Anyone hear any word if Google assist is coming to the V20 soon considering the fact we have Nougat like the pixel has, which does have google assist?

And no I am not talking the Google assist half baked into the Allo app. Allo is not really a true assist like the pixel has nor does it work with Google home.
    11-10-2016 05:14 PM
    At the moment it's touted as a Pixel only thing. In the future... Who knows? I could see them expanding it out to others.
    naturecannon likes this.
    11-10-2016 05:16 PM
    Only option for the foreseeable future is to unlock bootloader and root (currently limited to T-Mobile version) and then Google assistant can be installed.

Most people don't want to mess with that but I can say it works perfectly.
    naturecannon and athenatp like this.
    11-10-2016 05:27 PM
    Only option for the foreseeable future is to unlock bootloader and root (currently limited to T-Mobile version) and then Google assistant can be installed.

Thanks, I have AT&T.

I heard assist was avail for the 6p and other nexus phones so I figured someone might have heard word on the V20. Odd its not since we have Nougat, but I guess Google is trying to strong arm folks into buying the pixel if they want the full Google home. Experience . The entire Google Home release has been a bit weird in my opinion. I would go into it more but I'll keep it short and those that have it will probably agree with its early limitations.
    11-10-2016 06:00 PM
    Thanks, I have AT&T.

I heard assist was avail for the 6p and other nexus phones so I figured someone might have heard word on the V20. Odd its not since we have Nougat, but I guess Google is trying to strong arm folks into buying the pixel if they want the full Google home. Experience . The entire Google Home release has been a bit weird in my opinion. I would go into it more but I'll keep it short and those that have it will probably agree with its early limitations.
    Maybe with the bump to 7.1 but who knows when that might be.

The funny thing is that once you have unlock/root the only thing you have to really have to do is a couple build.prop edits to make the phone read as a Pixel XL.
    naturecannon and athenatp like this.
    11-10-2016 06:15 PM
    What is google assist?

I use the "ok Google" now on the v20 with mixed results. Is it different? Thanks
    11-11-2016 08:20 AM
    What is google assist?

I use the "ok Google" now on the v20 with mixed results. Is it different? Thanks
    https://assistant.google.com/

Pixel only currently unless you can root and run a Nougat based ROM.
    11-11-2016 08:31 AM
    https://assistant.google.com/

Pixel only currently unless you can root and run a Nougat based ROM.
    So it's basically ok google on steroids?
    11-11-2016 08:38 AM
    But with none of the possible side effects.

I never really got into using Google Now but have been using Google assistant almost daily since I installed it.
    Joeykool likes this.
    11-11-2016 08:52 AM
    I read that it makes the phone act like Pixel and that you even have the google Pixel UI...true? I am afraid to take the jump because of that. Do you loose anything in the process? And last are you able to revert rooting if need be? Thanks
    11-11-2016 04:00 PM
    Sort of. It works pretty well but still needs some Polish. That said I still use it a lot on my Pixel XL.
    Joeykool likes this.
    11-11-2016 04:09 PM
    I read that it makes the phone act like Pixel and that you even have the google Pixel UI...true? I am afraid to take the jump because of that. Do you loose anything in the process? And last are you able to revert rooting if need be? Thanks
    No, you don't have the Pixel launcher unless you choose to install it. It's still the LG UI.

Lose some LG apps and widgets...stock weather widget, capture+, Smartworld, etc.

After you root it's just a couple Build.prop edits for Google assistant. Those can be edited back to get back to stock LG UI. Yes you can unroot.

If you aren't comfortable with the unlock and root process, I wouldn't advise jumping in head first. Do lots of reading on XDA.

Also, unlocking the bootloader wipes data so be prepared to start from scratch and make sure all of your data is backed up first.

Read read read. Then read some more.
    athenatp likes this.
    11-11-2016 04:15 PM

Can you link to how to do this
    11-11-2016 04:19 PM
    Can you link to how to do this
    Sure...

Bootloader unlock, TWRP, Root
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/...3490594/page90

Auto-twrp if interested
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/...3491969/page22

I followed this to install Google assistant
    howto.highonandroid.com/android-how-to-tutorials/how-to-install-google-assistant-on-any-android-running-nougat-root-required

There's tons of info in those threads, lots of questions answered, etc.
    TNCattleDog likes this.
    11-11-2016 04:24 PM