LG V20 - Camera shots! Show us your pictures

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I got held up by a little train switching out some cars a little bit ago. So have a picture of a choo-choo.
31d3020273171e849d306a483097c6b2.jpg

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well here's the definitive review I always count on. I love where LG is taking things but at the same time so issues with the camera software cannot be ignored. I will not be upgrading to the V20 until LG shows that they are truly invested in making this phone the best it can be. They need to release a software fix to correct the terrible digitization in SteadyRecord 2.0 and now slow motion and the aforementioned lag/delay when switching from normal to wide during video capture. I still rate LG top notch as far as manual goes for stills but they still have some work to do. But enough of my analysis, check out the video. To end on a very positive note, Juan actually did entire or at least partial reviews of other phone coverage with the V20 and I did not even notice a drop in quality from his other videos shot with a DSLR. That's crazy. https://youtu.be/1NGnADbGQ4Y

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well here's the definitive review I always count on. I love where LG is taking things but at the same time so issues with the camera software cannot be ignored. I will not be upgrading to the V20 until LG shows that they are truly invested in making this phone the best it can be. They need to release a software fix to correct the terrible digitization in SteadyRecord 2.0 and now slow motion and the aforementioned lag/delay when switching from normal to wide during video capture. I still rate LG top notch as far as manual goes for stills but they still have some work to do. But enough of my analysis, check out the video. To end on a very positive note, Juan actually did entire or at least partial reviews of other phone coverage with the V20 and I did not even notice a drop in quality from his other videos shot with a DSLR. That's crazy. https://youtu.be/1NGnADbGQ4Y
Sorry to hear you aren't upgrading. I was looking forward to your pictures.

I'll watch the video a little later but I agree with your assessment about some of the issues.

I'm actually semi considering picking up a pixel XL for the credit T-Mobile is offering just because of some of these camera issues.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear you aren't upgrading. I was looking forward to your pictures.

I'll watch the video a little later but I agree with your assessment about some of the issues.

I'm actually semi considering picking up a pixel XL for the credit T-Mobile is offering just because of some of these camera issues.
Yeah but like I said a software update can solve all of these issues. I just need to see that LG (1)acknowledges them and (2)issues the fix instead of having an "it is what it is" type attitude. If they do that I'm all over the V20. I saw that deal today about the Pixel too. Great phone but it's hardware is limited in manual with a max .5 exposure while the V10/V20 can go for 30 seconds and the S7 can go for 10 at least. I would definitely consider it if I can buy into the point and shoot nature it's intended for. While there's a lot of software processing happening, Google's HDR+ does get a lot right and is at least an acceptable alternative to expansive manual controls when 95% of the shots come out like they do. Also how good is the One Plan you have to switch to for the Pixel credit?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but like I said a software update can solve all of these issues. I just need to see that LG (1)acknowledges them and (2)issues the fix instead of having an "it is what it is" type attitude. If they do that I'm all over the V20. I saw that deal today about the Pixel too. Great phone but it's hardware is limited in manual with a max .5 exposure while the V10/V20 can go for 30 seconds and the S7 can go for 10 at least. I would definitely consider it if I can buy into the point and shoot nature it's intended for. While there's a lot of software processing happening, Google's HDR+ does get a lot right and is at least an acceptable alternative to expansive manual controls when 95% of the shots come out like they do. Also how good is the One Plan you have to switch to for the Pixel credit?
I'm mostly auto and not a big photography person but my phone is my only camera. Don't get me wrong, I love LG and the manual options are outstanding but I use it less than 5% of the time. Just don't have time to learn what I need to know to be truly effective with it.

I'm on 10gb simple choice plan so going to T-Mobile One doesn't really effect me from a binge on perspective.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I assume and hope that we will see updates like this or see them take responsibility once the phone actually comes out and a mass amount of people get it. Remember the release date is tomorrow.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I assume and hope that we will see updates like this or see them take responsibility once the phone actually comes out and a mass amount of people get it. Remember the release date is tomorrow.
Very true I forgot since a lot of people have been getting them early but I will wait and see what they do. V10 still kicking.
1c502a80cace323bbee71a7b9634b996.jpg
223eb705e54a146bef6dcc84dfd14363.jpg
ba98361f8fab4510727d541b2e0b6459.jpg

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
True and Google has already acknowledged it and stated that they will be issuing a software update soon. I need to see commitment from LG like that.
Agreed. Acknowledgement would be great but they aren't very good at communication and any update/fix would go thru carrier as well, further delaying the fix.

Ugh, about 5 days left in my 14 day window.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Living on the edge.??????

I'm keeping it regardless because I like using the manual controls. I haven't really took my phone out for a spin yet.. my instagram account is looking very needy right now. hahah but the shots that I have been getting, the ones I like.. are really good.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Living on the edge.😀
Lol yep. I'm also on JOD so coming out of pocket for a phone doesn't make much sense. However, I was less than impressed with the V20 this past weekend at a wedding. 'Action' shots - people slow dancing- came out blurry on auto. I know action can be tough but slow dancing should have turned out better.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm keeping it regardless because I like using the manual controls. I haven't really took my phone out for a spin yet.. my instagram account is looking very needy right now. hahah but the shots that I have been getting, the ones I like.. are really good.
Yeah I've liked your shots too. Its video that concerns me. Stills are gorgeous as seen in the camera review as well. Video on a tripod and stabilized is unmatched but movement, Steady Record 2.0 and that lag when switching lenses just needs a little TLC.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Lol yep. I'm also on JOD so coming out of pocket for a phone doesn't make much sense. However, I was less than impressed with the V20 this past weekend at a wedding. 'Action' shots - people slow dancing- came out blurry on auto. I know action can be tough but slow dancing should have turned out better.
Boost the shutter speed just a tad and monitor your ISO to make sure shots still come out with minimal noise but that's what the system should do unless you were in low light. Then fire up the flash. LG has great flash metering.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well this sucks. I was suspecting an issue with the image stabilization, and I was right. This first shot is from my V20.

f72bd2b110a7e7858fe70a89f9645e2d.jpg

This is from my G4

eccb4e19809f2a27c37151ececa696ef.jpg

Both were set to ISO 50 and 8 sec exposures. Both phones were set to their native resolutions and propped up so they were still partially supported by my hand (I was testing OIS, so wanted a little movement ability). I then zoomed in on the images and cropped to what you see here. Obviously there's something going on because the V20 shouldn't have so much blurred camera shake. If I'm not mistaken, the OIS on the V20 was supposed to have more movement than the G4, theoretically making it more sharp.

Can anyone else test this to see if it's just my phone acting up?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well this sucks. I was suspecting an issue with the image stabilization, and I was right. This first shot is from my V20.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161028/f72bd2b110a7e7858fe70a89f9645e2d.jpg

This is from my G4

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161028/eccb4e19809f2a27c37151ececa696ef.jpg

Both were set to ISO 50 and 8 sec exposures. Both phones were set to their native resolutions and propped up so they were still partially supported by my hand (I was testing OIS, so wanted a little movement ability). I then zoomed in on the images and cropped to what you see here. Obviously there's something going on because the V20 shouldn't have so much blurred camera shake. If I'm not mistaken, the OIS on the V20 was supposed to have more movement than the G4, theoretically making it more sharp.

Can anyone else test this to see if it's just my phone acting up?
To make this a more accurate test you have to place both phones on a tripod to be fair. There is too much varying degree of human error in an eight second exposure to blame this solely on the phone since you said you had it propped up on your hand. The variable being your hand could have been less stable or the phone probably moved slightly within that 8 seconds from one shot to the next. That makes a huge difference.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To make this a more accurate test you have to place both phones on a tripod to be fair. There is too much varying degree of human error in an eight second exposure to blame this solely on the phone since you said you had it propped up on your hand. The variable being your hand could have been less stable or the phone probably moved slightly within that 8 seconds from one shot to the next. That makes a huge difference.
I do have a tripod mount that I can test with, but the problem there is how can you test the OIS ability if the phone isn't moving at all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech