Ergonomics over Aesthetics

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The LG V20 is, IMO, a case of ergonomics over aesthetics. I'm not saying that it doesn't look nice, because it really is a pretty decent looking phone, I'm just saying it feels better than it looks. I had the note 7 prior to the V20, and have to say that it was probably the best looking phone to have ever been made, but it wasn't the most comfortable to hold. The V20 definitely has it beat there. I definitely like it.

Purple Spy

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Aesthetics can (removed) right off in my opinion. My smartphone is a content creation and consumption machine. I need it do what i want, when i want.

I cant change the channel, but the edges are curved so thats nice.
I cant replace the battery, but the finish is pretty so thats nice.
I dont have a headphone jack, but the phone is .2mm thinner so thats nice.

Beef it up and load in everything you can think of, even if i use a feature maybe once a month, id rather have it over slightly thinner or prettier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Some posts have been removed. If you have a question about rules then send me a PM -- don't post about it in public (as stated in the rules). Thanks :).

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I love the build of this phone. Feels very good in hand.
I just hate that I have to put it in a case. On top of having a 15 month old who has really gotten into throwing crap, especially my wife's or my phone's, I've gotten a bit clumsy as of late. I just wish there was a super thin case (like dbrand stickies thin) with decent protection, especially around the camera (over paranoid about the Glass breaking). I know I know, I ask to much. Lol

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I just hate that I have to put it in a case. On top of having a 15 month old who has really gotten into throwing crap, especially my wife's or my phone's, I've gotten a bit clumsy as of late. I just wish there was a super thin case (like dbrand stickies thin) with decent protection, especially around the camera (over paranoid about the Glass breaking). I know I know, I ask to much. Lol

Haha ya. It's a resilient phone though.. It's impressive.. I think that if your glass hadn't broke yet it probably won't. Haha

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Haha ya. It's a resilient phone though.. It's impressive.. I think that if your glass hadn't broke yet it probably won't. Haha
It is, but can you honestly always trust everything they claim in their advertisements? I've also already put a couple of slight dings in mine near the charge port and the media/loudspeaker.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
It is, but can you honestly always trust everything they claim in their advertisements? I've also already put a couple of slight dings in mine near the charge port and the media/loudspeaker.
Ouch.. Have you seen the ridiculous drop test, it being dropped from 1,000 ft? Such a dumb test but it's entertaining

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Ouch.. Have you seen the ridiculous drop test, it being dropped from 1,000 ft? Such a dumb test but it's entertaining
I haven't, but honestly that's just stupid. Even if it was an iPhone 4 in an otterbox case the phone would be done for and that's back when you could drive over the phone in the OtterBox..

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
OK. Just watched it. Yeah it rings but what does that matter if you can't even see what's on the screen? Though any Samsung, s6 or later, would just be a pile of powdered glass and an iPhone would be more like an iTaco. Lol

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I do prefer function over form, but they did miss the mark by putting the volume buttons back on the side, in my opinion. On smaller phones, it wasn't much of an issue. On something the size of the V20, it's hard to hit them when using one handed.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't have minded the phone being thicker if LG had made the camera glass flush with or at least protrude less from the back of the phone. Or instead made the rear glass into smaller, separate pieces. But then we'd be wondering why LG didn't make it in one piece and yada yada yada.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The LG V20 is, IMO, a case of ergonomics over aesthetics. I'm not saying that it doesn't look nice, because it really is a pretty decent looking phone, I'm just saying it feels better than it looks. I had the note 7 prior to the V20, and have to say that it was probably the best looking phone to have ever been made, but it wasn't the most comfortable to hold. The V20 definitely has it beat there. I definitely like it.

Interesting. I agree that the V20 is nicer to hold than it looks. But I have to admit that my perspective is that the Note7 was by far the nicest phone to hold ergonomically that I have ever had. In fact, one of the reasons I switched to the Note7 at the time was just how great it felt in the hand. That it also looked great was just an added bonus. But I guess that this type of thing is very much in the hands of the beholder so to speak.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I agree that the V20 is nicer to hold than it looks. But I have to admit that my perspective is that the Note7 was by far the nicest phone to hold ergonomically that I have ever had. In fact, one of the reasons I switched to the Note7 at the time was just how great it felt in the hand. That it also looked great was just an added bonus. But I guess that this type of thing is very much in the hands of the beholder so to speak.
Very much in the beholder. For me, I felt like the note 7 dug into my palm but it's probably just the way I held it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox