How many v20 users are former Note 7 users?

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I came from the N7 fiasco as well. Briefly tried the S7E but didn't like it. Hard to really qualify the cost. On paper it's using the same hardware as other flagship devices. So calling it a throwaway doesn't make sense.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Cost is pretty subjective. I remember spending like $800 on a Nokia n95 and thought it was the greatest phone ever invented. All phones cost a lot, and always have. People are just recently realizing it because of the carriers changing their plans and subsidies. I think the phone is well worth it compared to what else is available.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I came from the N7 fiasco as well. Briefly tried the S7E but didn't like it. Hard to really qualify the cost. On paper it's using the same hardware as other flagship devices. So calling it a throwaway doesn't make sense.

I love the Edge overall but the screen is too narrow for me. Remember you're losing real estate to the curves. The V20 reminds me of my Note 5 bigger screen and easier to use.

On the Note 7 forum people are trashing the V20 calling it trash and such and say how the pixel is far better than v20.

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I had two Note 7s, loved them , best phones ever built PERIOD. Neither of mine got hot or had issues, but the recall forced me to another phone. The V20 was the only one that made sense since I dont use the S PEN and I loved my S6 Edge PLUS but traded that in for the NOTE 7. The V20 is solid, no issues except some bad feedback noise from the AUX. The forum bashing the V20 is just lies. I had the Pixel as well after the note 7 recall. Returned it and got the V20. The audio, the camera, the function and speed, the screen, fingerprint response, button layout, almost everything honestly is better than the Pixel. They are close across the board but the larger screen, the second screen, the 24bit DAC audio, the camera and expandable storage make it a no brainer for me vs the PIXEL XL. Im sure alot of people love the PIXEL but to bash the V20 is just nonsense. It is a hell of a phone and ALMOST perfect.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
This phone is definitely a great substitute coming from the Note. Had it not had any issues, I probably wouldn't have gotten the V20 or even looked into it really. But not that I've had it for the better part of 6-8 weeks (whenever the US release was) I love it.

I can sort of see how some don't justify the cost considering the build quality versus the Note. But it'd still a great looking, well built phone. Look at it this way- We paid $850 for a device that it something happened to it, you're stuck forfeiting $250ish for a screen replacement if you can't do it yourself. No removal battery, etc. The V20 is built as a "modular" phone and is super simple to tear down and replace the $120 screen/digitizer, practically everything can be replaced by the average Joe on it with the exception of the charging port unless you're some super soldering guru. And parts are cheap. Cheap Cheap Cheap. Kind of reassuring that such an expensive device is so easy to break down and repair.

All in all, I think that adds brownie points to the V20 build quality.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
What's worse, a bootloop or a ticking time bomb? At least LG fixes the bootloops

I agree. I believe the bootloop issues are relatively small percentage of lg phones. If Samsung could have figured out what was going on with the batteries they would have kept selling them. There was obviously a fatal design flaw that couldn't be addressed.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
It's said that the Note 7 battery was slightly too big, compartment for it too tight depending on how you look at it that caused some of the batteries to fail. If Samsung used a removable battery they could have simply sent out slightly smaller batteries to replace the faulty ones. Big loss Samsung had there.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It's said that the Note 7 battery was slightly too big, compartment for it too tight depending on how you look at it that caused some of the batteries to fail. If Samsung used a removable battery they could have simply sent out slightly smaller batteries to replace the faulty ones. Big loss Samsung had there.
I hope this causes an unsightly blemish on the whole non-removable battery movement and forces the manufacturers to return to removable batteries.

Kaelon

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Count me in as one of the LG V20 users who came from the Samsung Note 7. As I posted elsewhere, I was already disappointed with the Note 7, pre-explosion-gate, for the following reasons:

• Loss of removable battery.
  • Curvature of the screen felt gimmicky, reduced real estate.
  • Battery performance was mediocre.
  • Samsung's proprietary handling of expandable storage is gimmicky and a departure from Android Nougat.

So in many ways the LG V20 was a serious upgrade, especially with the removable battery. Yes, there's no AMOLED screen, and yes, it's not waterproof and dustproof the way the Note 7 was, and yes, it doesn't have an S Pen. But honestly, for business use, and given its amazing superior camera, plus the added bonus of Quad-DAC built right in -- this phone is the best device I have ever owned. I'm thrilled, and have had it since a couple of days before release.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Count me in as one of the LG V20 users who came from the Samsung Note 7. As I posted elsewhere, I was already disappointed with the Note 7, pre-explosion-gate, for the following reasons:

• Samsung's proprietary handling of expandable storage is gimmicky and a departure from Android Nougat.

So in many ways the LG V20 was a serious upgrade, especially with the removable battery. Yes, there's no AMOLED screen, and yes, it's not waterproof and dustproof the way the Note 7 was, and yes, it doesn't have an S Pen. But honestly, for business use, and given its amazing superior camera, plus the added bonus of Quad-DAC built right in -- this phone is the best device I have ever owned. I'm thrilled, and have had it since a couple of days before release.
Thanks for complimenting the camera.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Note 7 is still a great device and I'd be rockin it right now if it wasn't recalled! I would say the V20 is almost up there with the Note 4. of course the Note 4 is old now but I mean in comparison to being the complete device the Note 4 was. V20 has just about everything you want. Removable battery, SD slot, IR blaster. The Note 4 is still probably Samsung's greatest hit. I doubt they bring back removable battery though because that will be money lost then. As you see on here many still use the Note 4 and simply buy replacement batteries for it after nearly 2.5 years. If people are forced to get new batteries in their new devices now they simply buy a new device instead of sending it away to get a new battery put in it.

I would like to see the Note 8 be like the v20 and note 4 with all those features especially after the Note 7 disaster. If they take features like SD card slot away with the s8 and Note 8 I will probably go for the V30 then.

The Note 5 to me was a waste of money purchase. No SD card slot, IR blaster and no water resistance like the S5 had.

Hopefully the designers read these forums and see our gripes. Like Flossy says in his video reviews of devices when he states all of his dislikes he mentions prices and features a lot saying if more people complained, the prices might lower.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Flossy..... Lol

The guy gets a ton of channel views him along with J Williams. How do they get the money for all those phones and other gadgets? I know some of the phones are sent to them from the companies, but the V20 for example I recall Flossy said LG wouldn't send him one so he had to buy it.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
J Williams is funny because he didn't really like the V20 but he's marveling over the G5 with the Nougat update, and marveling over the G5 camera and everything.. So inconsistent.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The guy gets a ton of channel views him along with J Williams. How do they get the money for all those phones and other gadgets? I know some of the phones are sent to them from the companies, but the V20 for example I recall Flossy said LG wouldn't send him one so he had to buy it.
He makes money from views..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34