Damning with faint praise

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
After reading so many former Samsung users here talking about how much they are liking the V20, many even more than the N7, Sammy better be paying attention. Starting sound like the people are preferring the added features and more natural colors of the LCD screen of the V20. Ok, so the stylus was cool, but I guess the real question is how many people are willing to give up the IR blaster, better sound, natural screen colors, full manual camera controls, and of course removable battery just to get a pretty phone with a stylus? Now if LG steps up its game by making the Stylo into a flagship line, they may become the new Android block leader.

I'm not simply hating on Samsung here. This is just based on my observations from other members that have moved to the V20 and are loving it.

What natural screen colors? :) The V20 reviews so far state the colors are blue heavy and a color temp over 9000. The Note 7 in basic setting is far more color accurate than the V20. Per reviews and comparing the displays.

Amoled makes sense for power efficiency and VR. Still like the V20 display, but not seeing literally how the V20 display is natural.

Last edited:

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What natural screen colors? :) The V20 reviews so far state the colors are blue heavy and a color temp over 9000. The Note 7 in basic setting is far more color accurate than the V20. Per reviews.

Amoled makes sense for power efficiency and VR. Still like the V20 display, but not seeing literally how the V20 display is natural.

I love Amoled...but in reality, the naked human eye does not perceive the vibrant displays that the Note 7 offers. Try taking a pic of a pot with the Note 7, then the LG v20 and look at all three....the pot itself, the Note 7 pic and LG V20 pic. I guarantee you the LG V20 colors look almost 99% percent closer to the colors of the pot. But the Note 7 pic will give you that stunning color that you won't be able to take your eyes off....due to it's vibrancy and sharpness. I guess this how I feel between the 2. Now I took a few pics with the LG where I was able to single out itty bitty flowers on my covers (I don't know what it's called, like almost fading out the background)....that is amazing that a camera on a phone can do that, maybe others did it and I am just unaware of them but I don't think that the Note 7 was able to that.
At the end of the days, I guess colors are truly subjective. Good discussion though.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What natural screen colors? :) The V20 reviews so far state the colors are blue heavy and a color temp over 9000. The Note 7 in basic setting is far more color accurate than the V20. Per reviews and comparing the displays.

I don't like the cooler/blue or darker LCD screens when viewing text against white backgrounds. Maybe the actual production models are better than the test devices used by the reviewers although my understanding is that the production screens aren't as bright as the n7 or s7e.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
A few years back I went from the Note 1 to the Optimus G Pro by LG a great alternative to the Note 2 which at the time I wasn't impressed by. No one heard of this phone and I believe it only came out on AT&T my carrier. Got a wireless charging case for it and loved it but almost no one had heard of it. So now I'm going from a Note 7 to the V20 so I'm happy not everyone and their brother will have one like an Iphone. But I will sure miss my Note 7.
That Optimus G Pro had the coolest notification light ever. Loved that phone.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
A few years back I went from the Note 1 to the Optimus G Pro by LG a great alternative to the Note 2 which at the time I wasn't impressed by. No one heard of this phone and I believe it only came out on AT&T my carrier. Got a wireless charging case for it and loved it but almost no one had heard of it. So now I'm going from a Note 7 to the V20 so I'm happy not everyone and their brother will have one like an Iphone. But I will sure miss my Note 7.

I had the Optimus G Pro too! Man that thing was a beast. It was the first time I ever had a screen that big (5.5 inches) or that sharp (1080p). I took some great photos and videos with it too.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

There's just one problem, the Note 7 no longer exists

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
This one sounds good from the title.. Going to read it now :).

LG V20 review: Everything a power user wants | Android Central

See, here's a guy who spent a little time with the phone, but not enough to understand it completely.

For example, he dismisses the second screen as a gimmick and doesn't see that it can do anything he can't do otherwise--but if he actually used the phone for any length of time, he'd come to understand the things it provides that you can't do any other way.

Reviews are OK as a general guide of what to think about, but do the thinking for yourself--understand that you have no idea if that reviewer is a candidate for the Jerry Springer show or not.

Osahar 87

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Amoled screens are nice, but are super overrated! I'm not color blind so I don't need all that over saturation and yellow tint on my whites lol.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
See, here's a guy who spent a little time with the phone, but not enough to understand it completely.

For example, he dismisses the second screen as a gimmick and doesn't see that it can do anything he can't do otherwise--but if he actually used the phone for any length of time, he'd come to understand the things it provides that you can't do any other way.

Reviews are OK as a general guide of what to think about, but do the thinking for yourself--understand that you have no idea if that reviewer is a candidate for the Jerry Springer show or not.

As always - reviews are meant to give people a guide. They never are 100% for everyone. In reality it is the opinion of the reviewer. I always read views and see what people say and come to my own conclusions. It is what I always suggest family and friends .. and pretty much everyone to do :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Amoled screens are nice, but are super overrated! I'm not color blind so I don't need all that over saturation and yellow tint on my whites lol.

I can say there was no yellow tint on white with my Note 7 or my Pixel that I can see. It is only yellow if I turn on the night time display.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have been with Samsung since the beginning. I really love how they use to be so innovative and trying new things to be different. Now they want to be popular and defeat Apple. For the first time, I'm jumping ship and going with LG. Removable batteries and IR blasters were basic features they took out so they can have a "beautiful" looking phone. Same thing with Google, the new Pixel looks so much like the iPhone...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc