Yesterday 02:28 PM
93 1234
tools
    V20:

06-14-2017 08:42 PM
    I looked at that app in the playstore, however comments say it's not working on Huawei phones, so I didn't get it.
    As I mentioned in my post there is a free version (SignalCheck Lite https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ignalchecklite) so it wouldn't cost anything to try out.

It works fine on my Huawei-made Nexus 6P but perhaps it has issues with the Kirin processor. Hard to say.

Anyway, the other app that I mentioned is GSam Battery Monitor Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...amlabs.bbm.pro (there's also a free version of that) which will allow you to get a feel for your signal strength over time. That might be more useful to see your overall signal quality as you go about your day.(Note that it requires you to use ADB to enable extended battery stats for this feature to work. It's pretty easy to do and is well documented in the app.)
    06-18-2017 12:57 PM
    V20:
    Unfortunately that data point is useless since you have absolutely no signal at all. If that's the norm at that particular location then it's time to get a different device or to get your carrier to fix something at their end. If it happens to be at your house you could ask about a network extender.
    06-18-2017 01:04 PM
    Unfortunately that data point is useless since you have absolutely no signal at all. If that's the norm at that particular location then it's time to get a different device or to get your carrier to fix something at their end. If it happens to be at your house you could ask about a network extender.
    That's exactly my point, no signal on the V20 and have signal on the Mate 9. Same carrier sim in both and side by side on the sofa table.
    My original post was simply to add to the"weak V20 signal" thread.
    I also have a Xperia XZ and it gets some signal about the same as the Mate 9.
    06-18-2017 08:06 PM
    That's exactly my point, no signal on the V20 and have signal on the Mate 9. Same carrier sim in both and side by side on the sofa table.
    I retired and moved to the Philippines in 2015 so signal strength and quality, especially out in the provinces is not great. I have wifi in the house so it's only a little bit of a pain inside. SMS is still very popular here because data is relatively expensive.
    Outside it's not really a problem, usually. My house sits about 1/3 the way down a hill so that certainly is the main reason for the lack of signal strength here.
    Anyway out of the 3 phones that I currently have and the various phones of friends here, the V20 has the worst reception.
    06-18-2017 08:11 PM
    My VZW V20 gets the best reception of any phone I've ever owned. I can use internet in big box stores where my Note 3 was useless. I was in a restaurant using twitter where my friend's iPhone 6 had no reception. Never dropped a call anywhere. Unless you live an a terrible cell area you have a bad phone or bad sim card.
    06-19-2017 01:07 PM
    The V20 has the worse signal reception of any phone that I've owned.
    Which model of the V20 do you have?
    You can use something like DevCheck https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...flar2.devcheck to get the specifics (look on the System tab).
    06-19-2017 02:01 PM
    So, after suffering through months of call quality issues, bluetooth connectivity issues and poor wifi issues, I decided to do a FDR and reinstall everything from scratch. While it did improve the overall feel of the phone, it still suffered from poor call quality and wifi issues. My wife's V10 works perfect in all the places mine does not.

I called Verizon again and really pressed the issue that turning off features in a premium flagship phone is not the right solution and after explaining all that I had been through with network resets, FDR's and sim card swaps, they finally determined that I probably have a defective phone and sent me a new one. After reinstalling everything from scratch on the new phone, call quality and wifi have improved tremendously. I can now make a call without having to ask the caller to repeat themselves or me having to constantly repeat things. HD Voice works and sounds great too and my network signal strength in my home is now down from -114 dbm to the -90's..much better! I've even seen a much better improvement in signal strength at work as well.

However, I am still having bluetooth issues in my car, a 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe with the Bose sound system. Call quality is crap. Calls are disconnected and mostly garbled, yet if I turn off BT and switch to speakerphone, everything is fine. I'd blame it on the car but connecting my older LG G2 as a backup phone works fine and sounds great. It may just be an incompatibility between the older BT radio in my car and the newer BT radio in the phone. I'll read more about it on the infiniti forums to see if there is a solution.

