Insanely great battery life on the V20?

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why half of us get great battery life, and the other doesn't? We're smart people right? We should be able to figure this out!

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Somone should check their battery statue before they recharge. I've see android OS will keep the device awake for hours.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Guys....turn that battery hogging GPS off! It makes the biggest difference. Turn it on Battery saving mode (networks only). Its all you need, until you need the navigation while driving. You can download a shortcut to go directly to toggle it on/off.

All those apps like Facebook, Uber, Tinder, Google Play Services? ? are all running juice on that high accuracy GPS, which is constantly trying to locate you through walls, elevators, and buildings. The battery saving mode is all you need, and it still knows which stores i'm in (had to turn those coupon and alerts from Google off!).

I also recommend never using more than 60% screen brightness unless you really need it (like in sunlight). This phone is super bright, especially with high contrast mode turned on. At night in a dark room, I use only 25% brightness.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't turn on GPS until I'm using maps and my Bluetooth is never on until I'm playing music in my car. I have my screen set to auto-brightness, being at 50% or less most of the time.

I don't have tinder or uber, just disabled Facebook and messenger and am using Folio instead.

Switched from Nova Prime to the stock OS, and switched my second screen to off when the main screen is in use.

I did all that and still only got about 12 hours of battery life and couldn't even get 2.5 hours screen on time going from 98% to 20% battery. I give up.
d27247a026fbc635c81b9195d185c6b8.jpg
31ba5d4ad500037478dea945b055e077.jpg
bbc42dc75828a6d13873008b57ecf006.jpg

natehartey12

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't turn on GPS until I'm using maps and my Bluetooth is never on until I'm playing music in my car. I have my screen set to auto-brightness, being at 50% or less most of the time.

I don't have tinder or uber, just disabled Facebook and messenger and am using Folio instead.

Switched from Nova Prime to the stock OS, and switched my second screen to off when the main screen is in use.

I did all that and still only got about 12 hours of battery life and couldn't even get 2.5 hours screen on time going from 98% to 20% battery. I give up.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161208/d27247a026fbc635c81b9195d185c6b8.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161208/31ba5d4ad500037478dea945b055e077.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161208/bbc42dc75828a6d13873008b57ecf006.jpg

These are about my exact results

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You're a normal user like me. I'm convinced people who crow about a week of battery life without recharging are taking extreme measures to get their exceptional battery life. Every phone has threads claiming incredible battery life with a dozen folks trying to match it. Don't sweat it. Get a spare battery.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
You're a normal user like me. I'm convinced people who crow about a week of battery life without recharging are taking extreme measures to get their exceptional battery life. Every phone has threads claiming incredible battery life with a dozen folks trying to match it. Don't sweat it. Get a spare battery.

I agree, but 2.5hrs SOT is not normal unless there is really bad signal, or a rogue app or something.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
He reflects my sentiments exactly. One of the great weaknesses of Android is the analysis of battery use our phone shows us. So many things are listed under Kernel or Android system that it isn't possible to figure out exactly what is using our batteries. Like everyone says to go from gps to network location but I wonder how much screen on time that saves? 10 minutes? Not worth bothering. 30 minutes I would do it. My hunch is it is more like 3 minutes saved.

Ed_Grohl

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Guys....turn that battery hogging GPS off! It makes the biggest difference. Turn it on Battery saving mode (networks only). Its all you need, until you need the navigation while driving. You can download a shortcut to go directly to toggle it on/off.

All those apps like Facebook, Uber, Tinder, Google Play Services? ? are all running juice on that high accuracy GPS, which is constantly trying to locate you through walls, elevators, and buildings. The battery saving mode is all you need, and it still knows which stores i'm in (had to turn those coupon and alerts from Google off!).

I also recommend never using more than 60% screen brightness unless you really need it (like in sunlight). This phone is super bright, especially with high contrast mode turned on. At night in a dark room, I use only 25% brightness.

I keep my screen brightness at about 30-35% when I am in the office all day. There's no need for it to be brighter unless I head outside, and then I just adjust it accordingly. I've always done this with the bigger smartphones. Just seems like common sense to get some battery relief.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

No issue with battery life on Pixel XL w/ all syncs and High Accuracy GPS on. To be honest I didn't have the issue on my other phones either (S7 Edge, Note 7, 6P ,etc.).

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I use Folio instead of Facebook and FB messenger. Better on battery life and RAM.
Dumb question, but I can't figure out how to get notifications from Folio? All my other apps show notifications on the top of the screen and with red number badges, do you know how to activate this in Folio?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Again my day starts at just before 3AM so I am loving the battery life on my device. Standby time is excellent.
54cbd233bb56f9162fda38355de102e3.jpg

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Again my day starts at just before 3AM so I am loving the battery life on my device. Standby time is excellent.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/54cbd233bb56f9162fda38355de102e3.jpg

that's great.. I would love to see how it would react with instagram and facebook and such on there.

I get about 4:45 of SOT with my instagram, 4 twitter accounts (a lot of notifications a day) and constant use of voxer and such. so I'm happy.. WAY better than the v10 which I would have to charge while I;m at work.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
that's great.. I would love to see how it would react with instagram and facebook and such on there.

I get about 4:45 of SOT with my instagram, 4 twitter accounts (a lot of notifications a day) and constant use of voxer and such. so I'm happy.. WAY better than the v10 which I would have to charge while I;m at work.
Yes I'm curious as well as I still do have those accounts for Facebook and Instagram. I'm just not using those services at the time so I didnt feel the need to have them yet. I do have Twitter though but 4 accounts eh? Rock star status.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes I'm curious as well as I still do have those accounts for Facebook and Instagram. I'm just not using those services at the time so I didnt feel the need to have them yet. I do have Twitter though but 4 accounts eh? Rock star status.
Hahaha. Naw, just different types of accounts I manage.. :)