OMG my camera lens is shattered!

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh man that's a tough one. No way is a carrier going to belive that wasn't done from carelessness. Believe me, I am not saying your at fault , I am just saying it looks Bad. It's my kind of luck so I feel for ya. Good luck getting a replacement, hope all works out for the best.

Carriers won't believe it until they see it repeatedly. When my G4 bootlooped, TMobile had no idea what was going on.. Then a few weeks later they had a plan in place.

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Well, I should not have tried to remove what I thought was a plastic coating over the lens and I ran my finger over it a couple of times so I am sure I didn't help it any but I can still view the camera and take pictures. The wide angle view is better but the regular lens is a little washed out but I just saw a video of a guy reviewing the phone on how it will scratch on the casing and screen and he was using a utility knife and then he proceeded to go to the back on the camera and was barely scratching across the lens and it cracked right there on the video. I also saw another picture of one that shattered like mine but didn't have the hole like but there is still an issue. It has a flaw and it seems it starts out as a hairline crack and spreads like a spider web. Everyone should be aware of this as it looks like it is going to get worse and it's only been a few days and these are just preorders and hasn't even hit the stores yet. I am still holding out that they will cover it, if not I guess I'm out $175.00.....

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Well, I should not have tried to remove what I thought was a plastic coating over the lens and I ran my finger over it a couple of times so I am sure I didn't help it any but I can still view the camera and take pictures. The wide angle view is better but the regular lens is a little washed out but I just saw a video of a guy reviewing the phone on how it will scratch on the casing and screen and he was using a utility knife and then he proceeded to go to the back on the camera and was barely scratching across the lens and it cracked right there on the video. I also saw another picture of one that shattered like mine but didn't have the hole like but there is still an issue. It has a flaw and it seems it starts out as a hairline crack and spreads like a spider web. Everyone should be aware of this as it looks like it is going to get worse and it's only been a few days and these are just preorders and hasn't even hit the stores yet. I am still holding out that they will cover it, if not I guess I'm out $175.00.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/58whx0/seems_like_the_camera_glass_on_the_lg_v20_is_very/

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Did you remove the plastic before it broke?

BTW the replacement glass is not that expensive but I don't know if its available yet. Its actually easy to replace. I know because I did it on my G5. I would not do it through T Mobile. Call LG and see what they say. Maybe they will fix it no charge if you yell loud enough. The only thing is it will take almost two weeks to get it back.

Kansatsusha

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Did you remove the plastic before it broke?

BTW the replacement glass is not that expensive but I don't know if its available yet. Its actually easy to replace. I know because I did it on my G5. I would not do it through T Mobile. Call LG and see what they say. Maybe they will fix it no charge if you yell loud enough. The only thing is it will take almost two weeks to get it back.

It easy to replace? humm =) anyways I have some custom screen protector that i could put on the camera... I wonder if I should if i do get it.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm very sorry this had happened !!! I have had my V20 since Saturday and also place it in my handbag 95% of the time.

I have a dedicated side pocket inside my bags where only my phone goes into since I have my keys and whatnot as well.

Sucks since we shouldn't be paranoid with what looks to be a fragile lens ugh.

Hope it works out for you with as little grief as possible.

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you are in your 20 days period can't you return it? Would you still have to pay a fee? Or the $175? Apart from jumping to another phone that insurance is useless. Everything is $175....lol.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Any direct acute force or a scratch- even slight apparently causes the problem. What did LG use- sugar instead of sand?..... Do not try to lick the glass to test, since your taste buds would likely scratch the glass ;) I'm joking now, anyway....

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I just picksup my v20 2 days ago. I am half afraid now and wondering if I should return it for a different phone?

Heck I'm all out of ideas? S7e is having issues, AT&T does not sell pixel....what's left iphone?

Anybody else here thinking of returning the v20 for something else? If so what? I'm am honestly paranoid what will happen down the road when it's too late to return it!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note - Let's all take a step back and relax. We aren't here to mock and talk down to people -- that isn't our thing. If you want to contribute please do so following the spirit of P.U.P.P.A.H. If you don't like the topic simply skip on to one of the many others within this section. If you do see a problem post please report it so the mods can take a look.

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Thanks.

pvcleave

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I have never been a fan of LG products, but was going to try the V20 because of the audio capabilities. I am with AT&T and at $830, I do not think I want to try it, with the lens issues. There are starting to be too many negatives with this phone, for me.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just picksup my v20 2 days ago. I am half afraid now and wondering if I should return it for a different phone?

Heck I'm all out of ideas? S7e is having issues, AT&T does not sell pixel....what's left iphone?

Anybody else here thinking of returning the v20 for something else? If so what? I'm am honestly paranoid what will happen down the road when it's too late to return it!

i left the S7 Edge for my V20. I like it, but I'm not all blown away by it. Love the huge screen. And I know this camera glass issue is probably not a huge widespread issue. However it doesn't stop my brain from thinking that I need to baby it.

I am thinking if I dont fall head over heels in love, I will try the Moto Z Force, if that doesn't blow me away, go back to my S7 Edge

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From my history:

Droid Razr, battery problem

M8, weak USB ports

G4, bootloop issues

N7, battery problems

V20, (possibly) weak camera glass

Pick your poison folks, phones just suck for durability.