, seems the V20 can too. Mixed reports still though on low light V20 pics. The N7 was amazing for low light and camera in general.
    10-21-2016 10:03 PM
    You're testing a display unit at the store. I went to AT&T the other day after I ordered my phone, and no matter what I did the screen brightness was awful. I got my device Wednesday, and it's way brighter than the demo unit at AT&T. Don't trust a demo unit. I have the V20 and in low light it works just fine.
    10-21-2016 10:37 PM
55 123