Signal strength

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
What has your experience been with the V20 in terms of signal strength? I seem to have better signal in areas where I didn't before, yet lesser signal in areas that were consistent previously, sometimes. I know manufacturers all seem to have a variance between gps/radios, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What has your experience been with the V20 in terms of signal strength? I seem to have better signal in areas where I didn't before, yet lesser signal in areas that were consistent previously, sometimes. I know manufacturers all seem to have a variance between gps/radios, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation.

Some demo reviews pointed this out and some forum posts, but best way to confirm is own use. Note 7 and Pixel are bottom of the barrel for this year and apparently the V20 is tops. What carrier are you with?

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to quantify if phone "x" has better reception than phone "y"?
If so how? What test is used? What resultant figure (data) should I look for?

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm getting mine today. Will report back. I got the pixel and it was excellent the first couple days and then it completely bottomed out and I'm getting terrible service. I can't get service in my office without wifi calling. I hate to go back to 7 plus but I've got to find something that gives me good signal in my office.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to quantify if phone "x" has better reception than phone "y"?
If so how? What test is used? What resultant figure (data) should I look for?

dBm signal strength. Should be in About Phone and the Phone Status. Unless you compare a previous device and then with a new one you notice it is different (example is my two Note 7s did not do good in my basement for LTE, but my Note 4 has no problem). My Note 7 was 10 dBm less than my Note 4 in mid to weak areas. That is huge for reception and battery life.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting mine today. Will report back. I got the pixel and it was excellent the first couple days and then it completely bottomed out and I'm getting terrible service. I can't get service in my office without wifi calling. I hate to go back to 7 plus but I've got to find something that gives me good signal in my office.

Should be a good test then :)

NJ Fred

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I am on Verizon in Southern New Jersey.

In areas where my Nexus 6 raked in one or two bars, my V20 is up to almost full strength.

I conclude the reading is accurate because calls in those areas no longer drop as they did with my Nexus.

I don't know, nor care, how LG achieved this praiseworthy benchmark - - you cannot quarrel with success!

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Should be a good test then :)

I've had it a few hours and its showing the same level of bars as the Pixel. Man I wish the V20 came with a Amoled. I guess I just like the way the colors pop but really good screen nonetheless. Absolutely no cases at Verizon for it yet. WTF. I'll report back if I have any signal issues.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Okay but without an objective test ... known and stable signal at strength nnn, nn miles from (phone) receiver all we really have is conjecture (?).
And the cell towers, who sets the rule (_if any_) on the continous signal strength out of them?
Show me Samsung next to LG next to Pixel with the same OS and the same App and maybe that's good data, maybe.
But, returning to my original thought, who watches the watchers? If I've got a cell tower 3.5 miles to the ESE of me (which is about right) how do I know I'm getting 100% of the signal I'm _PAYING_ for from it?!!!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had it a few hours and its showing the same level of bars as the Pixel. Man I wish the V20 came with a Amoled. I guess I just like the way the colors pop but really good screen nonetheless. Absolutely no cases at Verizon for it yet. WTF. I'll report back if I have any signal issues.

Please compare the dBm of the Pixel and LG. My Note 4 and 7 showed the same bars (as example) in my basement, but the Note 7 struggled and the Note 4 works. 10 dBm difference, but same bars.

10 dBm is significant in medium to weak areas. Especially battery. Think of an LTE radio as a car climbing a hill with no moderation. It keeps gunning for the top (signal) even if it overheats and runs out of gas. Why LTE does not have theshold options so if in a weak area, it simply stops trying until in a decent area seems baffling. A dynamic dBm threshold setting option for turning data off would rock.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm with ATT and my LTE coverage wasn't great with the note 7 I was averaging 2 bars now I'm getting a extra bar or 2 in the same areas....

Always look at the -dBm signal. Bars mean nothing really when talking about a Note 7 and V20. Samsung and LG have different equations for what signal = X number of bars. All phones do really. The -dBm is the true signal strength and is measured the same.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
With Verizon I have a much better signal here at the house than with my iphone. The iphone always showed one bar of 4g and I get three (at least at the moment) with the V20. As others stated they can make these read however they want. I have horrible coverage here. It is up and down all the time. Its weird because 2 miles in any direction and its great everywhere

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure I wouldn't know a -dBm if it bit me.
How-some-ever ... Open Signal (app) says I've currently got a -115 dBm signal from a cell tower. That's like 5 miles SSE of here. Well that's bogus cause the Map displayed put the tower in the middle of a retiree mobile home park (I don't think so)!
Next time I'm down that way I'll have to look around and see if there's a tower anywhere near there.

missouriexile

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Curious of this myself. My pixel xl isn't doing so well in rural areas.

I live in about the worst signal area possible. (short of being completely out of range).
My v10 gets 2 bars consistently. Other phones are sol at my home. (Verizon) my earlier G4 was just as good. Assuming v20 is just as good.

GhostOb1

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
LG V20 signal is terrible regardless of location. It is generally -110 dBM (bars are useless so ignore them) which is way below the minimum signal strength rendering the phone next to useless.

Wife has Apple 6 on same provider, AT&T, and never has any problems anywhere (except inside buildings with thick walls and metal frame.) so it seems reasonable to conclude there is an issue with the phone.

BTW, this is the 2nd V20 I have had. First one died within 30 days so I got a replacement but it is exactly the same in terms of true signal strength (dBM). Really frustrating to pay good money for a phone from a major manufacturer only to have LOUSY performance. Note the G4 I had before the V20 died in the first year.

Am considering dumping the V20 and avoiding LG in the future as I cannot afford the cost nor the nuisance of having a phone that performs so poorly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante