LG V20 - My Camera Glass Cracked!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
The way dop with describing it was if they were going to be without a phone for a while and that they were going to be charged for the repairs. This is different from LG supplying him with a new phone and then dealing with the repairs on the other one on their own time and expense. They could also a refund him for the phone.
That's exactly how manufacturer repairs work. Send it in, they fix it, send it back.

Until this becomes more widespread or someone with deep enough pockets gets a lawyer to force LG into action, they are going to act like any other manufacturer and consider this user damage. There is no evidence that the glass wasn't scratched or damaged in some way before cracking.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly how manufacturer repairs work. Send it in, they fix it, send it back.

Until this becomes more widespread or someone with deep enough pockets gets a lawyer to force LG into action, they are going to act like any other manufacturer and consider this user damage. There is no evidence that the glass wasn't scratched or damaged in some way before cracking.
Four known manufacturer defects they should be going above and beyond the manufacturer warranty and making sure that their customers satisfied. Especially when LG is in such a precarious position. But what matters is that this is something LG is very well aware of that they did wrong on their devices and they need to support it. That would mean replacing it with a new or refurbished device or providing the customer with the refund and not depriving them of a phone while charging them to repair something that is LG fault.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Four known manufacturer defects they should be going above and beyond the manufacturer warranty and making sure that their customers satisfied. Especially when LG is in such a precarious position. But what matters is that this is something LG is very well aware of that they did wrong on their devices and they need to support it. That would mean replacing it with a new or refurbished device or providing the customer with the refund and not depriving them of a phone while charging them to repair something that is LG fault.
Have they acknowledged this as a known manufacturing defect?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I'm definitely not Samsung's biggest fan however there ability to just swap out devices for defects is pretty famous and I haven't heard of their camera glass breaking. I've heard of the body breaking on those devices and that'd be a good reason for thinking it's kind of nuts to buy an all-glass phone

Google Samsung camera lense breaking and you might find interesting stuff.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google Samsung camera lense breaking and you might find interesting stuff.
I can do that but it still would have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not LG is handling this particular case correctly. Whether or not Samsung does a good or poor job at supporting their devices and whether or not those issues are as widespread on their devices has absolutely no bearing on LG's lack of support on this particular device. So while I can do that I don't think I'm going to because it seems like it's a waste of time in a bit of a red herring.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If your argument is that it should be okay for LG to abandon their few customers for known issues because you don't like how another OEM does something I have to say that that's rubbish.

It's not a known issue and I'm not making an argument. That's not my point at all. My point is that it's what they all do and people as of late don't do their homework before stating opinions as facts. Samsung abandoned their customers on the lense issue as well on more than one model. It is not unique for Samsung, LG or anyone else to ignore customer complaints for apparent defects or items subject to early failure where it is difficult to prove whether or not it is customer neglect.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's not a known issue? It's been around since day 1.

I love when people throw terms around and I'm not referring to specifically to you. Because some people have experienced a particular problem and discuss it online does not make it a known issue. That's simply not what a known issue is. It may be a common problem with more than one root cause and it is a well discussed issue but it is not a known issue.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
OK my mistake, it's a very common problem that has been discussed since the first phones got to reviewers and LG pretending they've never heard of it or that it is user caused is unacceptable.

kdi68

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
I really posted for information purposes so others would know and beware. I bought it from Amazon and am out of return time frame. I guess technically it is not a known issue, but it's an issue that LG should handle better then they did,or at least offer parts. Sadly I could have bought 2 Oneplus 3s for the price of it. Lesson learned.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I really posted for information purposes so others would know and beware. I bought it from Amazon and am out of return time frame. I guess technically it is not a known issue, but it's an issue that LG should handle better then they did,or at least offer parts. Sadly I could have bought 2 Oneplus 3s for the price of it. Lesson learned.
Amazon might be your friend here. They routinely step up in favor of the customer.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Are you just as flooded that Samsung does not own up to the same issue on the S7 and some of their other phones?
All of these manufacturers react the same way.

Huawei has the worse customer service of all the makers. I've read a lot of horror stories on this forum and all over the net about them. Might as well buy insurance because getting them to fix anything is almost impossible. I have the Gear S2 watch, and the rubber wrist bands break on a lot of peoples watches. Anyway I called samsung to get a replacement band and man was that a big ordeal. They never did email me or call me back like they were supposed to about sending a replacement. I just gave up and ordered one for 7 bucks off Amazon. This was last May.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Huawei has the worse customer service of all the makers. I've read a lot of horror stories on this forum and all over the net about them. Might as well buy insurance because getting them to fix anything is almost impossible. I have the Gear S2 watch, and the rubber wrist bands break on a lot of peoples watches. Anyway I called samsung to get a replacement band and man was that a big ordeal. They never did email me or call me back like they were supposed to about sending a replacement. I just gave up and ordered one for 7 bucks off Amazon. This was last May.

I luckily never had to deal with them with my 6P. I did hear some horror stories over in the 6P area when I had that phone.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I luckily never had to deal with them with my 6P. I did hear some horror stories over in the 6P area when I had that phone.

Yea, there is even one person who had to get a lawyer involved regarding their 6P being defective and refusing to refund it or something. This is why I stick with the big name brands. Even though their support isn't very good as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The argument that x does it go or y is worse is a fallacy. It's the same logical fallacy that kids use to excuse texting while driving or any number of inappropriate behaviors. LG isn't responsible for Samsung or Huawei, they're responsible for LG. The existence of other offenders or even worse offenders cannot have relevance for LG and the standards they hold themselves to.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The argument that x does it go or y is worse is a fallacy. It's the same logical fallacy that kids use to excuse texting while driving or any number of inappropriate behaviors. LG isn't responsible for Samsung or Huawei, they're responsible for LG. The existence of other offenders or even worse offenders cannot have relevance for LG and the standards they hold themselves to.
Not denying your point in the least, but I do think it's valid to bring this up for a slightly different reason. I've seen more than my share of "My phone broke, so every phone from Brand X sucks and I'm going to Brand Y." I'm exaggerating, obviously, but that's the mentality in a lot of them. While it doesn't excuse the manufacture's lack of support in some cases, it's worth pointing out that going to a different brand isn't necessarily the solution. With today's phones, it's almost a pick your poison scenario because they all seem to have problems.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not denying your point in the least, but I do think it's valid to bring this up for a slightly different reason. I've seen more than my share of "My phone broke, so every phone from Brand X sucks and I'm going to Brand Y." I'm exaggerating, obviously, but that's the mentality in a lot of them. While it doesn't excuse the manufacture's lack of support in some cases, it's worth pointing out that going to a different brand isn't necessarily the solution. With today's phones, it's almost a pick your poison scenario because they all seem to have problems.
Agree 100% it's relevant to how we should choose OEMs but not to whether or not misdeeds are ok. Thanks for adding that!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
All manufacturer warranty clauses are written with very similar language. If you are going to bash one manufacturer over not covering a claim or what you think is a defect, then you might as well bash them all because they will all act in the same manner.

The burden of proof lies with the plaintiff, which in this case is the user. So until someone can prove that this glass is cracking on its own and is defective, then LG in this case, or every other manufacturer facing the same scenario, is going to hide behind the clauses in the warranty.

Right or wrong, we accept these terms and clauses when we purchase a device.

I saw a great sticker the other day on the back of an 18 wheeler. It read:
"Don't like trucks? Stop buying stuff. Problem solved."

Same applies with manufacturers. Don't like the way they protect their own butt, don't buy from them. But when it comes to getting a manufacturer to cover a warranty claim, they will all act the same exact way until someone can prove there is a defect. So if you are going to boycott 1 over a warranty claim, boycott them all, because they all act the same.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All manufacturer warranty clauses are written with very similar language. If you are going to bash one manufacturer over not covering a claim or what you think is a defect, then you might as well bash them all because they will all act in the same manner.

The burden of proof lies with the plaintiff, which in this case is the user. So until someone can prove that this glass is cracking on its own and is defective, then LG in this case, or every other manufacturer facing the same scenario, is going to hide behind the clauses in the warranty.

Right or wrong, we accept these terms and clauses when we purchase a device.

I saw a great sticker the other day on the back of an 18 wheeler. It read:
"Don't like trucks? Stop buying stuff. Problem solved."

Same applies with manufacturers. Don't like the way they protect their own butt, don't buy from them. But when it comes to getting a manufacturer to cover a warranty claim, they will all act the same exact way until someone can prove there is a defect. So if you are going to boycott 1 over a warranty claim, boycott them all, because they all act the same.
No one is bashing any OEM instead of another. The others simply aren't relevant and so they're being dismissed, not excused.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463