LG V20 - My Camera Glass Cracked!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
No one is bashing any OEM instead of another. The others simply aren't relevant and so they're being dismissed, not excused.
This is an industry issue not just a LG issue. Other manufacturers have acted in the exact same way in similar situations. So yes, they are relevant.

Vforce7

Banned
Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if the V20 camera glass is tempered glass, but tempered sometimes breaks without any obvious cause. It could be due to glass edge damage or surface damage from handling or from an inclusion inside the glass like a nickel sulfide stone, however this type of inclusion occurs very rarely. If you have a stone inclusion it can grow over time with temperature changes. The problem is that this rare and it is impossible to prove that it is the root cause of the breakage. If the glass is too tight inside the V20 frame it could also cause it to shatter.

More than likely most of the V20 and other phones that exhibit this problem are actually caused by the consumer without his knowledge. The giveaway in most cases is the pattern in which it breaks.

In the Jerry Rig Video he clearly caused it by stressing the glass, although it was a delayed reaction. In his particular case he took the protective plastic which made it easier to damage the glass.

I will be doing some test with a friend of mine who has access DOA phones that that have to back to the manufacturer in which we will deliberately check to see how easy they breaks by pressing a key up against it. I'm hoping to try a few phones.

Last edited:

Angela32073

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
I have had my V20 for less than two months and today out of the blue I noticed that my camera screen is cracked. I went straight to Verizon and they said there is nothing they can do about it and I would have to pay a deductible of over $200 if I had insurance. WTH!!!! I am so upset. Has LG responded to any of your complaints? My phone has never been dropped and has had a protector on it since day 1. 4087.jpg

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I have had my V20 for less than two months and today out of the blue I noticed that my camera screen is cracked. I went straight to Verizon and they said there is nothing they can do about it and I would have to pay a deductible of over $200 if I had insurance. WTH!!!! I am so upset. Has LG responded to any of your complaints? My phone has never been dropped and has had a protector on it since day 1. View attachment 254405
Sorry to see that. As you might have read in this and other threads, your chance of having your carrier or LG fix it for nothing is pretty well nill. I would recommend either paying LG to fix it (a couple hundred $ and no phone for a while) or purchase the repair kit for $36 ( https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/327...Buzzer-Original-Replacement-Camera-Lens-glass ) Wish there was a better solution, but at this point if you want it fixed, those are your options.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Just to recap the 3 most talked about occurrences of camera glass breaking that I remember on this forum:

1. JerryRigEverything: A 'reviewer' that intentionally damaged the camera glass before it cracked. Shocking result. This is the same guy that blasted Corning and Samsung over the Gorilla Glass used in the Note 7 saying it wasn't as scratch resistant as they claimed when in fact it was his hardness picks that were defective.

2. The other thread on here with the lady that pulled her phone out of her purse one day and noticed the glass broken. Turns out, as stated in a separate thread, the phone was actually dropped into the bottom of the purse with countless other things where it could have easily been damaged before cracking.

3. This thread. User admits to carrying 4 keys in same pocket with the phone. Any or all of those keys could have easily scratched the glass causing it to crack.

So we have 1 definite and intentional damage to the glass before it breaks and 2 occurrences where the probability is high that the glass was damaged in some way before it cracked.

Exactly! I don't get the claim that there are an insane # of these.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How does spontaneously cracked glass due to no fault whatsoever have an actual area of impact?

A defect during the manufacturing process of tempered glass Internal such as a nickel sulfide inclusion could cause spontaneous breakage which would spiral outward from the inclusion creating what looks like a point of impact. The one in the image provided looks more severe than breakage from an inclusion as do all of the ones I've seen.

dbpaddler

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Because the manufacturing of glass is such a new and difficult process that one is to believe a more complicated reason for failure instead of the more obvious that the glass is just cheap. Occam's razor is a term for a reason. And if it truly was "defective" glass it would most likely affect an entire lot where you'd see quite a few more complaints than just the handful that have been reported. On top of the fact that quite a few have rather suspect stories to boot.

Don't think we have glass gate here. But have fun selling it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because the manufacturing of glass is such a new and difficult process that one is to believe a more complicated reason for failure instead of the more obvious that the glass is just cheap. Occam's razor is a term for a reason. And if it truly was "defective" glass it would most likely affect an entire lot where you'd see quite a few more complaints than just the handful that have been reported. On top of the fact that quite a few have rather suspect stories to boot.

Don't think we have glass gate here. But have fun selling it.

I don't think it is defective .. At least from the posts I have seen. Most of the posts have a point of impact so even if the person didn't know .. their phone somehow had some impact on that point and shattered it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1