OMG my camera lens is shattered!

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
With all the phones I have had over the years I 've never had this happen to me but my rear camera lens is shattered! I have no idea how it happened as I have had it in a case since I took it out of the box. I have only taken 3 pictures with it previously as I haven't had a whole lot of time to even mess with it and I went to take a picture this evening and the color seemed a little washed out so I thought there might be plastic over the lens and thats when I noticed it. It is not just cracked but shattered like a windshield would do. I am sick, the only thing I can do is pay the insurance and get it replaced or maybe go to my TMobile store and see if they can help. Can a camera lens be replaced? Maybe I should have stayed with Samsung......:'( Any suggestions?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, this is starting to get either suspicious or troubling. I've seen quite a few reports from people in the forums about this very issue :( I really hope it's isolated, but it's starting to look like it's not :S

Hope T-Mo/LG will honor the warranty on this one, especially since you can't have used it for over 2 weeks.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
More reports on Reddit of the lens glass breaking as well. This is a manufacturing problem, so LG should be held accountable. I must admit having to check your post history first in order to see if trolling, since the timing is convenient in relation to the issue.

Just like the N7 battery, most in the forum for the device are initially incredulous to the matter, but this seems to be more than the small percent of Note 7s. Samsung pushed over a million in the first week and LG is at best pushing 100,000 and that is being optimistic.

As I posted before, LG needs to address this now or watch sales plummet. If they do not own it and support customers 100%, they will regret it.

My BB V20 is still in preorder / in progress stasis, but will not open the box unless LG covers all damage to the camera glass without impacting warranty and no deductible. If have to mail this in for repair I will not bother going through this again. Already did twice with the Note 7. Somehow do not sense will get the same support with LG.

Petty vent finished.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh jeez...
First my note 7, now this? Please no

Though not as serious as the N7 issue, this seems to be a much higher rate of devices with the issue based on the ratio of devices in comparison to the N7. If people have to return the devices for repair, this becomes just as much a problem for customers as the N7. That is unless people do not mind shattered camera glass, or exposed camera lenses that are VERY sensitive to scratches.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
OP...you just posted this in another
thread...having that here probably would help.

"I can't test mine, not sure what happened I don't normally just drop my phone in my purse but I was in a hurry today and I missed the pocket I put it in so it just went to the bottom and something punched against the back camera lens and shattered it...... I'm so sick and I'm really very protective of my phones too .....:)"

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
My best guess is because the camera lens protrudes out quite a bit. Users need to be careful while setting the phone down on a hard surface. I just activated my V20 today. Hopefully this will not grow into a major issue for the LG V20.....

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
OP...you just posted this in another
thread...having that here probably would help.

"I can't test mine, not sure what happened I don't normally just drop my phone in my purse but I was in a hurry today and I missed the pocket I put it in so it just went to the bottom and something punched against the back camera lens and shattered it...... I'm so sick and I'm really very protective of my phones too .....:)"

More reports of the issue are popping up, but this example seems too specific to the cause. If dropped in purse, how so intuitive that something apparently punched the lens to cause the problem? Why not just presume the drop caused it? No offense at all intended.

Dropping the device does not seems to hurt it, but specific force or scratches applied to the camera glass surface appear to cause it. Typical of a brittle glass too tight in the bezel securing it.

LG needs to address this quickly to stop the perception. The media are taking the events and treating them at a higher rate than probably happening by reporting the same ones over and over.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well I have had my V20 for about 3 hours. I got it thinking I would just try it for 2 weeks and then return it.

However it is pretty great.

That being said, I have never broken any screen on any phone, and I am not using a case. So far so good, but I will be super unhappy if it cracks.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That's why I said it was either suspicious or troubling hehe. I don't have a V20, but was considering it to replace the Note 7 (am traveling at the moment, so couldn't get one on pre-order).

But most reports I've seen either refer to the post on Reddit or don't offer any more info or pictures on the issue, so I'm giving LG the benefit of the doubt. However, coming from a second recalled Note 7, we all know how 'nah, it's an isolated issue' can turn out. :p

Most probably do not provide more info since pi$$ed off. Especially if like me that already went through two Note 7s and wasted two days overall downloading and setting up again for 350 apps.

Of course some might be fake, but glass issue seems real.

Even the concept of a third device in a row to have to return and go to a fourth device is (though petty in the scheme of life) mind boggling. Never had to return a device until the N7. Jeepers.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope this is not a thing. I believed the phone drama was in my rear view mirror when I dumped the N7, hopefully we don't get rear ended by LG.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully someone will make a tempered glass for the camera lens. Kind of scared with the large triangle cut out in the defender and I've never worried about my phones in a defender.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Most should visit LGs Facebook page an inquire about the lense. Make a little noise. Maybe they will be forced to address before our 2 week return period . I have seen a few comments by users there already. Not trying to jump the gun here but I am not going to get screwed by another phone with issues. IPhone is going to be killing it this year!!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
LG needs to expedite a tempered glass protector and two day ship for free to all customers as fast as they can possibly make it happen. Only logical bridge, short of the R word. LG has apparently made a faulty device.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
LG needs to expedite a tempered glass protector and two day ship for free to all customers as fast as they can possibly make it happen. Only logical bridge, short of the R word. LG has apparently made a faulty device.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Well not sure where to actually post it but I certainly will post it anywhere to get the word out that it seems that the lens is cheaply made. I don't misuse my phone and didn't find anything in my purse that would have punctured the lens hard enough to cause it shatter like that.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well not sure where to actually post it but I certainly will post it anywhere to get the word out that it seems that the lens is cheaply made. I don't misuse my phone and didn't find anything in my purse that would have punctured the lens hard enough to cause it shatter like that.

I would force the issue where you bought it. There is enough information now and coverage that LG would be foolish to ignore this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad