Note 4 to LG V20

Nizzler

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
No need to pick up the phone immediately once the screen goes off. A quick double tap on the screen will reactivate it. Just depends on what you have your lock timer set to.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
yeah, but it's still cumbersome unless you set it a very high time, which defeats the purpose of a secure lockscreen. Plus, if you're in my case, having your work e-mail on your phone enforces tighter secure settings, including immediate locking after the screen times out. It wouldn't be that bad if you could pair fingerprints with a pattern lock instead of a password :(

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
My battery life with the Note 4 is 5 hours SOT with MM update, reset to stock and a new battery. Wish it was like this for the year I used it when launched. Note 7 got 5.5 hours SOT and will be interesting to see how the V20 is with my own use. MXPE for the last year was at best, 4 hours SOT.

The J Williams YouTube posts and my own brief tests with a stock retail V20 has me still concerned about the low light pics. It seems no better than the Note 4 or MXPE.

I get folks that have the device have their own experience, so hoping mine gets on par too after using. Low light pics should be tap and shoot good. Note 7 (RIP), 7 Plus and Pixel take very good low light tap and shoot pics. If I have to do manual adjustments for each low light pic, I will probably return it. Here is hoping comparing the Pixel, 7 Plus and V20 in store was a fluke.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'd say the S7 Edge is a no-brainer. The V20 is a 'yeah, sounds cool, but I need to brain it a bit', really. It's not a bad phone, mind you, but if you loved the Note 4 experience, the V20 WILL mean having some learning curve and adjusting yourself to LG's ways. The S7 Edge is just as good (better, even, if it wasn't for that 'meager' 32GB) and keeps on with the Samsung way. Easier, smoother transition.
I don't like the distorted view through the curved glass nor the smaller screen. I also like the ir blaster. The only thing I like about s7e is the camera.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Low light pics are definitely better than Note 4, but not even close to Note 7, and I might even say a liiiiitle below Note 5. You definitely don't get as 'warm' pictures in low light as you do on Samsung units. They're not bad, though. Just not the best. Daylight pics, however, are very good. You might miss the vibrant (if exaggerated at times) colors of Samsung pictures, but the V20 definitely has some camera power here. And where it shines is in the sheer amount of manual control you get, and now even on video. Haven't tested SloMo video, though. That was something the Note 4 was very crappy in.

jenny

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Last night proved to be tricky with the fingerprint reader on the back: Cooking. It's really, REALLY inconvenient having to pick up the phone with food-covered hands every time the screen goes off to follow an on-screen recipe. Ugh.

Would setting up a knock code fix that problem?

Kaelon

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I came from the Note 4, and can give you my two cents. (FWIW, I had originally upgraded from the Note 4 to the Note 7, returned the Note 7 during the original recall, but mercifully I decided to wait to see if the new versions of the Note 7 were any better -- thank God!)

I had the Note 4 since its release over 2 years ago. I consider both phones in the same "class" of Enterprise Phone because they have (a) premium design, (b) removable batteries, and (c) expandable storage.

• Battery: The 3220 mAh battery of the LG V20, while identical to the 3220 mAh battery of the Note 4, appears to last much longer than the Note 4. Some of this has to do with Doze, which under Nougat is even more efficient than it was under Marshmellow. But the LG V20's hardware appears to sip power less aggressively than the Note 4. I can usually go a full day with about 4-5 hours of watching movies and 3-4 hours of talk time using Skype, GoToMeeting, or Google Hangouts.

• Display: The S-AMOLED display of the Note 4 is, simply put, better. Its colors are brighter, its darks are more arresting (because when it's black, the LED is actually off!), and altogether, the images it depicts are more vivid. However, the IPS LCD screen of the LG V20 is impressive and gorgeous to behold. It is the same type of screen as Apple's Retina Display, but matching the Note 4's QHD pixel density. In my case, I barely noticed the difference -- and when I do, it's under artificial conditions (such as in the darkness of a pitch-black bedroom at night). Alternatively, the IPS LCD screen seems to endure better in the bright sunlight than the S-AMOLED, even though you'd expect just the opposite. I think Note 4 users will be pleasantly surprised with the LG V20's IPS LCD screen, considering by most measures, it is a cheaper alternative to the S-AMOLED.

• Power: Without a doubt, the LG V20's Snapdragon 820 processor is a beast. It's snappy, speedy, and highly resistant to throttling events. It's foolish to compare it to the processors used by the Note 4, because these are several generations inferior. And it shows. You can download dozens of apps and have them running in the background on the LG V20 without even noticing it, whereas the Note 4 would noticeably get slower every time you downloaded a new app and it was loaded into resident memory. Part of this has to do with the amount of RAM (the LG V20's 4 GB to the Note 4's 3 GB), but the processors and their built-in cache handling is far superior to the Note 4's.

• Build Quality: The LG V20 is a much more premium experience, with its all-metal design, as compared to the Note 4's hybrid metal-and-plastic backing (the latter making Qi-standard wireless charging possible -- something that is generally not possible with the stock build of the LG V20). The device feels both lighter and sturdier in your hand than the Note 4, which at times felt like a chunky toy. The full metal design of the LG V20 also lends itself to its rated military industrial scores, ensuring that it is shock-proof from most normal falls and wear-and-tear. The LG V20 is a significant step above the Note 4 in every way, physically.

• Software: LG's skin of Android 7.0 Nougat is about as close to vanilla as one gets outside of the Google Pixel-universe. This allows for a snappy and highly responsive operating system and a smooth experience with applications, with truly minimal bloat. That said, there is some adjustment in coming from Samsung devices: the use of virtual navigational toggles (home, back, and recent apps), and a rear home button / fingerprint sensor. You can customize the order and quantity of navigational toggles on your screen, but it will take some getting used to realizing that a portion of your 5.7" screen real estate is going to be taken up by the navigation itself. This is a minimal annoyance, and can actually produce lovely results that minimize clutter when not actively using navigation on full-screen applications (like movies). But all in all, a faster and more responsive operating system comes at the price of some physical creature comforts of the older devices.

My verdict is that the LG V20, obviously, represents a significant evolutionary step of at least two generations over the Samsung Note 4. While it has an inferior display, this won't be readily noticeable by all but the most hardcore nitpickers. Its innovations and improvements in battery life, performance, physical design, and software quality more than adequately produce a superior device and a worthy upgrade.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You guys are awesome, thank you so much!

I was set on the V20, but what I am put off by is the Battery Life, seems <5hours SOT is the standard.

I have elected to go with a S7 Edge instead. I am not a huge Audiophile and I think the 'Lucky' DAC in the S7E will be fine for me. :)

Thanks again!

The battery life is excellent, especially for a screen of this size. I get through a work day with plenty of battery to spare...and that's on LTE. It's even better on WiFi.

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Note 4 and I'm thinking about getting a V20. I really like the camera on my Note 4. Will I miss the camera on the Note 4? Or will I be happy with the camera on the V20?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Note 4 and I'm thinking about getting a V20. I really like the camera on my Note 4. Will I miss the camera on the Note 4? Or will I be happy with the camera on the V20?

You will be happy with the V20's camera. And many many more manual controls! :D Just remember that there's definitely a learning curve involved when switching from a Samsung to an LG, and even more when you add front facing, physical buttons VS on-screen/rear fingerprint reader to the mix. You won't be blown away by the V20's screen, either, but it's not terrible.

kraze4u

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
If you ever played with a G4 coming from a Note 4...that's how you'll feel with this (ish). Yeah, the V20 obviously has major improvements over the Note 4, but if you compare it to a Note 7 (or even 5), you'll feel like it's trying hard to mirror some features.

Oh, and prepare to be annoyed by the on-screen buttons and, especially, the power button/fingerprint reader placement. They're definitely a learning curve once you're used to the physical ones on the Note.

Double tap to wake/turn off, though, that's something that you'll quickly grow used to and soon you'll be tapping on every phone/screen you see thinking it'll work hehe.

Don't bother mentioning the Note 7 its been discontinued.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I went from a Note 4 to a V10, then back briefly to the Note 4 before ultimately settling on returning to the V10. The V10's extra internal storage, additional RAM, likelihood of Nougat, and improved signal strength were the deciding factors for me. Samsung's updates just made the Note 4 worse and worse, culminating in the terrible MM build for the Note 4. I'll be curious to see if the most recent security patch for the Note 4 that was released in Europe makes its way to domestic carrier variants and if they send the Note 4 out in style with any battery or performance tweaks.

I think the Note 4 had the superior camera for quick cell phone-type shots. I do NOT care bout manually manually tweaking or composing my smartphone image. I have 2 P&S cameras and a DSLR at home for that. In the usage cases for a smartphone, I need quick responsiveness and the best quality Auto mode image. So I think the Note 4 is superior in that regard as well as its screen vibrancy, much faster charging and better Qi support. I also prefer Samsung's front home button + capacitive to LG's onscreen buttons. 2nd Screen is essentially a gimmick in my book.

The V10 is a better "phone" but neither one is a world-beater when it comes to battery life. I'll probably stick with the V10 for another 6 months and pick up a gently used V20 next year unless there is a larger (5.7"+) Galaxy S8 variant in the spring.

JohnMcL7

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
This thread is a good read as my Note 4 has taken to suddenly dying with no warning (it's suddenly started doing it on both batteries) which is a real problem as I do a lot of cycling on my own and I'm on call, it's caught me out twice. I've had a look at the S7 Edge which has a great camera but the screen feels a lot smaller than the Note 4 and I don't see the curved edges as a benefit. I've also been looking at the V20 but it seems to get very mixed feedback and it's not available in my country, I'd be up for taking a gamble on the S7 Edge or V20 as a stopgap until there's something I really want but both are pricey to do that.

