LG V20 - My Camera Glass Cracked!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
That link says people send theirs into Samsung to pay to get fixed. The glass for the Galaxy is a lot easier to find and should be able to get it fixed faster at a cell repair place.

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
My GS5 took some hits on the camera and it did not crack. I always use Otterboxes and never had any damage. It think its the materials and they know it and are playing the odds. For the cost of the phone, they really should have made the camera glass designed better. I really wish I would have dropped it so I can replace and keep the phone but this leaves a doubt as to whether its going to happen again with a new glass. Hopefully they come out with a replacement glass. The LGv20 is and easy tear down. I really don't see LG fixing this under warranty. I will update the thread on what happens and how the replacement goes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not saying it's only the V20

I'm just saying because it's slightly raised and also because it's a larger pane of class, it's more susceptible to damage compared to a smaller, recessed camera lens cover.

Well a lot of them do protrude but putting a case on gets rid of the protrusion. A lot of the ones breaking are not large panes either though I say that probably makes a difference. Also easier to hit since it's a larger target.

Infiniti14

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not saying it's only the V20

I'm just saying because it's slightly raised and also because it's a larger pane of class, it's more susceptible to damage compared to a smaller, recessed camera lens cover.

I think this is it. Consumers demand thinner more powerful devices. This means phones will be more likely to break. The reason old Nokia's and BlackBerry's seemed indestructible was because there was so much protection in the form of plastic and empty space inside.

I doubt the V20 has more issues than any other thin phone with two camera lenses. The issue is it's a niche phone and so repair parts aren't readily available.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think this is it. Consumers demand thinner more powerful devices. This means phones will be more likely to break. The reason old Nokia's and BlackBerry's seemed indestructible was because there was so much protection in the form of plastic and empty space inside.

I doubt the V20 has more issues than any other thin phone with two camera lenses. The issue is it's a niche phone and so repair parts aren't readily available.

Most phones don't have two rear cameras. The S7 glass fails and is a single camera.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I broke mine the first like 10 days I had the phone. I've become rather frustrated with there not being a replacement piece available, being a modular device you'd think someone would have come out with something by now. I got mine a few days after the US release and 3 months later nothing. I'm at the point of just saying screw waiting and sending it in for repair, even if it costs $100 or something ridiculous

Given the circumstances of how mine broke, I'm not surprised that it met its maker. It hit the ground very hard and fast.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I broke mine the first like 10 days I had the phone. I've become rather frustrated with there not being a replacement piece available, being a modular device you'd think someone would have come out with something by now. I got mine a few days after the US release and 3 months later nothing. I'm at the point of just saying screw waiting and sending it in for repair, even if it costs $100 or something ridiculous

Given the circumstances of how mine broke, I'm not surprised that it met its maker. It hit the ground very hard and fast.

What does LG say when you call

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
What does LG say when you call

The two times I've called in the past I was told that they wouldn't sell the pieces needed for the pair outright. I'd have to send the phone in for repair, wait a week or so for them to receive it and then just provide an estimate for fixing it after arrival/inspection. Ridiculous.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The two times I've called in the past I was told that they wouldn't sell the pieces needed for the pair outright. I'd have to send the phone in for repair, wait a week or so for them to receive it and then just provide an estimate for fixing it after arrival/inspection. Ridiculous.
Getting that response once would take any OEM off my list of companies I'll buy from.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Did you ask to escalate to a manager or supervisor. I had an issue with them on my G5. They sent me back my phone repaired with someone else's scuffed up module. They wanted me to send the whole thing back and I refused and asked for a supervisor. Supervisor never got on the phone and they sent me a new module.

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
So I chatted with LG today and that was a joke. They told be that it was physical damage. I could send it in and they would see if it could be fixed. So I asked for the parts and was told a third party repairs them and they don't have parts. Asked for manager and they said they don't have one. I can see this is going no place fast. Fortunately I didn't expect much .

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm somewhat flooded that they won't support their project for known issues. At minimum cover it with warranty. Are you still within your return period? If you bought through a carrier might be able to use their insurance, but this is dumb. Lg knows about this issue and should be backing it up.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
So I chatted with LG today and that was a joke. They told be that it was physical damage. I could send it in and they would see if it could be fixed. So I asked for the parts and was told a third party repairs them and they don't have parts. Asked for manager and they said they don't have one. I can see this is going no place fast. Fortunately I didn't expect much .
Wow. Hope you can sell your phone as damaged.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm somewhat flooded that they won't support their project for known issues. At minimum cover it with warranty. Are you still within your return period? If you bought through a carrier might be able to use their insurance, but this is dumb. Lg knows about this issue and should be backing it up.

Are you just as flooded that Samsung does not own up to the same issue on the S7 and some of their other phones?
All of these manufacturers react the same way.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you just as flooded that Samsung does not own up to the same issue on the S7 and some of their other phones?
So I'm definitely not Samsung's biggest fan however there ability to just swap out devices for defects is pretty famous and I haven't heard of their camera glass breaking. I've heard of the body breaking on those devices and that'd be a good reason for thinking it's kind of nuts to buy an all-glass phone

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If your argument is that it should be okay for LG to abandon their few customers for known issues because you don't like how another OEM does something I have to say that that's rubbish.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
If your argument is that it should be okay for LG to abandon their few customers for known issues because you don't like how another OEM does something I have to say that that's rubbish.
How would they be abandoning their customers when it can be sent in for repair?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How would they be abandoning their customers when it can be sent in for repair?
The way dop with describing it was if they were going to be without a phone for a while and that they were going to be charged for the repairs. This is different from LG supplying him with a new phone and then dealing with the repairs on the other one on their own time and expense. They could also a refund him for the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz