06-16-2017 10:00 AM
78 1234
tools
    I really posted for information purposes so others would know and beware. I bought it from Amazon and am out of return time frame. I guess technically it is not a known issue, but it's an issue that LG should handle better then they did,or at least offer parts. Sadly I could have bought 2 Oneplus 3s for the price of it. Lesson learned.
    01-24-2017 08:29 PM
    I really posted for information purposes so others would know and beware. I bought it from Amazon and am out of return time frame. I guess technically it is not a known issue, but it's an issue that LG should handle better then they did,or at least offer parts. Sadly I could have bought 2 Oneplus 3s for the price of it. Lesson learned.
    Amazon might be your friend here. They routinely step up in favor of the customer.
    01-24-2017 08:33 PM
    Are you just as flooded that Samsung does not own up to the same issue on the S7 and some of their other phones?
    All of these manufacturers react the same way.
    Huawei has the worse customer service of all the makers. I've read a lot of horror stories on this forum and all over the net about them. Might as well buy insurance because getting them to fix anything is almost impossible. I have the Gear S2 watch, and the rubber wrist bands break on a lot of peoples watches. Anyway I called samsung to get a replacement band and man was that a big ordeal. They never did email me or call me back like they were supposed to about sending a replacement. I just gave up and ordered one for 7 bucks off Amazon. This was last May.
    01-24-2017 10:00 PM
    Huawei has the worse customer service of all the makers. I've read a lot of horror stories on this forum and all over the net about them. Might as well buy insurance because getting them to fix anything is almost impossible. I have the Gear S2 watch, and the rubber wrist bands break on a lot of peoples watches. Anyway I called samsung to get a replacement band and man was that a big ordeal. They never did email me or call me back like they were supposed to about sending a replacement. I just gave up and ordered one for 7 bucks off Amazon. This was last May.
    I luckily never had to deal with them with my 6P. I did hear some horror stories over in the 6P area when I had that phone.
    01-24-2017 11:15 PM
    I luckily never had to deal with them with my 6P. I did hear some horror stories over in the 6P area when I had that phone.
    Yea, there is even one person who had to get a lawyer involved regarding their 6P being defective and refusing to refund it or something. This is why I stick with the big name brands. Even though their support isn't very good as well.
    01-25-2017 02:58 AM
    The argument that x does it go or y is worse is a fallacy. It's the same logical fallacy that kids use to excuse texting while driving or any number of inappropriate behaviors. LG isn't responsible for Samsung or Huawei, they're responsible for LG. The existence of other offenders or even worse offenders cannot have relevance for LG and the standards they hold themselves to.
    jdfry15 and eAbyss like this.
    01-25-2017 07:10 AM
    The argument that x does it go or y is worse is a fallacy. It's the same logical fallacy that kids use to excuse texting while driving or any number of inappropriate behaviors. LG isn't responsible for Samsung or Huawei, they're responsible for LG. The existence of other offenders or even worse offenders cannot have relevance for LG and the standards they hold themselves to.
    Not denying your point in the least, but I do think it's valid to bring this up for a slightly different reason. I've seen more than my share of "My phone broke, so every phone from Brand X sucks and I'm going to Brand Y." I'm exaggerating, obviously, but that's the mentality in a lot of them. While it doesn't excuse the manufacture's lack of support in some cases, it's worth pointing out that going to a different brand isn't necessarily the solution. With today's phones, it's almost a pick your poison scenario because they all seem to have problems.
    Aquila, gregg6942 and thunder18 like this.
    01-25-2017 11:17 AM
    Not denying your point in the least, but I do think it's valid to bring this up for a slightly different reason. I've seen more than my share of "My phone broke, so every phone from Brand X sucks and I'm going to Brand Y." I'm exaggerating, obviously, but that's the mentality in a lot of them. While it doesn't excuse the manufacture's lack of support in some cases, it's worth pointing out that going to a different brand isn't necessarily the solution. With today's phones, it's almost a pick your poison scenario because they all seem to have problems.
    Agree 100% it's relevant to how we should choose OEMs but not to whether or not misdeeds are ok. Thanks for adding that!
    01-25-2017 11:20 AM
    All manufacturer warranty clauses are written with very similar language. If you are going to bash one manufacturer over not covering a claim or what you think is a defect, then you might as well bash them all because they will all act in the same manner.

The burden of proof lies with the plaintiff, which in this case is the user. So until someone can prove that this glass is cracking on its own and is defective, then LG in this case, or every other manufacturer facing the same scenario, is going to hide behind the clauses in the warranty.

Right or wrong, we accept these terms and clauses when we purchase a device.

I saw a great sticker the other day on the back of an 18 wheeler. It read:
    "Don't like trucks? Stop buying stuff. Problem solved."

Same applies with manufacturers. Don't like the way they protect their own butt, don't buy from them. But when it comes to getting a manufacturer to cover a warranty claim, they will all act the same exact way until someone can prove there is a defect. So if you are going to boycott 1 over a warranty claim, boycott them all, because they all act the same.
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-25-2017 11:53 AM
    All manufacturer warranty clauses are written with very similar language. If you are going to bash one manufacturer over not covering a claim or what you think is a defect, then you might as well bash them all because they will all act in the same manner.

The burden of proof lies with the plaintiff, which in this case is the user. So until someone can prove that this glass is cracking on its own and is defective, then LG in this case, or every other manufacturer facing the same scenario, is going to hide behind the clauses in the warranty.

Right or wrong, we accept these terms and clauses when we purchase a device.

I saw a great sticker the other day on the back of an 18 wheeler. It read:
    "Don't like trucks? Stop buying stuff. Problem solved."

Same applies with manufacturers. Don't like the way they protect their own butt, don't buy from them. But when it comes to getting a manufacturer to cover a warranty claim, they will all act the same exact way until someone can prove there is a defect. So if you are going to boycott 1 over a warranty claim, boycott them all, because they all act the same.
    No one is bashing any OEM instead of another. The others simply aren't relevant and so they're being dismissed, not excused.
    01-25-2017 12:46 PM
    No one is bashing any OEM instead of another. The others simply aren't relevant and so they're being dismissed, not excused.
    This is an industry issue not just a LG issue. Other manufacturers have acted in the exact same way in similar situations. So yes, they are relevant.
    01-25-2017 01:17 PM
    I don't know if the V20 camera glass is tempered glass, but tempered sometimes breaks without any obvious cause. It could be due to glass edge damage or surface damage from handling or from an inclusion inside the glass like a nickel sulfide stone, however this type of inclusion occurs very rarely. If you have a stone inclusion it can grow over time with temperature changes. The problem is that this rare and it is impossible to prove that it is the root cause of the breakage. If the glass is too tight inside the V20 frame it could also cause it to shatter.

More than likely most of the V20 and other phones that exhibit this problem are actually caused by the consumer without his knowledge. The giveaway in most cases is the pattern in which it breaks.

In the Jerry Rig Video he clearly caused it by stressing the glass, although it was a delayed reaction. In his particular case he took the protective plastic which made it easier to damage the glass.

I will be doing some test with a friend of mine who has access DOA phones that that have to back to the manufacturer in which we will deliberately check to see how easy they breaks by pressing a key up against it. I'm hoping to try a few phones.
    sswitzer and eAbyss like this.
    01-27-2017 01:19 PM
    Solved my problem, bought a OnePlus 3T and will be selling my LGV20 for a loss, lesson learned.
    02-26-2017 02:41 PM
    I have had my V20 for less than two months and today out of the blue I noticed that my camera screen is cracked. I went straight to Verizon and they said there is nothing they can do about it and I would have to pay a deductible of over $200 if I had insurance. WTH!!!! I am so upset. Has LG responded to any of your complaints? My phone has never been dropped and has had a protector on it since day 1. LG V20 - My Camera Glass Cracked!-4087.jpg
    03-17-2017 07:32 PM
    I have had my V20 for less than two months and today out of the blue I noticed that my camera screen is cracked. I went straight to Verizon and they said there is nothing they can do about it and I would have to pay a deductible of over $200 if I had insurance. WTH!!!! I am so upset. Has LG responded to any of your complaints? My phone has never been dropped and has had a protector on it since day 1. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4087.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	254405
    Sorry to see that. As you might have read in this and other threads, your chance of having your carrier or LG fix it for nothing is pretty well nill. I would recommend either paying LG to fix it (a couple hundred $ and no phone for a while) or purchase the repair kit for $36 ( https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3279...era-Lens-glass ) Wish there was a better solution, but at this point if you want it fixed, those are your options.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    03-17-2017 09:29 PM
    Wow, you can clearly see it cracked EVEN with the original protective plastic piece from factory. That sucks!
    03-18-2017 08:17 AM
    I found replacement glass finally it's on ebay from China ordered 5 of them cause I'm sure won't be my last break
    03-22-2017 06:00 PM
    I found replacement glass finally it's on ebay from China ordered 5 of them cause I'm sure won't be my last break
    Can you post a link to the listing?
    03-22-2017 11:06 PM
    Can you post a link to the listing?
    There are several and it's very easy to search but here's two. First one is cheaper.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BLACK-Main....c100408.m2460

http://m.ebay.com/itm/LG-V20-F800L-H...672?nav=SEARCH
    03-25-2017 09:11 PM
    Is there a how to video somewhere
    sswitzer likes this.
    03-26-2017 05:10 AM
    Is there a how to video somewhere
    Haven't seen one but I'm thinking the G5 is the same concept.
    03-26-2017 04:51 PM
    1 of the cameras on my LG V20 has ZERO and do mean ZERO glass covering it all...
    Jeremiah Bonds likes this.
    04-16-2017 03:42 PM
    04-16-2017 03:52 PM
    Just to recap the 3 most talked about occurrences of camera glass breaking that I remember on this forum:

1. JerryRigEverything: A 'reviewer' that intentionally damaged the camera glass before it cracked. Shocking result. This is the same guy that blasted Corning and Samsung over the Gorilla Glass used in the Note 7 saying it wasn't as scratch resistant as they claimed when in fact it was his hardness picks that were defective.

2. The other thread on here with the lady that pulled her phone out of her purse one day and noticed the glass broken. Turns out, as stated in a separate thread, the phone was actually dropped into the bottom of the purse with countless other things where it could have easily been damaged before cracking.

3. This thread. User admits to carrying 4 keys in same pocket with the phone. Any or all of those keys could have easily scratched the glass causing it to crack.

So we have 1 definite and intentional damage to the glass before it breaks and 2 occurrences where the probability is high that the glass was damaged in some way before it cracked.
    Exactly! I don't get the claim that there are an insane # of these.
    04-19-2017 04:18 PM
    . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4087.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	254405
    How does spontaneously cracked glass due to no fault whatsoever have an actual area of impact?
    06-15-2017 10:12 PM
78 1234