LG V20 Tips & Tricks!

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hoping some of the V20 owners out there could share their best tips & tricks based on their experience with the V20. Am considering picking one up and would love to hear about all of the cool features, shortcuts and general tips you've uncovered while using the phone!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
No trix per se. Just using it with my favorite apps on the second screen. I. Love. This. Phone.
Its fast. Sounds good. Neat camera. Love the displays.

The V20...it just Is.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
If you uninstall certain included apps from LG, they are recoverable not from SETTINGS/ APPS, where you might expect to find them, but from
Settings
About Phone
Update Center

So I have learned the hard way. :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you uninstall certain included apps from LG, they are recoverable not from SETTINGS/ APPS, where you might expect to find them, but from
Settings
About Phone
Update Center

So I have learned the hard way. :)

This depends on the version of phone you have. Verizon models do not have the update center.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
This depends on the version of phone you have. Verizon models do not have the update center.

Aha. TMO here. I've been on TMO for so long, can't remember what a phone from another carrier looks like.
Thanks for noting that. Certainly odd--guarantees nothing is ever simple. :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Aha. TMO here. I've been on TMO for so long, can't remember what a phone from another carrier looks like.
Thanks for noting that. Certainly odd--guarantees nothing is ever simple. :)
Looks like there is a trade-off in that I don't think the Verizon version lets you fully uninstall the LG apps. I only have the open to disable.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
This may be old hat to some but it's new to me since I have always used third party messenger apps. You can pinch to enlarge and shrink the size of text in messenger.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings > general > about phone > software info > and then tap 'build number' 3 times to enable developer mode. Then go back to settings > general > developer mode > and then scroll down until you see "window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale. Now turn them all off. Now watch how fast and fluid your OS will be! I do this for all my other android phones, a huge improvement in speed when navigating through the OS.

Then go to settings > networks > mobile data > and then go through your apps and pick the ones you DON'T want to have background data permissions (such as Facebook) and then press disable background data. It'll help you save battery and data. Alternatively you can enable "data saver mode" as well from the notification bar dropdown shortcut.

Last but not least, install the following free apps:

ForceDoze
Greenify

Follow the instructions from the ForceDoze app and enable it. It will significantly improve battery life when the phone is idle.

Install Greenify and tap the + symbol to select apps you want to hibernate. The developer suggests that you only hibernate apps YOU RARELY USE. Then occasionally, press the hibernate button and hibernate those apps. You'll see an improvement in battery life. On average I get around 5-6 hours SOT. Sometimes more, sometimes less (depending on usage and apps installed).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings > general > about phone > software info > and then tap 'build number' 3 times to enable developer mode. Then go back to settings > general > developer mode > and then scroll down until you see "window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale. Now turn them all off. Now watch how fast and fluid your OS will be! I do this for all my other android phones, a huge improvement in speed when navigating through the OS.

Then go to settings > networks > mobile data > and then go through your apps and pick the ones you DON'T want to have background data permissions (such as Facebook) and then press disable background data. It'll help you save battery and data. Alternatively you can enable "data saver mode" as well from the notification bar dropdown shortcut.

Last but not least, install the following free apps:

ForceDoze
Greenify

Follow the instructions from the ForceDoze app and enable it. It will significantly improve battery life when the phone is idle.

Install Greenify and tap the + symbol to select apps you want to hibernate. The developer suggests that you only hibernate apps YOU RARELY USE. Then occasionally, press the hibernate button and hibernate those apps. You'll see an improvement in battery life. On average I get around 5-6 hours SOT. Sometimes more, sometimes less (depending on usage and apps installed).
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I don't do any of thos things and I get 5-6 hours SOT also.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a minor bug where the secondary screen will get stuck on its immersive mode, showing the clock, signal strength, and notification icons. It'll stay like this even when on your home screen.

So this tip is how to reset it.

Chances are, you had been in a full screen app, like a game or the photo gallery, and exited in a non-standard way. I.e. You used the home button or recent apps button to switch instead of using the back button or the app's dedicated exit functions when available. What you need to do is go back into that app and then fully exit it rather than simply sending it to the background.

This bug doesn't always pop up in my experience, so it could perhaps be a lack of optimization on the app rather than a bug of the V20 itself. I've also noticed you have to use the original triggering app in question. If it was a game that triggered the bug, viewing a photo in the gallery and then exiting from it will not work. You have to go back into that game and then exit out from it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2