Is there anything else with a big screen, great camera and micro SD expansion worth considering? I'd also like a replaceable battery as I use it a lot on the Note 4 but it seems that's pretty much non-existent these days.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This thread is a good read as my Note 4 has taken to suddenly dying with no warning (it's suddenly started doing it on both batteries) which is a real problem as I do a lot of cycling on my own and I'm on call, it's caught me out twice. I've had a look at the S7 Edge which has a great camera but the screen feels a lot smaller than the Note 4 and I don't see the curved edges as a benefit. I've also been looking at the V20 but it seems to get very mixed feedback and it's not available in my country, I'd be up for taking a gamble on the S7 Edge or V20 as a stopgap until there's something I really want but both are pricey to do that.

Is there anything else with a big screen, great camera and micro SD expansion worth considering? I'd also like a replaceable battery as I use it a lot on the Note 4 but it seems that's pretty much non-existent these days.

Same thing happened to my boss, he switched to the V20 and loves it.. both of his batteries stopped working too.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Huawei Mate 9
http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_9-8073.php

If you are still looking at S7 Edge, I made the move as posted previously from the Note 4 to S7 Edge late last year and I am thoroughly enjoying my S7E, the Battery Life is ridiculously good, getting 6-8hours SOT depending on whether I am on 4G or WiFi.

I am also loving the IP68 Protection (Water and Dust Resistance), I often clean my S7E by just dipping it in warm water once a week and whipping it down.

The edge Display does take getting used to and is definitely not for everyone.

The Huawei Mate 9 seems like a nice all rounder of a phone, albeit no IP68 or Military grade protection.

Jeyd02

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
1. Coming from a Note 4 to 7 to V20 here. Display is not as great as the Note's, but still enjoyable
2. Battery life will get you to 4 hours of SoT if you're lucky.
3. It has barely heat up on me. It didn't even heat up during quick charge.
4. Signal strength is pretty good.

Edit: V20 is much more snappier than my note 7, which I like.
4 SOT? There is something wrong with your unit..

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a former loyal Samsung owner.

Speed:
In comparison, you'll notice immediately that the phone runs much faster; Samsung TouchWiz seems to always lag a bit. The LG OS is optimized and uses less RAM, whereas Samsung hogs a lot of RAM, probably due to the TouchWiz overlay and Samsung apps/services. Don't even think about updating the OS on the Note 4, it'll slow down your phone like crazy (maybe they do this on purpose to encourage new phone purchase?)

Display:
The AMOLED display is always beautiful but after using it for many years, I got bored looking at the oversaturated colors. Sure, blacks looks deep and true, though white colors always seem off, almost kinda beige like color. Grey colors also look ugly and there's a lot of flaws visible over a grey background. So the IPS display wins when it comes to white colors, you'll get used to it as well. During the day, the IPS looks perfectly fine, but at night, it doesn't look as nice as AMOLED. I'm actually used to it now and like it much more. Also, I'm not paranoid about screen burn in anymore, I could leave the display on for hours on end.

Battery life:
I don't know why everyone's ​complaining about battery life and screen on time. Coming from a Samsung Galaxy S6 and S7 active (3500 mAh and 4000 mAh battery), the V20 outperforms those two in any given day. It's much more reliable and also efficient. I get between 4-6.5 hours screen on time on my V20, and at least 14+ hours or more battery life (pretty much all day). And plus, it still has a removable battery and supports Quick Charge 3.0, much faster than 2.0. I've never had a phone battery that's reliable as this one. Maybe you might have to do some tweaking to get better results (disable useless apps and services). Also the phone runs much cooler, and stays cool when you charge it thanks to USB C and Quick Charge 3.0 technology. My S7 gets pretty darn hot when charging. (Pro tip if you own a Samsung: don't charge your phone wirelessly, it heats up your battery and your battery will get worn out faster. I think my S6 Active battery got damaged overtime, stopped holding a good charge like it used to).

Camera:
Obviously the camera is much better. Dual cameras on the front and rear, much better quality. I enjoy this camera over the S7 & S7 Edge. Much more details and options, though I love the simplicity of the Samsung camera app. For those complaining about color reproduction in the photos, just download a photo editing app and adjust it to your liking.

Size and design:
The V20 is much thinner and lighter than the Note 4 & 5. Bezels are slimmer and comfortable to hold (the Note 5 feels bulky). Also the V20 has a second screen with always on display, way better than LED notification. The all metal build feels premium and less fragile compared to the plastic backing of Note 4 and glass back of the Note 5. What turned me off from the Samsung series is the all glass build, why buy an expensive phone that's fragile? I used to have the Note 3 and I hated the size, it was too uncomfortable to use one handed so I switched back to a 5 inch screen. The V20 feels nice to use with one hand.

Honestly the Note 4 is a great phone but clearly it's aging. A lot of Note 4 owners don't want to give it up because of the removable battery and great screen size. The V20 is definitely next gen and you can be assured it'll meet your needs for a few years until you upgrade.