It's been almost 3 months since the US release and no camera glass available yet...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Other than the s7 edge, this has been a pretty crappy year for phones. IPhone 7 wasn't much of an upgrade, Note 7 disaster, g5 was a flop, Pixel is so so, and the V20 didn't take off.

Well... As far as I'm concerned the market has peaked for quite some time.... There is nothing really exciting or ground breaking out there so everyone goes with what they are comfortable with or what they like. I don't run with the crowd and if what I own isn't popular it doesn't bother me. The biggest drawback to a phone that doesnt sell well is there are fewer accessories tailored to it. For me that usually means less options in the way of cases. For people who wait, buying a phone that doesn't sell well can mean big savings. I went with the V20 and extremely happy. Love in no particular order.... the speed, the dual camera, the DAC and the removable battery.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Well... As far as I'm concerned the market has peaked for quite some time.... There is nothing really exciting or ground breaking out there so everyone goes with what they are comfortable with or what they like. I don't run with the crowd and if what I own isn't popular it doesn't bother me. The biggest drawback to a phone that doesnt sell well is there are fewer accessories tailored to it. For me that usually means less options in the way of cases. For people who wait, buying a phone that doesn't sell well can mean big savings. I went with the V20 and extremely happy. Love in no particular order.... the speed, the dual camera, the DAC and the removable battery.

Yea, Best Buy doesn't even sell cases for the V20! I had to buy my Otterbox at the Tmobile store.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes.... Verizon after release had only 3 cases and they had to bring them out of the back.... They still don't have much.... Thank God for Amazon

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Knew I'd seen it here.
I dropped my LG V20 and you'll never guess what happened next... | Android Central

Again, don't know if 'widespread' then or if it was covered by warranty, but it was at least a concern with early units. Anyway, I hope you get yours replaced soon, can't be good having such a great camera foiled by the lack of protective glass.
Even JerryRigEverything experienced it while doing the durability test of his V20.

I thought it was being replaced under warranty as it seemed to be a global issue.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Even JerryRigEverything experienced it while doing the durability test of his V20.

I thought it was being replaced under warranty as it seemed to be a global issue.

In jerryrig's case he damaged the lens deliberately though he didn't expect it. I wouldn't call this a global issue. In many cases it was dropped and some claim it happened on its own. There haven't been many cases that I'm aware since the initial reports, however the replacement part not being available in not acceptable.

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I will say that I recently dropped my phone from a short height of about a foot, foot and a half on top a granite counter top. It was a short fall but it sounded to be a rather hard drop for the height. Nothing happened to the camera glass. I had a slim Spigen Liquid Crystal bumper on.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Probably not but once it's in stock it could be an option for people that need the glass replaced since finding just the glass is impossible at this point.

The only drawback is replacing that part might void the warranty if any telltale signs of replacement are found.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well even a not so perfect repair job on the glass could do that.
I replaced my glass on the G5 and you can't tell. I actually sent it into LG for another repair after that. Of course if you scratch it up trying to remove the broken parts that might make a difference but external marks might not impact warranty unless they just want to be difficult.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my glass on the G5 and you can't tell. I actually sent it into LG for another repair after that. Of course if you scratch it up trying to remove the broken parts that might make a difference but external marks might not impact warranty unless they just want to be difficult.
Unless the glass is considered a user replaceable part then LG could easily void the manufacturer warranty if someone replaced it on their own.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Unless the glass is considered a user replaceable part then LG could easily void the manufacturer warranty if someone replaced it on their own.
They could but you can't tell. Broken pieces removed and glass replaced.... Good as new. Not sure if can be done on the V20 but only time will tell

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to add that on the G5 LG takes the phone apart and pushes out the glass from the inside or at least people that they do and charge big bucks to do so.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I kind of figured when a replacement piece became available it was going to be an entire back section like this. At this point I couldn't care less about it being $60, I'll just be happy to fix the glass and be on my way with it again. Once it becomes available (or anything else for the matter) then I'll be sure to update.

Thanks for posting this! It gives me back my long lost hope for the repair.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay