Is the whole community here happy with the LG V20?

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I seem to be one of the main thread starters here..... LOL! How do I post a snapshot from my V20? I know how to take the picture. I just do not know how to post my snapshot to this forum?? [url]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d114/slave2_ragdolls/index1.gif[/URL]
I love the sound quality from the phone, the large screen, and generally snappy experience. The auto mode in the camera is terrible, but it remembers my manual settings, so I use manual and it works well.

The only things that bother me a lot are the inconsistent battery life, which some days is absolutely horrific, but fine other days with no discernible difference in use, and the sheer number of app crashes I have. Many common apps crash frequently. I've had these same apps on a Pixel XL (ie. It's not a Nougat issue), and an S7 Edge, with no crashes.

Oh, also LastPass can't seem to work on most apps whereas it did in other phones. I have changed its settings to allow it to paint over other apps. But I still more often than not have to go copy and paste usernames and passwords and switch back and forth to use it, much like the LastPass experience on iOS.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I really liked my V20! I actually prefer it to the Note line at this point. The battery life, top screen, removable battery, ir blaster, etc..... were awesome. The V20 is definitely packed with features.

The OnePlus 3T was just too good of a deal to pass up for me. Also, I'm trying to be more frugal in the new year lol.
I just ordered a OnePlus 3t to try out because of some of the issues I'm having with the V20. But I suspect that the V20 will win because the music quality is so damn good. I'll live with its issues most likely.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I still get kind of confused when people complain about the camera because I get bad shots sometimes but I also get good ones.. On auto mode.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh, also LastPass can't seem to work on most apps whereas it did in other phones. I have changed its settings to allow it to paint over other apps. But I still more often than not have to go copy and paste usernames and passwords and switch back and forth to use it, much like the LastPass experience on iOS.

I use Last Pass too, but don't have this problem. It works fine for me, though it has started having a different issue. When I select the login to use on the pop-up, it fills in the info right but then pop's up the selection again. Sometimes with the options for different apps. I have to manually close it before I can proceed in the app I'm working in.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I use Last Pass too, but don't have this problem. It works fine for me, though it has started having a different issue. When I select the login to use on the pop-up, it fills in the info right but then pop's up the selection again. Sometimes with the options for different apps. I have to manually close it before I can proceed in the app I'm working in.

Interesting. I'll look at the permissions and settings again to see if I can resolve this.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I still get kind of confused when people complain about the camera because I get bad shots sometimes but I also get good ones.. On auto mode.

It's about lack of consistency. With the S7 Edge, the Google Pixel and the iPhone 7/Plus, ever photo in auto mode is excellent, whereas with the LG V20, some are excellent but many are not, whether it's a focus or graininess issue. So if you've got the time to take several photos to get a good one, it's not a problem. But if you're taking more candid photos like of your kids at a birthday party, you could easily lost a great shot because of this issue and there is no 2nd chance to correct it.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It's about lack of consistency. With the S7 Edge, the Google Pixel and the iPhone 7/Plus, ever photo in auto mode is excellent, whereas with the LG V20, some are excellent but many are not, whether it's a focus or graininess issue. So if you've got the time to take several photos to get a good one, it's not a problem. But if you're taking more candid photos like of your kids at a birthday party, you could easily lost a great shot because of this issue and there is no 2nd chance to correct it.
Yeah. I've almost given up on taking clear pictures of my 15 month old with my v20, even with tracking focus on. Almost feel like I'm using manual focus on a DSLR sometimes..

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I agree. I also do not like the fact that the 16MP camera is in 4:3 . My Note 4 is much more consistent and has a 16:9 with the 16MP camera. I find that I do not use my camera on this phone as much as I did on my Note 4. I am starting to learn how to use manual mode more. It is helping. But there is nothing like a point and shoot camera on a phone in auto mode.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I also do not like the fact that the 16MP camera is in 4:3 . My Note 4 is much more consistent and has a 16:9 with the 16MP camera. I find that I do not use my camera on this phone as much as I did on my Note 4. I am starting to learn how to use manual mode more. It is helping. But there is nothing like a point and shoot camera on a phone in auto mode.

The 16 MP 16:9 is a 12 MP in 4:3.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The 16 MP 16:9 is a 12 MP in 4:3.
Mak916 correct, the native 16MP is with 4:3 aspect ratio. It shows that in the settings when selecting photo size. You can even verify this by selecting 16:9 (12MP) and taking a shot in manual with RAW. Compare the 16:9 jpeg to the RAW file and you'll see the RAW file is still 4:3 (16MP), showing the additional detail that was automatically cropped out to make the 16:9 jpeg.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mak916 correct, the native 16MP is with 4:3 aspect ratio. It shows that in the settings when selecting photo size. You can even verify this by selecting 16:9 (12MP) and taking a shot in manual with RAW. Compare the 16:9 jpeg to the RAW file and you'll see the RAW file is still 4:3 (16MP), showing the additional detail that was automatically cropped out to make the 16:9 jpeg.
I'm referencing taking proper 4:3 photos with the Note, if it's 16 MP in 16:9, a 4:3 crop will be 12 MP. Therefore the LG with native 16 MP 4:3 is the higher res photo.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm referencing taking proper 4:3 photos with the Note, if it's 16 MP in 16:9, a 4:3 crop will be 12 MP. Therefore the LG with native 16 MP 4:3 is the higher res photo.
Gotcha. Your initial reply wasn't clear since Mak916 mentioned both phones.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I like this phone, the only thing that still bothers me though is the volume button placement, in the back like my LG G3 would've made this best phone ive ever used. I appreciate the DAC on this phone the most, and the camera and video is exceptional to my uses. The clarity of the phone calls is up there if not the best on any Android I've ever used. The stock 64gigs is a huge bonus. Like to get a true Nougut/Pixel experiance, adding Nova Launcher and presto..you got it. If only the volume buttons where in the back.. :(

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I like this phone, the only thing that still bothers me though is the volume button placement, in the back like my LG G3 would've made this best phone ive ever used. I appreciate the DAC on this phone the most, and the camera and video is exceptional to my uses. The clarity of the phone calls is up there if not the best on any Android I've ever used. The stock 64gigs is a huge bonus. Like to get a true Nougut/Pixel experiance, adding Nova Launcher and presto..you got it. If only the volume buttons where in the back.. :(
The one thing even with Nova that drives me nuts is that I can't get away from the square contact widgets that come with LG phones. I've tried to switch to Google Contacts but can't seem to find it for this phone. I'm now using Google Dialer as the primary phone and Google Messenger as the primary SMS client. Any tips?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The one thing even with Nova that drives me nuts is that I can't get away from the square contact widgets that come with LG phones. I've tried to switch to Google Contacts but can't seem to find it for this phone. I'm now using Google Dialer as the primary phone and Google Messenger as the primary SMS client. Any tips?
I just created this circle contact icon, is this what you meant?
e619f51b3a993660a86f429607008dd6.jpg

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I missed that. How did you ensure that the stock Contact widget allows you to use a round photo rather than a square one?
Now your sounding like my boss... Dude, I did it without any hocus pocus, this is what you get, nothing special.