WiFi issues

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I actually see something that may be part of the issue. If I sit on the wifi screen about every 10 to 20 seconds it says SEARCHING, I do not think it should be doing this. It has to be killing the battery also.

Then again maybe its supposed to as long as you are on that screen. Now I think about it , it sort of makes sense.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Good idea... Send me a note on that as well please... So if I run across that at work.
I called Verizon today. They said the same thing you suggested. They said to turn off smart wifi. When I informed them it wasn't in the settings they grabbed a phone and couldn't find it either. I got put on hold while the escalated it to top levels and actually called LG. After LG saying the same thing LG checked and the smart wifi option was left out of the Verizon software. It is in AT&T and other carriers. LG said it still should not do what it is doing and said it is most likely a hardware issue and Verizon should replace the phone under their 14 day guarantee. So that is what they are doing. The BS part is it costs me $40 still (taxes). I do get that back when they get this phone back but it is still $40 out of my pocket for now. Verizon also stated that while I was on hold they also discussed putting the smart wifi switch back in the software in a future update.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
At least I have another screen protector to put on the new device.

That protector might not reinstall well. It's not designed for multiple applications.

BTW....I believe your 14 day return windows restarts with the replacement because its treated as a new purchase.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That protector might not reinstall well. It's not designed for multiple applications.

BTW....I believe your 14 day return windows restarts with the replacement because its treated as a new purchase.
? Lol. Either you read it wrong or I worded it poorly. I said I had another protector for the new device. I bought a two pack.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I thought you meant the plastic one that comes pre-installed on some of the phones. If you have tempered glass ones you should be able to install the old one on a new phone

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the new one this morning. So far I have not seen the issue but I will hold judgement as it didn't appear initially with the other phone either. I really think they need to add the smart Wi-Fi switch back in the settings. I screwed up the new protector. I couldn't get it straight and a side kept coming up. Eventually I got print on the sticky side. But I managed to get the one off the other phone and on perfectly. Weird.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
On another note, Verizon forgot to send me a shipping label and envelope to return the old phone. I had to call. I hope they don't try to charge me when the old phone doesn't get back in a week.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok. I may have narrowed it down though I am still testing. I let the phone sit every time I made changes this time, My phone started doing it again. I believe it is caused by location services. When I got the phone it was in battery saver mode and it was fine. I then turned on High Accuracy and Izat. Then the problem started again. I have since turned off Izat and things seem to be stable. If it does it again I will go back to battery saver. If all it takes is battery saver mode to fix it or turning off Izat I am fine. I only need that stuff when I am away from Wi-Fi anyway. If it is the case then I have to wonder again if turning off smart Wi-Fi , an option Verizon removed from settings, might also fix it so you could enable the above.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon today. They said the same thing you suggested. They said to turn off smart wifi. When I informed them it wasn't in the settings they grabbed a phone and couldn't find it either. I got put on hold while the escalated it to top levels and actually called LG. After LG saying the same thing LG checked and the smart wifi option was left out of the Verizon software. It is in AT&T and other carriers. LG said it still should not do what it is doing and said it is most likely a hardware issue and Verizon should replace the phone under their 14 day guarantee. So that is what they are doing. The BS part is it costs me $40 still (taxes). I do get that back when they get this phone back but it is still $40 out of my pocket for now. Verizon also stated that while I was on hold they also discussed putting the smart wifi switch back in the software in a future update.

Wow that's a pretty big deal! They actually called LG and might make a change for everyone because of a problem you found.

While they were removing all of LG's software they must have removed that without realizing it

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Well it did it again, but it took awhile. My speed drop seemed to coincide with the phone searching for location. I am going back to Saver mode with IZAT off. If it still does it there then it almost has to be the smart Wi-Fi settings, I can deal with it if it occurs a lot less frequently on saver mode while they figure it out. Either way I have to report to Verizon again,

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Wow that's a pretty big deal! They actually called LG and might make a change for everyone because of a problem you found.

While they were removing all of LG's software they must have removed that without realizing it
The tech support guy said he was calling LG and told me to hang on, it would only be a minute. A half hour later he came back on and explained all he went through escalating the call and getting one of his bosses in on the call. I was actually impressed. I have been blown off by Verizon tech support in the past.

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok guys. That has to be it. I have been in saver mode for hours with zero wifi speed issues or reconnect notifications other than when I first switched. Apparently things start acting up when GPS startts and the phone tries to get your location. I am going to call support Monday morning and I suggest anyone else with issues do so as well. I suspect smart wifi issues but it could be a software glitch or anything. For now I will just set my hime profile to turn off GPS when I am here. If I ear to use Wi-Fi elsewhere I will just manually go to saver mode.

Glass_Rain

May 22, 2016
Visit site
So... The new firmware has none of the options for controlling your radio?
That's scary!!
I'm glad you called and got that label... They did that to me but I was working oncall that week and forgot about... but they DO NOT forget you... I got the notice about a large charge to ky account!😱😲😵

BigRalphN

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to follow up since I spent more time with Verizon today. They are aware of the issue and it more reports are coming in. Location services is the culprit on my phone, though smart wifi is considered to be the culprit. A replacement phone did the same thing. The workaround for now is to keep location services to in the battery saver mode while on wifi, especially 5g wifi.if your phone seems slow, just enable battery saver in settings and reconnect to your wifi. It should b fine after. When outside or out of wifi area setting high accuracy is fine. The only issue is that certain apps will change location to high accuracy. So you may have it change at times. Also this is not a 100% work around. I have found that on occasion you have to turn wifi off and on even if it's in battery saver, but it is not a frequent issue. Verizon said they are working with LG and hope a fix will be ready by the next update. As slow as Verizon is with updates who knows when that will be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae