Tempered Glass Screen Protector

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
What tempered glass screen protector are you using for the V20? I ordered one on Amazon, but then later new reviews revealed that the protector is the incorrect size. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that covers the whole screen?

Thanks.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I purchases this one. It cover entire "lit" screen and secondary which is good because the V20 top and bottom screen bevel does not affect it.

When applying, start at bottom where the screen lights up and your good. I have had it installed since e Sunday and no real issues as of yet. Good price to get one by until something more superman release. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5522912

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bear in mind that the tempered glass is no harder than Gorilla Glass 4 (actually, GG4 approaches synthetic sapphire in hardness). About the only difference is that when GG4 breaks, it breaks into large shards (which can stab through your hand), but when tempered glass breaks, it crumbles into tiny and not-very-sharp pieces. They both have about the same scratch resistance. (And it's pretty easy to get a cooling defect in glass, and have it shatter when you drop the phone - even if it's on the case, not the glass.)

Plastic, 3/$5 screen protectors aren't hard or tough - if you're careless you'll scratch them. But at $1.66, that's not too much of a concern (and my 4 year old one still has no scratches). AND - the plastic absorbs some of the shock, so the screen might survive a drop as well as a tempered glass protector. (And the pieces are held together if the protector is attached with adhesive).

Until we get transparent metal, that's about the best we can do. Hard, scratch-resistant protectors break, soft, shock-absorbing protectors scratch.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Bear in mind that the tempered glass is no harder than Gorilla Glass 4 (actually, GG4 approaches synthetic sapphire in hardness). About the only difference is that when GG4 breaks, it breaks into large shards (which can stab through your hand), but when tempered glass breaks, it crumbles into tiny and not-very-sharp pieces. They both have about the same scratch resistance. (And it's pretty easy to get a cooling defect in glass, and have it shatter when you drop the phone - even if it's on the case, not the glass.)

Plastic, 3/$5 screen protectors aren't hard or tough - if you're careless you'll scratch them. But at $1.66, that's not too much of a concern (and my 4 year old one still has no scratches). AND - the plastic absorbs some of the shock, so the screen might survive a drop as well as a tempered glass protector. (And the pieces are held together if the protector is attached with adhesive).

Until we get transparent metal, that's about the best we can do. Hard, scratch-resistant protectors break, soft, shock-absorbing protectors scratch.

I just find that any of the plastic ones create a weird friction on the phone. I'd rather have the glass ones because invariably they collect some micro scratch, and I'd rather replace it than look at a scratch on my actual screen for the life of the phone. I just haven't found any that fit the V20 yet. All of the Amazon ones seem to be fake or not perfect for the V20.

traviswhayne

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if a tempered glass protector from the V10 would work on the V20. I ask because Tech Armor still carries the V10 one and they are the best performing in my opinion?

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Anyone know if a tempered glass protector from the V10 would work on the V20. I ask because Tech Armor still carries the V10 one and they are the best performing in my opinion?

It won't be the exact fit that you're looking for. I think we are going to be waiting a bit for a good product. I hear it comes new with a protector installed so I may leave that on until the market shakes out.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Apparently, there is a top and bottom curvature on the V20. Therefore, most protectors are going to detach at the top and bottom. Most likely, it will be very difficult to find a glass protector that has full coverage. UGH. Annoyed by these curved screens.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
It won't be the exact fit that you're looking for. I think we are going to be waiting a bit for a good product. I hear it comes new with a protector installed so I may leave that on until the market shakes out.
Yeah except the att variants....The protector they have on there has a don't text a drive image on it........I got one off eBay and I go to pick up my phone tomorrow .. .I'll chime in and let you guys know if the one I got is any good....

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yeah except the att variants....The protector they have on there has a don't text a drive image on it........I got one off eBay and I go to pick up my phone tomorrow .. .I'll chime in and let you guys know if the one I got is any good....
Same with Sprint, that's why I'm using the crappy OtterBox defender screen protector still. I just want tempered glass so I can take my phone out of the defender and put it in my Spigen liquid crystal when I'm not at work.