any luck with the "steady video" feature?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't really record video too much so this isn't the end of the world for me but when I first got the phone I played around with the feature a little bit and it made my videos absolutely look like they were taken in an earthquake. I know my phone has had minor updates a few times so I figured I would try it again today just for the hell of it and it is still just as awful as it was the first time I tried it and I know it's not an error with my phone as I've already had it replaced once due to the screen shattering. Had I been a person who has taken a lot of video I probably would be really disappointed but for the amount I take I just simply have the Steadicam feature turned off

sixbears

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
I have been playing around with steady record and have found the following. Cannot be enable except in FHD or HD mode. The button action is backward. When button is to the right and lit, no steady shot. When it is to the left and unlit it is working. Anyone else confirm?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Do not use this feature. It has gotten worse from the V10 to the V20 actually and I am disappointed at the movie like stabilization LG advertised. However this can all be fixed with a software update to which I will be badgering LG about. They have to use the phone and realize how terrible the feature is. I hope they dont just ignore it. But with the feature turned off, the stabilization is very admirable albeit behind Apple, Samsung and the Pixel phones even though the Pixel phones are the only ones without OIS. I really hope LG improves on this feature with time.

sixbears

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
Wow makes sense now that you mention it. So there is some stabilization with steady record off? Then Steady Record is really in bad shape considering I thought the button operation was backwards! It is not too bad when it is off for someone taking a video that has had 4 cups of coffee. I would love to see Steady Record as good as they advertise it. Running while recording and the video looks like you floating on air! LG is not there and should not convey that they are. They need to fix this now.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
ok, im not alone then. I tried it first at a hockey game and rationalized that all the moving players threw off the sensors. But even now, holding the camera still, moving with the camera, it doesn't matter. its awful.

and as said above, if they didn't hype this as a signature feature id prob not care but who the hell quality tested this function and better yet... approved it?

sixbears

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
ok, im not alone then. I tried it first at a hockey game and rationalized that all the moving players threw off the sensors. But even now, holding the camera still, moving with the camera, it doesn't matter. its awful.

and as said above, if they didn't hype this as a signature feature id prob not care but who the hell quality tested this function and better yet... approved it?

Here is a review that also highlights the issues with Steady Record 2.0.

LG V20 review: Battery life and camera | TechRadar

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So there is some stabilization with steady record off?

Yes. There is OIS by default. Steady Record is a hybrid of that plus digital stabilization (which is evidenced by the reduced image area when activated). It's odd that it's such a problem on the retail units this far into the game. I read one or two reviews that mentioned having this issue, but that their demo units received an update that pretty much fixed it as advertised.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
the videos in the review above.... that's exactly what i get. no matter how still or moving I am, or my objects, its just always that same earthquake look

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
However for stationary panning movements up, down, left and right the motion is very smooth. Its the walking that throws off the Steady Record.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski