How is it rated against the other smartphones in its same category for comparison

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In what way(s)?

Super High Level:
Performance = Good
Camera = Good
Battery life = Good
Build Quality = Great
Display = Average
Security = Good
Software = Average
Specs = Great

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Security is a tough call, LG V20 is better out of the box, Samsung is better about monthly updates. Audio goes to the V20 by a long ways, specs goes to the V20 for having a more up to date SoC and a 64GB option.

Display, battery and camera all go to the S7 Edge.

Performance and software are too close to call for me, both have different things they are great at and utterly fail at.

Design I prefer the V20 to the Edge, but 100% subjective reasons on that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't the display be subjective?

No, the display comment is referencing display quality and accuracy. The Samsung S7 Edge has the best AMOLED display from a quality standpoint (power utilization, consistency, etc) in the industry and is also incredibly accurate when using their sRGB mode, which I believe they call basic. The LG V20 uses a custom IPS display with notably terrible accuracy. That's the objective side of display quality which is what I was referring to. If you're asking which any person prefers, that would be subjective - however I think it unlikely you'd find a consensus of people who prefer a terrible display to one of the best ones available. Anecdotally, I do have a friend who absolutely loved the audio of the V20, but ended up giving it up because of how poor the display is.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I love the displays on my V20 and before I got rid of my S7 Edge, while I couldn't help but respect and appreciate it's inky blacks I was nearly just as happy with my V20s' displays. ...Would never choose the S7 Edge's more potentially screen burn-in prone display to, what to me is, the tremendous display of the V20. The subjective side carries a lot of weight with me but we're all different.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I love the displays on my V20 and before I got rid of my S7 Edge, while I couldn't help but respect and appreciate it's inky blacks I was nearly just as happy with my V20s' displays. ...Would never choose the S7 Edge's more potentially screen burn-in prone display to, what to me is, the tremendous display of the V20. The subjective side carries a lot of weight with me but we're all different.

Absolutely correct, the decision of what you buy and/or keep should be based on what you like, not based on measurements. If you like phone A but phone B does better on some test of whatever kind so you buy B even though you wanted A... you did it wrong.

Want what you like, buy what you want, love what you bought.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No, the display comment is referencing display quality and accuracy. The Samsung S7 Edge has the best AMOLED display from a quality standpoint (power utilization, consistency, etc) in the industry and is also incredibly accurate when using their sRGB mode, which I believe they call basic. The LG V20 uses a custom IPS display with notably terrible accuracy. That's the objective side of display quality which is what I was referring to. If you're asking which any person prefers, that would be subjective - however I think it unlikely you'd find a consensus of people who prefer a terrible display to one of the best ones available. Anecdotally, I do have a friend who absolutely loved the audio of the V20, but ended up giving it up because of how poor the display is.
I'd still take the V20's display over the S7E simply to have a flat screen. Color accuracy is one thing (which I also prefer on the V20), but you can't discount the distortion problems the Edge causes when viewing, well... Pretty much anything full screen.

Camera is subjective too depending on the kind of shooter you are.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd still take the V20's display over the S7E simply to have a flat screen. Color accuracy is one thing (which I also prefer on the V20), but you can't discount the distortion problems the Edge causes when viewing, well... Pretty much anything full screen.

Camera is subjective too depending on the kind of shooter you are.
Excellent point, I prefer a flatter screen as well and by a lot.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea I hate the curved screen on the s7e. Not so much because of any distortion but it makes it harder to hold without touching the screen and it makes the screen seem much smaller than it actually is.

Quality wise I love the s7e display the brightness and viewing angles are ridiculously good. I'm probably more put off than some by the v20's display because I used the standard display mode on the s7 so the v20 looks super washed out by comparison. However, when the s7 is in basic mode it's the most accurate screen available on a phone. I'm guessing most people that comment on the s7 being too oversaturated have never tried the different display profiles. The v20 display would be a lot better if they would push an update to fix the calibration though it's waaay too cold to the point where anything white looks kinda blue.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Though curve screen has some functionality it is mostly a gimmick. It looks nice but the main issue I have is that it is easier to break.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Though curve screen has some functionality it is mostly a gimmick. It looks nice but the main issue I have is that it is easier to break.

Yea it's really cool looking but actually using it is a pita. It's definitely not as strong as a flat screen my brother shattered his s7e screen while it was in a spigen tough armor case which really shouldn't happen.

RoninX

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The audio is much better on the V20 (and the primary reason I bought one).

