Today I started noticing a microphone at the top of my phone in the notification bar, it was asking me to set up voice controls (I already have "OK Google" set up) I finally followed through trying to get it out of my notification bar and now when I say " OK GOOGLE " Assistant turns on a she starts talking to me. Has this happened for anyone else?

If this is old news I'm sorry I haven't been in the forums in quite a while
    01-21-2017 12:22 AM
    This is the first I've seen of this. Which carrier are you on? On a side note, i recently read an article that said the g6 is supposed to come with assistant baked in, so maybe this is something LG is planning on doing now.
    01-21-2017 11:26 AM
    This is quite weird. This could be quite nice if it works on all of the V20's.
    01-21-2017 11:50 AM
    It'd be awesome if they do bring it to the v20
    01-21-2017 12:30 PM
    Today I started noticing a microphone at the top of my phone in the notification bar, it was asking me to set up voice controls (I already have "OK Google" set up) I finally followed through trying to get it out of my notification bar and now when I say " OK GOOGLE " Assistant turns on a she starts talking to me. Has this happened for anyone else? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b78cf66ec1.jpg

If this is old news I'm sorry I haven't been in the forums in quite a while
    Are you stock?
    01-21-2017 01:12 PM
    Very good question, I am not stock but I am also only on a very lightly modded rom. I was actually thinking the same thing when it randomly turned on but the rom I'm using doesn't have any changes to the build.prop nor have I downloaded anything to make it work. I guess it's possible that the rom is causing it. I had been running the rom for over a month with standard Google Now and then just yesterday received the notification to turn on voice controls which happened to turn on Assistant.
    01-21-2017 09:16 PM
    Very good question, I am not stock but I am also only on a very lightly modded rom. I was actually thinking the same thing when it randomly turned on but the rom I'm using doesn't have any changes to the build.prop nor have I downloaded anything to make it work. I guess it's possible that the rom is causing it. I had been running the rom for over a month with standard Google Now and then just yesterday received the notification to turn on voice controls which happened to turn on Assistant.
    I'm curious, I'm still stock and I haven't seen it.
    01-21-2017 09:34 PM
    Sorry about all this, I think it may actually be the rom but Idk because it doesn't say anything about a build.prop change and I didn't install or change anything myself. If I go into Assistant settings the verbiage makes me believe it thinks my phone is a Pixel. Didn't mean to get peoples hopes up but since I hadn't changed anything I was thinking maybe Google flipped the Assistant switch. I hadn't been in the forums in a bit and when I started looking around I saw no references to Assistant so I figured I'd ask.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    01-21-2017 09:37 PM
    It's just a line or two in the build.prop to get assistant working. If your phone thinks it's a Pixel, you definitely have build.prop changes. There's a kernel with assistant baked in as well.

Which ROM are you running? NATF, NotSoStock, WETA?
    01-21-2017 10:59 PM
    A recent change no longer requires the change of a device's build.prop to enable Assistant. However, one needs a flashable zip.

This does mean that the Assistant will be coming to all compatible Androids in the future, especially since the NVIDIA Shield already has it.

It's no longer a matter of "if" but a matter of "when" at this point.

My old One M7 and Redmi Note already have Assistant as part of their custom ROMs, and neither have their build.prop edited aside from the M7, though only for the on-screen keys since the ROM also has the Pixel animations.
    01-22-2017 10:18 AM
    Google assistant was always a matter of when and not if. Google wouldn't be able to keep it exclusive to Pixel line forever if they wanted to compete for data mining with other services.
    01-22-2017 10:54 AM
    Google assistant was always a matter of when and not if. Google wouldn't be able to keep it exclusive to Pixel line forever if they wanted to compete for data mining with other services.
    Probably means it's coming sooner rather than later
    01-22-2017 11:05 AM
    Probably means it's coming sooner rather than later
    Of course...'Bixby' is on the horizon
    01-22-2017 11:16 AM