does anyone have the V20 after coming from a Pixel XL or vice versa?

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I really like this Pixel XL I have, but I don't love it yet. I had my eye on the V20 and got the Pixel last minute when I switched to Verizon and now I am second guessing my decision. I'm going to put this in the Google forum too. Thanks.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I came from the XL, returned for the V20 last week. Battery is pretty comparable, slight edge to the XL. I still need the battery to settle in so it should improve. Despite what you may read, the V20 build quality is solid. In hand, it feels as premium as the XL. The camera in auto goes to the XL, video too. Performance has been good but I would give overall smoothness to the XL. I'm less than a week in so I'll give it through the weekend before deciding if it's a keeper.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
5.7 inches and ir blaster beat iPhone bezels. I'd go for v20 for features.. I'd go for XL if smoothness and speed were key.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I had both at the same time. Took the pixel back. I didn't plan on the v20 but got a great deal on Craigslist for $450 so I couldn't pass it up. I think the camera is slightly better on the pixel. I ultimately went with the v20 because of the build quality. The v20 feels solid in the hand and doesn't feel cheap. The pixel is well made but I just never had a great feeling about it. The v20 is just as fast also. If you have to have the fastest updates for whatever reason go pixel if that's not the main concern the v20 is a great device.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
the lg wont feel as boring as a pixel. they've done some nice interface changes sorta like samsung has done.
the wide angle camera is very nice for closeup and indoor shots.
i like how the whites look white on the screen.
the secondary screen is kinda cool.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Google Pixel:
- Pure Android experience
- Fast performance
- Clean unibody iPhone-like design
- AMOLED screen (deeper blacks, colors pop out)
- Fast OS updates
- Life expectancy: 2 years, after that no more updates plus loss in battery performance (see Google's End of life chart)

LG V20
- SD Card Slot, up to 256GB SD memory and 64GB onboard storage
- Dual camera set up (regular and wide angle) and dual front facing cameras
- IR blaster
- Removable and easy use replaceable battery
- Slim and solid construction, military grade tested
- Hi-fi audio DAC
- High quality audio and video recording
- Always on 2nd screen display
- No risk of screen burn-in (IPS display)
- better white colors, more natural tone colors (from IPS display)
- Life expectancy: 4+ years with the battery replacement

To those who are concerned about the V20's build quality, you'll have to see it to believe it. It's built rock solid. Despite the removable back, it still feels great in the hand. And honestly (after coming from a Galaxy S7), I feel that the camera is far superior than the S7/S7 Edge. There's much more detail. The difference in 12 MP and 16 MP is noticeable. The S7 has a very user friendly camera interface and takes photos very fast, but the 12 MP was a downgrade. The LG V20 is the last true Android flagship, keeping the good "old" features of Android. Taking away the SD card slot was a mistake, and also the battery. It's a cash grab market now (Samsung trying to beat Apple, Google trying to stand out, Apple always being trendy), they forgot about the end user experience.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Pixel XL, V20 and iPhone 7 Plus. I will be returning the Pixel as the V20 just has a lot more features that are more useful to me. The Pixel is definitely a smoother experience but not by a huge margin to the V20. I find myself gravitating more towards the V20 the more I use both. Maybe the next gen Pixel or future updates will change my mind and make the Pixel XL the one for me but then again next year I'll most likely be returning to whatever Samsung releases to replace the Note 7 which I do miss...we'll see.

Last edited:

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Google Pixel:
- Fast performance
- Fast OS updates
- Life expectancy: 2 years, after that no more updates plus loss in battery performance (see Google's End of life chart)

LG V20
- IR blaster
- Hi-fi audio DAC

To those who are concerned about the V20's build quality, you'll have to see it to believe it. It's built rock solid. Despite the removable back, it still feels great in the hand. And honestly (after coming from a Galaxy S7), I feel that the camera is far superior than the S7/S7 Edge. There's much more detail. The difference in 12 MP and 16 MP is noticeable. The S7 has a very user friendly camera interface and takes photos very fast, but the 12 MP was a downgrade. The LG V20 is the last true Android flagship, keeping the good "old" features of Android. Taking away the SD card slot was a mistake, and also the battery. It's a cash grab market now (Samsung trying to beat Apple, Google trying to stand out, Apple always being trendy), they forgot about the end user experience.
Well said

anon(10076979)

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Google Pixel:
- Fast performance
- Fast OS updates

LG V20
- IR blaster
- Hi-fi audio DAC

Very well said.
I just have a question though about life expectancy. I created a different thread for this but it seems like you really know something about phone, I'll appreciate your opinion. I preordered this v20 and it will be my first LG phone. Coming from an S5 btw.
About LG phones, I've watched a video in youtube and followed the comments there, people were saying that LG phones are prone to bootloops and it's a dead end. I'm worried because I'm not the type of guy that upgrades phones every year.. In your opinion and since you're a v20 user, what can you say about this? Is is your first LG phone as well? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463