OMG my camera lens is shattered!

gospelsoulsax

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I had seen the videos of the G5 replacement and it looks like there's a little more work involved with this one but in a good way. The plastic piece looks like no trouble to remove and would make replacing the glass piece super easy.

I had emailed LG Friday and they responded saying I could send my phone in for repair, when all I asked was whether or not it would be possible to get a replacement piece of glass because I felt confident doing the repair myself. Maybe I'll try calling support in the morning and just raising hell without shooting expletives at the person on the other end of the line and just explain to them that I'll happily pay for a new lens, I just want to fix it and be done with it and not send my phone in. Really do enjoy this phone but it's a huge inconvenience not being able to use the camera.

Mine just broke the other morning from fall off my bath towel to the sink (like 2 or 3 inches) and u definitely would like a replacement glass... It does look simple to swap out...

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I am the original poster and every one has a comment to make of this issue. To this day nothing has been done. I call at least once a week asking about a replacement part as they are relatively easy to replace but they still don't have the parts available yet.
Again I will say that I did nothing to cause it to crack like that. I have written LG more than once, called and complained but they have not even had the courtesy to return a response.
I've never been more disappointed with a phone then I am with this LG. I would love to use the camera as I have missed our on some great opportunities on some great pics but to protect the lens itself from any damage I keep the lens covered with tape and would have to remove it each time to take a pic. The wide angle is the one I can't use because of the cracked glass causes a prism effect like a halo on the pictures so I just don't use the camera at all. I just find it hard to believe that after almost 2 months parts are still not available.
I went through 2 N7's and now this so I'm done with LG. I should have stayed with Samsung. I am more disappointed with LG for not responding. It proves to me that they have little concern for the consumer and the result this may have for their future sales if this issue continues and not step up to the plate and take responsibility that there is a flaw in the glass which with little stress can cause the cracking and any pressure or stress after the fact can cause the shattering as mine did. More than a few have cracked so this to me convinces me that is not a isolated incidence.

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
True, but all the ones I've seen look like a puncture caused the damage, which understandably raises the question of how many of these were user caused. I've never seen simple stress fractures look like the images posted here, so that kind of result would need an explanation.
Once the lens cracks it doesn't take much for it spread and with the center of the lens being so thin it comes off like tiny grains of sand and keeps spreading . I don't think anyone that has had this issue caused it themselves. I know I didn't.

datgoldmember

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Once the lens cracks it doesn't take much for it spread and with the center of the lens being so thin it comes off like tiny grains of sand and keeps spreading . I don't think anyone that has had this issue caused it themselves. I know I didn't.

Exactly my thoughts..I just received my replacement V20 so if this one decides to Crack on its own, I think I'm done with LG

Attachments

• 9927.jpg
    9927.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 35

gcliff23

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
...Again I will say that I did nothing to cause it to crack like that...
...I went through 2 N7's and now this so I'm done with LG. I should have stayed with Samsung...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you drop your phone in your purse? Something had to have hit it when you put it away. Saying you did nothing to cause it to crack would mean that the lens simply cracked on its own without being touched.
Also, you'd rather deal with a possible exploding battery and the crippling update on the N7's than a cracked camera lens? Doesn't Samsung also have their own issues with sensitive camera lens on their S7/S7E phones?

jb4kats

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you drop your phone in your purse? Something had to have hit it when you put it away. Saying you did nothing to cause it to crack would mean that the lens simply cracked on its own without being touched.
Also, you'd rather deal with a possible exploding battery and the crippling update on the N7's than a cracked camera lens? Doesn't Samsung also have their own issues with sensitive camera lens on their S7/S7E phones?

No I did not get a warranty replacement and no I did not Drop mine in my purse, it was in my purse and I didn't find anything in it that would have caused it to do that. I'm not saying that after it cracked something didn't hit it too name it look like that, I don't know what did it. It could have already been cracked before I even put it in my purse that day. I don't really know what happened, I'll never know. I had only taken a few pics the first day I got it and then noticed it a few days later. But I'm not filing a claim now, I'm wasting on a replacement part.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
No I did not get a warranty replacement and no I did not Drop mine in my purse, it was in my purse and I didn't find anything in it that would have caused it to do that. I'm not saying that after it cracked something didn't hit it too name it look like that, I don't know what did it. It could have already been cracked before I even put it in my purse that day. I don't really know what happened, I'll never know. I had only taken a few pics the first day I got it and then noticed it a few days later. But I'm not filing a claim now, I'm wasting on a replacement part.

I didn't have a chance to read all the posts, so maybe this has been discussed. Why would you not request a warranty replacement? Wouldn't a warranty replacement not cost you anything? I assume filing a claim with your insurance would result in a deductible, but aren't warranty replacements through LG and should be no cost to you? That was my understanding of the LG warranty (but I could be wrong). Or did you request one and LG is refusing to send you a replacement under the warranty?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I didn't have a chance to read all the posts, so maybe this has been discussed. Why would you not request a warranty replacement? Wouldn't a warranty replacement not cost you anything? I assume filing a claim with your insurance would result in a deductible, but aren't warranty replacements through LG and should be no cost to you? That was my understanding of the LG warranty (but I could be wrong). Or did you request one and LG is refusing to send you a replacement under the warranty?

You can't force a warranty replacement on something like this unless it's a known issue or the carrier is sympathetic to your issue. In most cases they are going to assume customer neglect. It also helps if you are a long term customer. Verizon has taken care of me on more grab one occasion with out of warranty work.

gcliff23

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thank you ma'am for the clarification.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
You can't force a warranty replacement on something like this unless it's a known issue or the carrier is sympathetic to your issue. In most cases they are going to assume customer neglect. It also helps if you are a long term customer. Verizon has taken care of me on more grab one occasion with out of warranty work.

I know a warranty replacement cannot be forced, but has OP actually asked for one? I just want to know if she at least tried to get a warranty replacement. What is the harm in asking for a warranty replacement? The worst outcome is they say no. I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if she actually asked for one and was rejected.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone tried a local glass shop to see if they could make one?

Nothing yet, as far as I can tell. I check everything daily to see if anyone has anything at all.

Still using mine as a daily driver, but the camera being handicapped sucks. I bring my note 7 with me everywhere just so if I need pictures, especially at work, I can snap clear ones. First world problems 8 suppose.

I keep trying to convince myself to get an S7E for now over my Note but I can't do it. Best Buy had a $250 gift card deal with AT&T last week and I almost got one but now the offer is gone. Meh.

Wish LG would just let us purchase the piece. Don't give a damn if it voids my warranty, just send me the whole plastic piece the glass is adhered to and pet me fix my stupid camera!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So has this issue been worked out or is this still a problem with the v20 the camera easily cracking? Is it enough to go with iphone over this?