A few performance questions about the V20

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So, this is my third V20. I really want to like the phone obviously.

I started with the Pixel XL on launch date. I also got the V20 on launch date so that I could use the two side by side for two weeks during the return period. I decided to keep the Pixel XL after two weeks of using both phones. I found that the Pixel XL took better pictures more easily. I don't want to use manual mode. I just want to point and shoot. Since then I've gotten two more V20's. Second one was because the Pixel XL went to a black screen and wouldn't do anything. Spoke with tech support and they told me to return the Pixel XL. The following day Google called me and told me that they could send me a brand new Pixel XL and I agreed. Returned the second V20 which was lagging and a few other minor pet peeves. I'd been using the replacement brand new Pixel XL for about three weeks now and it too started to lag and be inconsistent with screen presses etc. So, I bought my third V20 3 days ago and sold the Pixel XL on eBay yesterday for $750.

The problem that I'm having with the V20 is a slow browsing speed when using Chrome, facebook or any web based application. I restart my phone at least once a day after clearing the cache and making sure there are no running apps. I guess I just have to accept the fact that pictures that I've taken don't appear clear at all when I zoom in on them. I've tried every setting in auto mode. 16:9, 4:3, HDR ON and any other configuration of wide angle, etc.

So, any tips or links to a fix for the slow browsing? When compared side-by-side with the Pixel XL the V20 browsing speed is horrible. Some pages that take 2-3 seconds to open on the Pixel XL may take like 12+ seconds to open on the V20.

I'm using Nova launcher on the V20 and that eliminated the lag when switching screens, apps and such. I accessed Developer Mode and turned all animations to OFF.

Keep in mind, I AM NOT here to bash the V20. It's here to stay since I sold my Pixel XL. I'm looking for tips and advice on the aforementioned things. Thanks in advance.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you looked in settings> battery> Game Battery Saver? I know that's on by default and can cause lag in games. I haven't heard of it affecting other apps, but I know most people turn it off anyway. Basically it just throttles performance. Worth a shot.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked in settings> battery> Game Battery Saver? I know that's on by default and can cause lag in games. I haven't heard of it affecting other apps, but I know most people turn it off anyway. Basically it just throttles performance. Worth a shot.

Thank you for your feedback. I did try that already.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Chrome was almost unusable for me when I first got my v20. I had to uninstall it and start using pyrope browser on the first day.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm having no problem at all with Chrome. (As a web developer, I'd certainly notice issues.) Look through your Chrome settings, maybe it's sites allowed to use your location, maybe you gave too many tabs open.

Also, I'd be interested to know how a speed test within Chrome works: https://www.google.ca/search?q=spee...s-android-lge&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8 Is network particularly slow in Chrome vs an app like Ookla Speedtest. I doubt that page "load" is actually slow, but more that JavaScript is running slow.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
So, this is my third V20. I really want to like the phone obviously.

I started with the Pixel XL on launch date. I also got the V20 on launch date so that I could use the two side by side for two weeks during the return period. I decided to keep the Pixel XL after two weeks of using both phones. I found that the Pixel XL took better pictures more easily. I don't want to use manual mode. I just want to point and shoot. Since then I've gotten two more V20's. Second one was because the Pixel XL went to a black screen and wouldn't do anything. Spoke with tech support and they told me to return the Pixel XL. The following day Google called me and told me that they could send me a brand new Pixel XL and I agreed. Returned the second V20 which was lagging and a few other minor pet peeves. I'd been using the replacement brand new Pixel XL for about three weeks now and it too started to lag and be inconsistent with screen presses etc. So, I bought my third V20 3 days ago and sold the Pixel XL on eBay yesterday for $750.

The problem that I'm having with the V20 is a slow browsing speed when using Chrome, facebook or any web based application. I restart my phone at least once a day after clearing the cache and making sure there are no running apps. I guess I just have to accept the fact that pictures that I've taken don't appear clear at all when I zoom in on them. I've tried every setting in auto mode. 16:9, 4:3, HDR ON and any other configuration of wide angle, etc.

So, any tips or links to a fix for the slow browsing? When compared side-by-side with the Pixel XL the V20 browsing speed is horrible. Some pages that take 2-3 seconds to open on the Pixel XL may take like 12+ seconds to open on the V20.

I'm using Nova launcher on the V20 and that eliminated the lag when switching screens, apps and such. I accessed Developer Mode and turned all animations to OFF.

Keep in mind, I AM NOT here to bash the V20. It's here to stay since I sold my Pixel XL. I'm looking for tips and advice on the aforementioned things. Thanks in advance.
To get better pictures in auto (point & shoot mode), leave HDR mode on.
However, in low light, it is better to be in Auto mode where you can select a lower iso, 100 or 200 than what Auto decides for you (iso 800 or 1600 which gives grainy images)

To see how good the photo is, view it on the computer with 100 % zoom. I think if you do a maximum zoom on the phone, the enlargement is more than 100%, that's why it will not look good.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
To get better pictures in auto (point & shoot mode), leave HDR mode on.
However, in low light, it is better to be in Auto mode where you can select a lower iso, 100 or 200 than what Auto decides for you (iso 800 or 1600 which gives grainy images)

To see how good the photo is, view it on the computer with 100 % zoom. I think if you do a maximum zoom on the phone, the enlargement is more than 100%, that's why it will not look good.

I do leave HDR on all the time unless I need the flash.

I'll try the ISO settings that you mentioned.

The pictures look like crap on the phone or computer. Even if I zoom slightly. Thanks for your reply.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry you're having weird problems. I saw your post on the Pixel forum.

I've been using Firefox on my phone. I like to move around through different browsers, as I even use different browsers on my computer for different purposes. Firefox might be big and clunky on a desktop but it's pretty good for Android.

As far as pics, there is something that LG does in it post processing after you take the pic. To get away from that, try using manual mode. I know that doesn't quite help with the point and shoot type of pics. Check out the picture section on this forum and see if your pic quality compares to some of the better pics in that thread.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm having no problem at all with Chrome. (As a web developer, I'd certainly notice issues.) Look through your Chrome settings, maybe it's sites allowed to use your location, maybe you gave too many tabs open.

Also, I'd be interested to know how a speed test within Chrome works: https://www.google.ca/search?q=spee...s-android-lge&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8 Is network particularly slow in Chrome vs an app like Ookla Speedtest. I doubt that page "load" is actually slow, but more that JavaScript is running slow.
How would that help the user? Slow is slow. I also prefer firefox and free adblocker browser (chrome without ads)

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
How would that help the user? Slow is slow. I also prefer firefox and free adblocker browser (chrome without ads)
Except that Chrome doesn't work slow for most users. He said that pages loaded slowly... What does that mean? How to diagnose? He says Chrome on pixel was faster by 10 seconds per page.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Except that Chrome doesn't work slow for most users. He said that pages loaded slowly... What does that mean? How to diagnose? He says Chrome on pixel was faster by 10 seconds per page.
Fine. So let's say Javascript is at fault. No real fix for that is there?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Fine. So let's say Javascript is at fault. No real fix for that is there?
Why would it be at fault on the v20 and not the pixel? That seems odd, and switching browsers won't necessarily help. If the symptoms are correct, then there's something really wrong with either the phone or the Chrome settings, or tabs open. I agree that the speed test thing was a red herring.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I used to use Chrome and didn't have a really any problems it but it seems to be a little slower in load time than others browsers. I've also used dolphin but deleted it after reading something that said that even in incognito it still tracked you usage. Plus it didn't have a setting to turn off tracking. I used pyrope for a while and it was pretty quick. Right now though my go to is Firefox. I love the security settings and the ability to use add-ons. I have ublock origin and speedyfox(speed tweaks) add to it. It may not be quite as fast as pyrope but with speedyfox added its almost as fast. Plus it's a full featured browser and can sync to the desktop version. And I also have it set up to delete its cache when I exit it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21