The lg v20 is a great alternative

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The lgv20 is a pretty slick phone.
I'm just not a fan of bare bones android like on the pixel.
The second screen is cool. You can draw on screen with finger. Camera is good.
The removeable battery is nice. While the note 7 had a sexy curved display, the lg flat screen is nice and i prefer it funcionality wise.
The rear fingerprint sensor works pretty good. Better than note 7 id say.

There's more I'm not mentioning but I'll tell you that i don't miss the note 7 with this lg.
Long term will tell how durable this phone will be.
The funny thing is the store reps all push pixel or moto....maybe due to past lg experiences....

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the opposite side of this hehe. I do like the phone, but I don't love it. For ME, the sensor in the back is not ideal. I need it on the front. Yes, I prefer the flat screen to the curved one in terms of usability, but man, do I miss the sexiness of the curved glass! The LG is not a looker. It's nicely made, but it won't turn heads the way the Note or S7 Edge did. Removable battery is meh for me...both phones got me through a day on a single charge and fast charging took care of those rare occasions when it didn't. And when you compare LG's functions with Samsung's, the phone just feels too simple. First world problems, huh? hehe. As for the second screen... really? You find that cool? I found it even more useless than the edge things. At least the edges I could disable...this? This is just always there to remind you of the CRAPPY AOD implementation that LG went for.

Also, things that keep me from loving this phone:
-Physical Buttons. Yes, I know, I'm probably in the minority on this now, but I lik'em there. I need an actual button that's not eating screen real estate or don't need me to swipe up to be shown.
-No waterproofing.
-No notification LED.
-Backplate button on the side. Too easy to pop it out by accident without a case.

Things I DO like:
-Double Tap to wake/sleep. Oh, gosh, I wish all phones had this! Too bad this goes away for the sleep function if you use a 3rd party launcher :( (unless you double tap on the notification bar).
-Camera options are WAY nice. Every manual control is there. This is awesome. Picture quality is great, although I still prefer the vivid pictures Samsung phones took, especially at low light.
-Zippy phone. F. A. S. T. Amazing. Samsung should learn a thing or two here.
-The phone is way easier to manage and use with one hand than the edge competitors, albeit way less sexy.
-Customizable button bar. If I must have those ugly on-screen buttons, at least I can arrange them in any way I want.
-One handed operation is better than the S7/Note7 (although it's what the Note 5 had before them, and that's why it's better). It's all about the buttons!
-DAC. Wow! Like, WOW! It really makes a difference.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I miss my Samsung Amoled screen and also TouchWiz and the Note 7's build, but the v20 will have to do til the note 8 drops

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I miss my Samsung Amoled screen and also TouchWiz and the Note 7's build, but the v20 will have to do til the note 8 drops

Yup, the screen on the V20 is nice. It holds up well. But it's not AMOLED. :( The battery life is already decent, can you imagine if this had AMOLED? Come on, LG!

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Yup, the screen on the V20 is nice. It holds up well. But it's not AMOLED. :( The battery life is already decent, can you imagine if this had AMOLED? Come on, LG!

Yeah, I even preferred the display on the moto x pure I returned it was just that the battery was horrible, the v20 is a good device but for me personally, I can't wait to own the next note phone.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the opposite side of this hehe. I do like the phone, but I don't love it. For ME, the sensor in the back is not ideal. I need it on the front. Yes, I prefer the flat screen to the curved one in terms of usability, but man, do I miss the sexiness of the curved glass! The LG is not a looker. It's nicely made, but it won't turn heads the way the Note or S7 Edge did. Removable battery is meh for me...both phones got me through a day on a single charge and fast charging took care of those rare occasions when it didn't. And when you compare LG's functions with Samsung's, the phone just feels too simple. First world problems, huh? hehe. As for the second screen... really? You find that cool? I found it even more useless than the edge things. At least the edges I could disable...this? This is just always there to remind you of the CRAPPY AOD implementation that LG went for.

-Physical Buttons. Yes, I know, I'm probably in the minority on this now, but I lik'em there. I need an actual button that's not eating screen real estate or don't need me to swipe up to be shown.
-No waterproofing.
-No notification LED.
-Backplate button on the side. Too easy to pop it out by accident without a case.

