How many V20 users have over the ear "high impedence"??

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: How many V20 users have over the ear "high impedence"??

I have a pair of Sol Republic Tracks V8's that trigger "high impedance" (I think the ran at 70 ohms) but those are "on-the-ear" headphones. Though I'd recommend something better, I feel like the B&O H3' that came with the promo sound better attached to the V20.

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

I have a pair of Sol Republic Tracks V8's that trigger "high impedance" (I think the ran at 70 ohms) but those are "on-the-ear" headphones. Though I'd recommend something better, I feel like the B&O H3' that came with the promo sound better attached to the V20.
They sound good when they trigger high impedance. Problem is they've only done it a few times out of about 100 that I've plugged them in. I'm also in the market for a decent pair of headphones to compliment the device. Sorry but the H3 in normal mode just don't do it for me. I'm looking for good noise canceled buds that utilize the the DAC fully every time they're plugged in.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
It would be nice to get a good list going. Might as well try to utilize every bit of the phone to its fullest extent since we have it.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

They sound good when they trigger high impedance. Problem is they've only done it a few times out of about 100 that I've plugged them in. I'm also in the market for a decent pair of headphones to compliment the device. Sorry but the H3 in normal mode just don't do it for me. I'm looking for good noise canceled buds that utilize the the DAC fully every time they're plugged in.
My tacks activate "high impedance" every time for me so that's weird they don't for you. And I never said that the h3's were great, just better than the the tracks IMHO.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Take a peek at the following article, also keep in mind anything with an impedance of 50 ohms or greater will trigger that high impedance mode...
http://headphonesaddict.com/best-noise-isolating-earbuds/

Sound wise (sound stage), noise isolating in-ear headphones (ear buds) tend to always sound much better than their noise cancelling counterparts. You will also have a hard time finding in-ear headphones with enough impedance to trigger high impedance. 50 ohms or greater is typically reserved for on or over-the-ear headphones, not in-ear.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have a true recommendation from actually owning the over the ear headphones with the V20? We are looking for head phones that trigger the "high impedance" which is said to be over 50 ohms on the LG V20..... [url]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/slave2_ragdolls/rl253dlxwg1fa1mtcttw_zpsrxw1ndsk.gif If yes?...... What are they?[/URL]

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on Beyerdynamics Custom Studios. They are 80ohm and have an adjustable 4 position slider which changes the bass port to add or remove bass. They come with a removable coiled cable. The offer a cable with mic and remote button for 25 dollars but I may look for a generic one if they are cheaper. The headphones are 199 on Amazon through 17th Street Photo.

Last edited:

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It would be nice to get a good list going. Might as well try to utilize every bit of the phone to its fullest extent since we have it.

Here's a quick list...entry level (over the ear), not in any particular order with amazon prime pricing:

-AKG Pro Audio K702 (224.86)
-Sennheiser HD 598 (149.93)
-Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80/250 ohms (137 / 154.17)
-Sennheiser HD 650 (314.99)
-Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 (128)
-Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC (299)
-Hifiman HE400i Planar Magnetic (249) *
-Grado SR80e (99) *
-Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (139) *

All those tagged with an asterisk are below the 50 ohm requirement, but are still very good with the phone.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here's a quick list...entry level (over the ear), not in any particular order with amazon prime pricing:

-AKG Pro Audio K702 (224.86)
-Sennheiser HD 598 (149.93)
-Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80/250 ohms (137 / 154.17)
-Sennheiser HD 650 (314.99)
-Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 (128)
-Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC (229)
-Hifiman HE400i Planar Magnetic (249) *
-Grado SR80e (99) *
-Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (139) *

All those tagged with an asterisk are below the 50 ohm requirement, but are still very good with the phone.

The ATH-MSR7NC are only high impedance with Noise Cancelling active so they might not activate high impedance with NC off.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The ATH-MSR7NC are only high impedance with Noise Cancelling active so they might not activate high impedance with NC off.

That could be the case, but they still provides consistent Hi-Res Audio reproduction (with or without) noise cancelling turned on. There is no discernable difference between the two settings. You would be better off keeping the noise cancellation always turned.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That could be the case, but they still provides consistent Hi-Res Audio reproduction (with or without) noise cancelling turned on. There is no discernable difference between the two settings. You would be better off keeping the noise cancellation always turned.

NC always impacts the sound but I agree keeping the NC always on is best. I hate that they have a rechargeable battery but it is warranted for two and they can replace it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I saw that but there has to be some change in characteristics because of the amp that kicks in for the NC. I actually spoke to a factory rep who has a pair and confirmed a subtle difference though it's probably not worth debating. I believe in this case they actually sound better with NC active because the V20 bumps up the gain. They are quite good though based on other people I know that in them.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am so pissed I missed the promo. I thought a lot of the promo headphones might show up for sale cheap. dumb