So new (refurb) V20 seems to be working better than my original.

David
    06-22-2017 04:44 PM
    I retired and moved to the Philippines in 2015 so signal strength and quality, especially out in the provinces is not great. I have wifi in the house so it's only a little bit of a pain inside. SMS is still very popular here because data is relatively expensive.
    Outside it's not really a problem, usually. My house sits about 1/3 the way down a hill so that certainly is the main reason for the lack of signal strength here.
    Anyway out of the 3 phones that I currently have and the various phones of friends here, the V20 has the worst reception.
    Is it possible you have a bad one.... My phone is no worse or better than any other phone I have compared it too be it Motorola or IPhone. When I'm in a dead zone the LG is spotty like the iphone or Moto.
    06-22-2017 06:46 PM
    Which model of the V20 do you have?
    You can use something like DevCheck https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...flar2.devcheck to get the specifics (look on the System tab).
    LG-H990, dual sim
    06-22-2017 08:54 PM
    Is it possible you have a bad one.... My phone is no worse or better than any other phone I have compared it too be it Motorola or IPhone. When I'm in a dead zone the LG is spotty like the iphone or Moto.
    It's certainly possible, however I'm seeing others having various signal strength related problems also.
    As I mentioned, my house is in a area with very poor reception to begin with, however compared to the other phones that i have and other phones of friends when they come over, this V20 gets the worst reception.
    06-22-2017 08:57 PM
    I have the same thing happen to me.

I have an unlocked AT&T V20, and my wife's Mate 9 will have signal and mines won't.

My V20 will also randomly disconnect from the network and will be searching for 30 seconds or so until it comes back

Are you using an AT&T V20 as well?
    recDNA likes this.
    06-26-2017 01:24 AM
    AT&T V20 user here. I have reception issues with my phone too. At home, it is constantly switching between 4G and LTE. So much that it was absolutely destroying my battery life. I was able to turn off LTE via a V10 app and now I'm getting great battery life again.

My wife and daughters have iphones and theirs will hold an LTE signal just fine. My phone got great LTE service when I first got it, but now it is spotty at best.
    06-26-2017 11:45 AM
    I have the same thing happen to me.

I have an unlocked AT&T V20, and my wife's Mate 9 will have signal and mines won't.

My V20 will also randomly disconnect from the network and will be searching for 30 seconds or so until it comes back

Are you using an AT&T V20 as well?
    Oh no. I retired in 2015 (lived in Tucson, Arizona) and moved to the Philippines. :-p. I'm on Globe (one of the Philippines network providers) here. Seems the "weak reception" problem is world wide.
    I've been using my Mate 9 exclusively now.
    06-27-2017 03:07 AM
    Try this:

Turn WiFi OFF and make a call. Is it better? Call quality is MUCH better for me with WiFi turned OFF... not just disconnected from the network.

David
    06-27-2017 06:44 AM
    I live in Santa Clarita and I got my V20 at ATT last Nov 2016 and I have been having problems with Cell signal and LTE and bluetooth eversince, there will be times that I wanted to throw my phone because of frustration connecting or calling. I went to ATT and changed my SIM and still the same. ATT suggested me to go to ATT service center to be checked. Anyway, do you guys have any updates on this? Also I added a memory card in it and it kept on saying that it is not connected.
    08-03-2017 12:44 PM
    I wish AT&T would explain why their own phones utilizing band 30 have such horrible signal strength. I've been being annoyed by this since AT&T started pushing band 30, and I don't understand why band 30 seems to be given priority over the other bands that have a much better signal.
    LTE Band 30 is 2.3GHz (also known as WCS), and is relatively new. AT&T owns 5 blocks there, and three of them are at the very high end of the 2.3GHz spectrum, darned near 2.4GHz.

My guess (and this is just a guess, mind you)...

They probably don't have an antenna properly tuned to that frequency on board. Which is also probably why turning off WiFi seems to help some folks - regular WiFi is 2.4GHz, which is probably close enough that the WiFi signal is causing crosstalk on a badly tuned WCS/2.3GHz antenna. They might even be using the WiFi antenna for Band 30, since it's pretty close to what they need for WCS.

On some phones, there is a service menu that actually allows you to turn individual bands on and off (I had to noodle around in this menu to turn on band 4 on my AT&T Note 4 to have one band compatible with T-Mobile for a while, for example). I don't know how to access this menu on a V20, but if you can figure out how to turn off Band 30 you might find things work much better.

Again, just a guess, but WCS is a relatively new bit of spectrum and I bet there are some kinks that still need to be worked out.
    PAC757 likes this.
    08-04-2017 05:09 PM
    Ive had the Lg V20 since March and already has had 3 replacements it rediculus. My problems is screen freezing up and cant even swipe to get into my phone without the camera popping up. Every time i trys to use my phone there goes the camera and i cant either sit it down or pick it up and there is the camera on. Ive taken pictures i didnt even know i was taken. And it runs extremly slow. I love At&t but this phone gotta go.!!!!!!
    08-23-2017 01:20 PM
    Hi all. I've been following this closely as I bought an unlocked Verizon phone and I'm using it in Canada. I love this phone, but I don't want to deal with the poor signal issue that everyone else is having.

On my verizon phone, since they locked it down so much, I have no way to change the band. If anyone know how, it would be much appreciated.

But I decided to tear apart my phone, just to look around. I played around with the tin foil trick. (Using foil to boost the signal) Yesterday, I had a call come in and I had to go outside to finish the conversation. Today, I took the top "cap" off of my V20 and took a thick piece of tin foil and put it on some of the connectors and waited. Surprisingly, on one set of them, I was able to get an extra bar (2 bars) and was able to make a phone call with no issues. I looked inside the cap and noticed something interesting: where all the other contacts on the mainboard of the phone make contact with the cap, there is a metal contact in the cap. The contact where I put the tin foil, it's just plastic in the cap with no metal contact.

Being in a basement apartment, I don't expect 5 bars, but the fact I could get an extra bar with a piece of tin foil was very interesting. Would anyone have any insight as to the physical components of the phone?

Edit: I should also mention, when playing around with the tin foil, sometimes it would shoot up to full bars, then go back down to one.
    09-01-2017 09:31 PM
    Anyone ever find a fix for this?

Is LG aware of the problem?
    09-04-2017 06:47 PM
    So, I've seen a video of a Samsung phone that had some connectors for an antenna. Sure enough, so does the V20. It has 4 of them and I'm not sure which onces are for which. The pictures are of the 955 model. Does anyone have any thoughts on what each of them are for before I begin sticking wires in things?

LG V20 Signal and connection issues-img_7259.jpg
    09-11-2017 12:28 PM
    Here is the other picture. I wasn't able to upload it for some reason.

https://qvvy0g-bn1305.files.1drv.com...&cropmode=none
    09-11-2017 12:32 PM
    I drive for Uber and I just started using this phone because I switched back to it. I am not sure if it's phone related yet, or just Google Maps. However, just about every pickup last night was way off. I did a network reset and we will see today how it goes. Does anything think those magnetic dash mounts would mess with it? I had no issues with Samsung or Apple phones.

It almost seems like LG botched the antennas in this phone.
    09-12-2017 09:24 AM
    I was just on vacation a month ago and used my V20 with Google maps and didn't have any issues.

I wish the antenna was a replaceable part. It looks like it's built into the mainboard.
    09-12-2017 02:52 PM
    Does anything think those magnetic dash mounts would mess with it?
    It's quite possible that the magnets are causing some kind of interference. Simple enough to find out - just set the phone on your seat on your next run and see what happens.
    09-12-2017 04:07 PM
93 1234