Things I DO like:
-Double Tap to wake/sleep. Oh, gosh, I wish all phones had this! Too bad this goes away for the sleep function if you use a 3rd party launcher :( (unless you double tap on the notification bar).
-Camera options are WAY nice. Every manual control is there. This is awesome. Picture quality is great, although I still prefer the vivid pictures Samsung phones took, especially at low light.
-The phone is way easier to manage and use with one hand than the edge competitors, albeit way less sexy.
-Customizable button bar. If I must have those ugly on-screen buttons, at least I can arrange them in any way I want.
-One handed operation is better than the S7/Note7 (although it's what the Note 5 had before them, and that's why it's better). It's all about the buttons!

You're not alone with liking physical buttons, I keep trying to hit a physical button on the v20 and to my disappointment it isn't there

AzSportsFan86

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I still have my n7 and the v20. Im ok with the v20 but n7 is to the phone world what MewTwo is to Pokemon lol. I miss the screen on n7 so bad. The v20 seems so boring and dull.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, what is it about the loss of screen real estate that I see a lot of people mention when they say they don't like on screen buttons? If they were on all the time, I could see the argument there, but you're losing very little with them there. About 2 lines of text worth, and they go away with full screen apps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious, what is it about the loss of screen real estate that I see a lot of people mention when they say they don't like on screen buttons? If they were on all the time, I could see the argument there, but you're losing very little with them there. About 2 lines of text worth, and they go away with full screen apps.

It's still part of the screen that you're losing! And if they hide, you still need to take an extra step (swipe up) to get them to show up and navigate away. Terrible? No. Nuisance when you're used to having dedicated buttons that are always there? Yup. And dedicated buttons aren't perfect, either! Just look at how many people back out of an app when handing the phone over to someone! But at least there's no 'extra step' or 'stolen real estate' to get to them.

Would you be mad at your neighbor for growing 2-feet-thick bushes around your side of the fence? Oh, but don't worry, it's only in spring as they don't bloom from fall to winter! I'd still be mad. :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had phones with physical buttons, so I get what you're saying about the extra step of swiping the buttons back onto the screen. In my case, I'm not losing any real estate compared to those I've used with physical buttons because they were in about the same spot anyway. I was slightly apprehensive about going to on screen buttons, but they never bothered me about the space issue. Then when I moved to LG with it's customization, I wouldn't have it any other way. To each their own, I just never saw it as losing real estate until I saw others mention it.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

-No waterproofing.
-No notification LED.

Things I DO like:

"turn heads" haha! The only people turning heads is phone nerds like us

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Nope, I had A TON of comments about how cool the phone looked when I had the S7 Edge, and even more with the blue Note 7. The V20? No one even noticed.

Don't get me wrong, it's not an ugly phone. It's just not a 'looker'.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I had a ton of folks approach me to chit chat when I had my Note 7 which was in Blue Coral so it was a beauty.

My V20 doesn't get anywhere near the same recognition as my Note though a few had commented about it.

I honestly have yet to see anyone else with one !?!?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a ton of folks approach me to chit chat when I had my Note 7 which was in Blue Coral so it was a beauty.

My V20 doesn't get anywhere near the same recognition as my Note though a few had commented about it.

I honestly have yet to see anyone else with one !?!?

That might be because unless you're looking for it, it's not really a phone you'll see :( Great performance, just doesn't have the 'sexy body' the latest Samsung phones have. It's just the truth.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Samsung put effort into making their phones handsome. LG seems to be focused on industrial design. They both win. Gonna give my S7e some love today.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
From what I've seen LG's IPS display is still super dull compared to Samsung's AMOLED. That's a no go for me. Looks like I'll be keeping my Note 7, since no one seems to be able to compete. I had hope for the V20, but it just doesn't stack up.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen LG's IPS display is still super dull compared to Samsung's AMOLED. That's a no go for me. Looks like I'll be keeping my Note 7, since no one seems to be able to compete. I had hope for the V20, but it just doesn't stack up.

Just remember all of the implications keeping the Note 7 conveys: full ban on public transportation (and actually a federal crime should you try it), insurance companies are voiding any home/renters insurance policies should you still have a Note 7 in your home, the phone is bound to get a mandatory, battery-limiting update pushed in, and there will be no software updates for it at all (other than homebrew). Plus, you know, the inherent risk of having a potentially ticking bomb with you.

I love the Note 7, too, but it's just not worth the risk. Move on and wait for the next best thing.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's funny. I know folks liked their Note 7s. I get that. However, I'm not sure I get the whole "I'm keeping it even though it's been recalled and is potentially more unsafe than other phones." bit. I know we like our tech, anyone that knows me knows I love my tech but there are limits. OEM and government recalls are past my limits.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad