08-11-2018 06:00 PM
48 12
tools
    So... basically I can still open/unlock the phone with the fingerprint scanner, but the button itself does not work. It just happened out of nowhere. One second it worked, the next, it didn't. I can't do a reboot/restart/safe mode/etc because I CANNOT press the button. I even tried the volume down/power combo and held it for like five minutes and it did not do a damn thing. My fiance suggested that I let it die and plug it in to charge for it to turn back on (but you need to press the button before it will turn on, even if it is plugged in, so that's no use). I could always take my battery out... but then I can't turn it back on without the button. I can't use any of the reboot apps on the Google Play store because they all require me to root my phone (and I'm not about to do that because I'd lose my warranty on a chance that it might not even make a difference). I'm either about to reset the whole entire freakin thing and lose all of my content or take my frustration out at the poor kid working at the AT&T store. This was the nicest phone I've ever used, I've had it since the day it released three months ago and I have not had ONE problem with it before today. I'm super aggravated and I'm desperately begging for help. WHAT DO I DO?
    silverfang77 likes this.
    01-27-2017 12:35 PM
    Mine stopped, I pulled the battery, reset it and worked again. Worked for me anyways?.
    01-27-2017 12:49 PM
    If it's software related a battery pull should work. If it's hardware then it doesn't matter much so you might as well pull it.
    01-27-2017 12:51 PM
    I said my button doesn't work, so how would taking the battery out help me at ALL?

and I ended up doing a hard factory reset. I lost everything, but at least it works.
    01-27-2017 01:59 PM
    I said my button doesn't work, so how would taking the battery out help me at ALL?
    Software glitches can cause some weird symptoms sometimes. I had one on a prior phone that caused the ear speaker to crackle like it was blown. My power button stopped working a couple times on the V20 and a battery pull fixed it too.
    01-27-2017 02:23 PM
    That happened to mine late last night.. but it works today
    01-27-2017 02:38 PM

and I ended up doing a hard factory reset. I lost everything, but at least it works.
    you don't have anything backed up on Google?
    Wilson Nightstand likes this.
    01-27-2017 02:38 PM

Because maybe the phone got hung up and just needed a reboot which could have cleared it. Draining the battery also would have achieved the same thing. You might have been able to avoid the factory reset.
    01-27-2017 04:21 PM
    Possibly a software glitch or a 3rd party app that may have caused that? Never had any issues with the power button, and I use it often to take screen shots.
    01-27-2017 04:56 PM
    I had this happen a couple of days ago, and taking the battery out fixed it. Pretty darned sure it's just a software glitch, and since we're just seeing it now it's likely from an app update. Is everyone who had it happen using Nova?
    silverfang77 likes this.
    01-27-2017 09:05 PM
    ...and since we're just seeing it now it's likely from an app update. Is everyone who had it happen using Nova?
    The last time it happened to me was about a month ago at least

I'm also not using Nova. I'm using Next 3D.
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-27-2017 09:14 PM
    The last time it happened to me was about a month ago at least

I'm also not using Nova. I'm using Next 3D.
    Ok - so it's not a recent thing. No problem, then. Just count it as software glitch easily fixed by removing the battery.
    01-27-2017 09:47 PM
    So... basically I can still open/unlock the phone with the fingerprint scanner, but the button itself does not work. It just happened out of nowhere. One second it worked, the next, it didn't. I can't do a reboot/restart/safe mode/etc because I CANNOT press the button. I even tried the volume down/power combo and held it for like five minutes and it did not do a damn thing. My fiance suggested that I let it die and plug it in to charge for it to turn back on (but you need to press the button before it will turn on, even if it is plugged in, so that's no use). I could always take my battery out... but then I can't turn it back on without the button. I can't use any of the reboot apps on the Google Play store because they all require me to root my phone (and I'm not about to do that because I'd lose my warranty on a chance that it might not even make a difference). I'm either about to reset the whole entire freakin thing and lose all of my content or take my frustration out at the poor kid working at the AT&T store. This was the nicest phone I've ever used, I've had it since the day it released three months ago and I have not had ONE problem with it before today. I'm super aggravated and I'm desperately begging for help. WHAT DO I DO?
    When a phone glitches the best thing to do is try to reset it. If you're going to have to take it to the store anyway u might as well try that.
    01-28-2017 09:47 AM
    This is probably why iPhones immediately boot when they have enough power and are plugged in. So if the power button breaks u can still turn it on.
    sicario666 likes this.
    01-28-2017 09:48 AM
    Ok - so it's not a recent thing. No problem, then. Just count it as software glitch easily fixed by removing the battery.
    Something you can't do with a sealed phone
    sswitzer and Brent Michael like this.
    01-28-2017 11:57 AM
    This is probably why iPhones immediately boot when they have enough power and are plugged in. So if the power button breaks u can still turn it on.
    The iPhone 5 & 6 series have issues with their power button
    01-28-2017 11:59 AM
    I hate the button in the 7 series
    01-29-2017 10:55 AM
    Same thing happened to me - only once - several weeks ago. Pulled the battery and replaced and all has worked fine since then.

Like others have suggested, it is probably a (one time) software glitch that is resolved with a battery pull.

David
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-29-2017 11:00 AM
    Possibly a software glitch or a 3rd party app that may have caused that? Never had any issues with the power button, and I use it often to take screen shots.
    Thank you! Thanks to this I just figured out how to take a screen shot.. I've been using the quick capture tool on the second screen
    01-29-2017 01:09 PM
    True but it can be frustrating as well. My wife is constantly using her iPhone until it dies and sometimes just wants to plug it in and let it charge without it turning on so it'll get a little more charge in the same amount of time but the phone just turns on at about 5% so she has to go physically turn it off again. She, and myself actually, also don't like how you can't see a charge percentage when its off like you can with an Android phone.
    01-29-2017 01:15 PM
    It happened to me last night again. Weird.
    01-29-2017 01:33 PM
    It happened to me last night again. Weird.
    Any thoughts/suspicions about what triggered it?
    01-29-2017 01:48 PM
    Any thoughts/suspicions about what triggered it?
    Nope it was just random when I laid down last night.. So I yanked the battery and it worked again
    sswitzer likes this.
    01-29-2017 02:32 PM
    My power button just stopped working while my phone was on, I took a screenshot and now it's working fine, crazy
    02-27-2017 02:32 AM
    My power button just stopped working while my phone was on, I took a screenshot and now it's working fine, crazy
    It happened to me again the other day after the volume slider pop-up somehow got stuck on screen with equally odd results. When i first got the slider pop-up to go away, the power button stopped working. I used the volume buttons again, which only temporarily showed the pop-up as normal, then the power button worked again without needing a battery pull.
    Mighty_Michelle likes this.
    02-27-2017 04:00 AM
48 12