Google bar constantly disappears while typing

traceyc44

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
You know how the center button will bring up the Google search bar by holding it down for a few seconds? Now when i use it and I start typing into the search bar it just deletes whatever I'm typing and I have to start over. Like the search bar will stay on the screen but my text will disappear and the keyboard will close. This happened very sporadically at first but now is happening at least 50% of the time. It's extremely frustrating as I use this quick search feature constantly. Is happening to anyone else? Is there a fix?

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I've not had that issue, but I don't use Google Now all that often. Do you have a screen protector on? It could be sensing a false touch because of a screen protector peeling up, or a dirty screen. If that's not it I would consider contacting the carrier or LG. If it's the digitizer, it's not going to get better, only worse.

One thing you could do to test this would be to re-arrange your home screen button to put the 'home' button in a different location to see if the problem continues.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me. Started off sporadically, now it's happening at a 50/50 rate. I'm using the original LG Launcher, but maybe I should try Google Now Launcher.

traceyc44

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the original screen protector on the phone still, but it's only the Google bar that i have this issue with so i don't think that could be it. Is this a software bug? I really hope there is a fix. I probably use this one stupid feature on my phone more than anything.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that this happens with Nova launcher as well. But only with the built-in home button launch... If I use the Nova persistent search bar it does not happen. I believe this is a bug with Google Now (an incompatibility with LG UI) and will likely be fixed by Google.

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it is not an issue with the phone but the last update of the google app. I have a V10 and it is doing the same thing.

CTIGUK

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Exact same issue, but I have a Galaxy S7. So frustrating. It happens for me every time sometimes after a second, sometimes after 3 or 4. Barely anything about it when I search. No one found anything about what causes it?

All apps updated. No screen cover.

John Paul Camilleri

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy s7 Edge and too have had the same problem for MONTHS. I have found very little to no information anywhere! This is the first thread that seems to be exactly what I was looking for. It happens 100% of the time. Only on Google search, only when I press the home key. For me though, it only seems to happen on the initial search. When I tap the searchbar the keyboard reappears and remains. Any one else?

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy s7 Edge and too have had the same problem for MONTHS. I have found very little to no information anywhere! This is the first thread that seems to be exactly what I was looking for. It happens 100% of the time. Only on Google search, only when I press the home key. For me though, it only seems to happen on the initial search. When I tap the searchbar the keyboard reappears and remains. Any one else?
Exact same for me.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
LG G4 happening on stock launcher, I no longer use the home button to search, I only use the search bar widget.

NathanSylvan

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi people,

I finally came up with a workaround for this problem as it's been causing me to rock back and forth in corner of the room and get very angry with my S7 Edge. Still despite the work around Google still need to get their **** together, but hey it's a start.

It seems to be a problem with the "what's on screen info" feature that you accepted when you first ran the app. To disable this...

Either go to:

settings -> Google -> search -> screen search: then remove the tick for "ask Google to show you info related to what's on your screen"

Or

Settings -> applications -> Google app -> storage -> manage storage -> clear all data. Then when you hold the button to bring up the search bar click NO when asked if you want Google to show you info related to what's on screen.

I hope this eases the frustration a little.

Let me know if this works for you ladies & gents.

PIRATAS

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It happens only with the Screen Search activated.
In other words, if your Google search app comes up with a transparent background so to be able to search for things underneath and give you answers about what you have there, well...what is typed in the first immediate 3/5 sec from Google app coming up it's all then deleted due a refresh of the screen when the Google app gives responso about what it's looking and seeing.
To avoid it there are 2 solutions:
1) disable the Google Screen Search function (but I really like it)
2) use a miraculous update from Google for its main search app that still has to come!!!

:)

...or someone has found a solution??

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You know how the center button will bring up the Google search bar by holding it down for a few seconds? Now when i use it and I start typing into the search bar it just deletes whatever I'm typing and I have to start over. Like the search bar will stay on the screen but my text will disappear and the keyboard will close. This happened very sporadically at first but now is happening at least 50% of the time. It's extremely frustrating as I use this quick search feature constantly. Is happening to anyone else? Is there a fix?

I'm confused as to what the problem you guys are experiencing.
Maybe a screenshot would help

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that this happens with Nova launcher as well. But only with the built-in home button launch... If I use the Nova persistent search bar it does not happen. I believe this is a bug with Google Now (an incompatibility with LG UI) and will likely be fixed by Google.

The attached screenshot is what I get with home button. If I long press it no longer gives me screen related info but allow me to press "what's on my screen"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-06-10-48-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-06-10-48-40.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 15