Fast charging has recently become quite slow.

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
In the last couple of days, my Verizon LG V20 has started charging quite slowly, it says it's Fast Charging but it says that it will take FOUR hours for a full charge, and it is indeed taking that long. I've tried several different USB-C cables, including the one that came with the phone. I've also tried different Quick Charge 3.0 chargers, also including the original LG charger. The results are identical.

Coincidentally, this behavior started around the same time I installed the latest security update, although I have no proof that these events are related. I've tried rebooting, deleting the data in the Cache Partition and even removing the battery for a while, nothing has helped. The phone charges just as slowly even if I turn it off completely while charging. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Last edited:

carme4

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

Wow OP you just saved me a big long explanation that I was about to post! I am on AT&T and having the exact same issue! Also my phone suddenly doesn't beep when plugged into the charger (used to beep instantly) for a few seconds and sometimes when it gets to 91% charged or above it keeps beeping every few seconds! I tried all kinds of cords and chargers this weekend wondering what suddenly happened and as far as I can see I have received no new update.

carme4

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

I am having the identical problem this guy over on XDA posted. Here is a screenshot. My phone also suddenly thinks it is plugged into USB. I too have pulled the battery and cleared the cache, etc. 1484050128439.jpg1484050128439.jpg

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
re:

Turns out that I may have a misbehaving background app that has the CPU operating near 100% all the time. Not only is it taking a long time to charge even though it says that Fast Charging is active, my battery is now draining completely in around two hours because of the high CPU useage. I used to have an app (OS Monitor) that would tell me which background app was chewing up all the CPU resources but I just found out that it doesn't work with Android 7. What a pain!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

Same thing stated happening to me a while back. At first I didn't think much of it because it seems LG is just fussy with their charging rates. Coming from the G4 and seeing similar results on the V20, the screen had to be off and the temps under 95°F for it to ramp up to the full 3A Quick Charge rates. Since I often leave my screen on when charging, I can't say when things actually went south on my V20. Even with a brand new cable, it still slow charges most of the time even when the notification says fast charging.

I know it's not a rogue app on mine, as battery life when charged is still great. For whatever reason, LG just seems overly aggressive about throttling charging rates. So I can't say if they did this with an update, or something truly glitched.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
re:

Turns out that I may have a misbehaving background app that has the CPU operating near 100% all the time. Not only is it taking a long time to charge even though it says that Fast Charging is active, my battery is now draining completely in around two hours because of the high CPU useage. I used to have an app (OS Monitor) that would tell me which background app was chewing up all the CPU resources but I just found out that it doesn't work with Android 7. What a pain!
So how do you find the problem app? I'm at 38% and is dating that I only have 50 minutes left. I'm not even doing anything to it.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
re:

In the last couple of days, my Verizon LG V20 has started charging quite slowly, it says it's Fast Charging but it says that it will take FOUR hours for a full charge, and it is indeed taking that long. I've tried several different USB-C cables, including the one that came with the phone. I've also tried different Quick Charge 3.0 chargers, also including the original LG charger. The results are identical.

Coincidentally, this behavior started around the same time I installed the latest security update, although I have no proof that these events are related. I've tried rebooting, deleting the data in the Cache Partition and even removing the battery for a while, nothing has helped. The phone charges just as slowly even if I turn it off completely while charging. Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Me as well, this is the picture of my time it will take, if the screen was off it would still take about 4 hours.

Attachments

• 25733.jpg
    25733.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 94

carme4

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

I ran my battery down to 0%, did a battery pull, uninstalled Facebook and Messenger since they are the topic today of fast battery drain but I still get no beep when I plug in the charger and it shows USB on the LG quick charger with a Benson approved I Orange cord. With the LG charger and cord it doesn't beep immediately but it will eventually and show quick charging. None of my approved cords suddenly work, only the LG original.

cell adviser

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
re:

Turn that off it will murder your battery. It's not all that much faster anyway and it makes the device super crazy hot turn it off if you keep your phone more than a year with anyone in their right mind should. Even if you get new phones off and take care of it remember the more you take care of your phone the more it will be worth when you sell it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

I think I found my culprit. There's another thread here about accelerated battery loss and turns out it was related to the Facebook and Messenger apps. I only have the FB Messenger app, so I force closed it to see if it did anything. Not only did my already good battery life possibly increase, but my charging rates seem to be back to normal.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
re:

I think I found my culprit. There's another thread here about accelerated battery loss and turns out it was related to the Facebook and Messenger apps. I only have the FB Messenger app, so I force closed it to see if it did anything. Not only did my already good battery life possibly increase, but my charging rates seem to be back to normal.
Did you ever reinstall fb?

Right now I'm at 37%. Using OEM charger and it's telling me 4hrs to get to 100%.

The temperature is at 93° so it's not over heated.

What other problems could their be?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

I believe it happened to me sometime after the last update and unplugging everything corrected it. Sometimes a reboot helps but if it doesn't and you kind find what's causing the last alternative would be factory reset before sending it in.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

I forgot about that possibility. If a background app is hyperactive the charging system reacts almost the same as the screen staying on in which case it slow charges.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

I ran my battery down to 0%, did a battery pull, uninstalled Facebook and Messenger since they are the topic today of fast battery drain but I still get no beep when I plug in the charger and it shows USB on the LG quick charger with a Benson approved I Orange cord. With the LG charger and cord it doesn't beep immediately but it will eventually and show quick charging. None of my approved cords suddenly work, only the LG original.

I had a cord stop working after an update on my G5. Still works on the V20.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
re:

Did you ever reinstall fb?...

...The temperature is at 93° so it's not over heated.

I don't use the main FB app (I access it through Chrome plus push notifications), only the messenger app. I don't have any plans to install it either, but my charging is back to normal.

The 93° temp isn't hot, but it's my experience that LG throttles the charge at low temps. 93° is right about on that bubble where it'll slow down the charge a bit.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
re:

I read something saying that for the Facebook and Facebook messenger app fast battery drain that all you need to do to fix it is to reset the apps as in delete the apps data from app info and then resign in. Well and of course reconfigure any app setting but it should be back to normal Facebook battery usage

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
My slow charging issue was Facebook having a problem with one of their servers which caused phones across the world to get stuck in a condition where the CPU operated at 100% constantly. Facebook admitted to it, apologized and fixed the issue, everything has been fine since then.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the Facebook or Messenger apps. Also, I don't use the e-mail apps as well. These apps run constantly in the background and kill your battery. As an alternative, I recommend using Folio or Metal instead of Facebook. It also has a built in messaging app for Facebook, though you lose some features. Also, install Greenify and hibernate apps you don't really use often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22