It's subjective, but I liked the design of the S7 Edge better and I thought it's screen was brighter and more vibrant (though the V20's screen is still very good and quite bright).

What drove me crazy about the S7 Edge was that I would get all sorts of accidental triggers on the edge of the screen when holding it. I ended up exchanging it for a Note 5 (which is what I was using before the V20).

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
At first I thought the S7e's screen was really neat because of the curve. Then I went about trying to find a good screen protector that would work with a case. $$ later I got fed up and sold it. If I can't protect my devices with a case and screen protector I just can't fully enjoy them.

...wasn't even tempted to get the S7, though at least the screen curvature didn't inhibit protection. Very happy with the LG devices though. Just plain 'ole fashioned contentment.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Your argument for the display quality is still entirely subjective. Objectivity should be based on unbiased evidence through facts & research...not a general consesus.

Samsung's AMOLED does not necessary provide a greater number of colors than IPS LCDs. The number of colors a display can provide is determined by the number of bits per color supported, and that depends on the display’s internal drivers, not the display technology. Most of the OLEDs panels on the market are still 6–8 bits/color, just like IPS LCDs.

As for color accuracy...neither technology has an inherent advantage. This generally is determined by whether or not you have the native primaries right (or use primaries such that the target gamut is exceeded at all points, then artificially process the data to correctly remap the colors) - and probably the single most important factor is getting the gamma (tone response) right on all three colors (the V20 panel tends to be on the natural side).

The only slight advantage OLED has over LCD would be through contrast, in terms of what you can measure in a dark room, since in the black state the OLED is emitting no light at all. In most normal viewing conditions, however, the delivered contrast is limited mostly by reflected ambient light raising the black level, so this advantage may not be seen in most circumstances. This advantage is also not enough to circumvent the growing issues of the organic degradation coupled with fact that it's cheaper to use lPS LCDs. When the organic life span gets better (100,000 hours right now) & the color bit depth & such is improved upon....then just maybe more manufacturers will jump onto the OLED gravy train.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Your argument for the display quality is still entirely subjective. Objectivity should be based on unbiased evidence through facts & research...not a general consesus.

Samsung's AMOLED does not necessary provide a greater number of colors than IPS LCDs. The number of colors a display can provide is determined by the number of bits per color supported, and that depends on the display’s internal drivers, not the display technology. Most of the OLEDs panels on the market are still 6–8 bits/color, just like IPS LCDs.

As for color accuracy...neither technology has an inherent advantage. This generally is determined by whether or not you have the native primaries right (or use primaries such that the target gamut is exceeded at all points, then artificially process the data to correctly remap the colors) - and probably the single most important factor is getting the gamma (tone response) right on all three colors (the V20 panel tends to be on the natural side).

The only slight advantage OLED has over LCD would be through contrast, in terms of what you can measure in a dark room, since in the black state the OLED is emitting no light at all. In most normal viewing conditions, however, the delivered contrast is limited mostly by reflected ambient light raising the black level, so this advantage may not be seen in most circumstances. This advantage is also not enough to circumvent the growing issues of the organic degradation coupled with fact that it's cheaper to use lPS LCDs. When the organic life span gets better (100,000 hours right now) & the color bit depth & such is improved upon....then just maybe more manufacturers will jump onto the OLED gravy train.

Samsung has a "basic" mode which has properly calibrated colors. LG does not have properly calibrated colors. That's the objective difference. One is the best display accuracy available on Android on the market and the other is far from it.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has a "basic" mode which has properly calibrated colors. LG does not have properly calibrated colors. That's the objective difference. One is the best display accuracy available on Android on the market and the other is far from it.

Have you tried playing with the High Contrast theme on the V20?...I have both phones...I have the V20 set to high contrast & the S7E on basic...there's really not much of a difference.

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I switched from the S6 Edge+ to the V20 today... traded in the Edge+ for credit against my remaining balance and got a great discount plus a free Asus ZenPad with 4G on my tablet line! Got a free UAG case for the V20 too...

So far I'm pleased with my choice and glad I did the trade in. I really like the second screen on the V20 and it kind of makes the screen feel bigger because of it, IMO. Still getting used to the new phone and getting acquainted with everything but I have to say, this thing is a beast with metal build, SD820 coupled with 4GB of RAM and dual screens... we'll see how it holds up but right now, I am very pleased! Oh and battery life seems much better on the V20 than on the Edge+. I know the Edge+ is a much older phone but that's all I can really personally compare it to other than even older phones. But yeah, so far I'm liking this thing a lot!!!

:)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae