BT audio lag with video playback

huntm856

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Just moved over to a V20 from a Note 3. So far I'm loving the phone, but I've noticed that when playing video and listening through a BT headset, the audio track lags with respect to the video track to the point of being noticeably out of sync. The amount of lag varies considerably depending on which headset I'm using. With one it appears to be >>100 ms, perhaps as much as a half-second; with another, it's essentially negligible.

Anyone else notice this?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it with Facebook and YouTube videos, but when using Netflix or Hulu it was in sync...but the issue is the same on my S7 Edge, so maybe it's the app? Do you still have the Note 3 to try it?

huntm856

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I do still have the Note 3. I'll check it again. But in the almost three years I had it I never took noticed audio/video sync issues in any streaming or stored video files I watched regardless of source or playback app. So I'm pretty sure it's a difference in how the V20 handles video.

BTW, another thing I noticed is that the V20's BT notification icon includes a battery indicator for the connected device, something I'd not seen before. But only for one of the three headsets I've connected -- the one that has no noticeable lag. I looked at my headsets and it seems that the 'good' one is newer and uses BT 4.0 while the laggy ones are older and use BT 2.1 or 3. I'm wondering whether the V20 outputs its BT signal at a higher rate (less compression maybe?) than the older headsets can accommodate, causing a necessity for buffering, leading to lag. That would explain it.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
The only time I've noticed audio lag over Bluetooth is when I'm attached to the family car and it's not just with my phone but the wife's iPhone as well. I think it's just the cars system taking time to process due to being a bigger, more powerful system

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers