LG v20 Resale Value - Verizon model vs Unlocked model? What do you think?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Wondering what you all think about the potential resale value of the v20, in terms of 1.) timing and 2.) unlocked vs the Verizon models.

As a (can't leave even though I want to) Verizon customer, the reality for me is threefold.

1.) There is no Edge up/ Trade-in on Verizon anymore. All devices must be paid off 100% before you can upgrade.
2.) I will probably be selling my v20 when the note 8 comes out.
3.) I did not have a trade-in, so I paid full retail. The difference was minimal in my case. 672+57.79 tax=729.79 for the Verizon version, out the door. 799.99, no tax, free shipping on the B&H Unlocked model. 70.20 cheaper on the Verizon model, but B&H also sent a 7" tablet that I should be able to get at least 50 for on eBay. So for me, the difference was only about $20.

There will probably be quite a few leaving their v20's when the S8 comes out (who knows when for sure?) and after that when the Note 8 comes out. That might mean the market could be flooded with these at those times. And since so many people got great deals (some got a BB coupon for 200, or carrier trade-ins 200-300 off), I don't know much people are going to be willing to pay for them. My gut is telling me the unlocked model might still bring $350 and the Verizon version somewhat less, but I really don't know..

What do you all think?

Thank you for your time!

scottbeamer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Wondering what you all think about the potential resale value of the v20, in terms of 1.) timing and 2.) unlocked vs the Verizon models.

As a (can't leave even though I want to) Verizon customer, the reality for me is threefold.

1.) There is no Edge up/ Trade-in on Verizon anymore. All devices must be paid off 100% before you can upgrade.
!

Why anyone would stay with Verizon is beyond me. That's bull****.

AT&T Next, FTW.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Why anyone would stay with Verizon is beyond me. That's bull****.

AT&T Next, FTW.

#1 is the reason that I just refuse to get the S7 Edge to replace my Note 7. It's still at 792 and it's a 7 month old phone. I'll get a 100 loyalty credit from Samsung, and another 25 for returning the Note 7, but 125 off for a 7 month old phone is ridiculous. And Verizon didn't tell their customers they were doing away with the Edge up program... As a matter of fact, they didn't tell most of their employees or 3rd party resellers, either... <sigh> But they're the only ones that have a signal here. I'm in a somewhat remote area.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not paying $830.

Yes you are right there, but that can all be enabled with root anyways. I would rather pay $672 for a phone that doesn't have those 2 things than pay $830 for a phone that does.

and this...^^^ is good discussion about what the value of this phone might be in 8-9 months... because some people don't think the phone is "worth it" somehow. (btw, rooting the phone won't magically put the necessary software library in the OS to make FM radio work, if I understood NextRadio correctly...)

So guys... what would you pay in say, 8 or 9 months for this phone; either the Verizon version or the unlocked version?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow... Not a single person is willing to say how much they would pay for this phone in 8 months to a year???

Or even Hazard a guess as to how much someone else might pay in 8 months to a year?

That does not bode well for the resale value of this phone if you ask me...

And that's what happens when you bring out a new product at a premium price, and discount it too much... The perceived value goes down, even if it's a good product.

And it's the perceived value that drives resale value.

Interesting that with all the people who love this phone, not one person wants to touch on this question...?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Simply look at Swappa and see the price history for the the V10 and that will give you some idea. Maybe it will be a little better than that since the V20 seems to have better reviews than the 10 when it came out. Unless it's an iPhone cell phones don't hold much value over time.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
You will be looking at $250 to $300 at best. Used smart phones just dont carry value that well. Occasionally Iphones do, but they dont have any competition in the apple family.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You will be looking at $250 to $300 at best. Used smart phones just dont carry value that well. Occasionally Iphones do, but they dont have any competition in the apple family.

I was thinking around that, too... maybe a little more, but yeah... kind of what I thought. Most do not hold value, like you said...

But then again, there is Samsung... talk about holding value! LOL

The S7 Edge, a 7 month old phone, is still 792 @ Verizon, and New Other & Used in Very Good Condition are still going for around $600 on eBay. New are still going around 650 or better w/ no incentives, deals on eBay, too... weird...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow... Not a single person is willing to say how much they would pay for this phone in 8 months to a year???

Or even Hazard a guess as to how much someone else might pay in 8 months to a year?

That does not bode well for the resale value of this phone if you ask me...

And that's what happens when you bring out a new product at a premium price, and discount it too much... The perceived value goes down, even if it's a good product.

And it's the perceived value that drives resale value.

Interesting that with all the people who love this phone, not one person wants to touch on this question...?

I don't buy my phones based on reselling them so I don't care that much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463