Android Authority: LG G6 to have better Audio thanks to upgraded Quad DAC.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Dont believe the hype. The idea is to get you to upgrade. The changes are minimal and the human ear won't hear the difference. When dogs carry cell phones, the improvement may mean something.

+1 to "don't believe the hype." The way the article reads it's hard to tell whether the reference to improved audio performance is from the G5 to the G6 or better than the V20. The reference to being able to control the left and right channel already exists on the V20 (and did on the V10 too). As pointed out in the article you won't be able to hear the improvement in distortion. The only improvement that might help in some specialized applications is improved processing speed but for the way I use the DAC, I doubt I will experience any improvement.

The upside is LG seems to be supporting the headphone jack when the industry seems to be moving away from it, though it is not for sure. LG could pump the DAC audio output through the USB-C connector. There are high-end external DAC's that use USB.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
i doubt 99% of people will be able to tell the difference. V20 is already quiet good compared to most phones.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
By making it non removable?
Not for me..... But for those that like sealed units with waterproofing and want the battery to last all day long they can buy two G6s
I'm OK with both. Just asking for more juice if they can.

I tested the Huawei Mate 9 and screen on time was 6 hours ++.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I'd prefer a better speaker. The V20 isn't as loud as my wife's S7 (mine was at full volume on Pandora, and still heard her S7 better in the next room on her Pandora station), and I think even quieter than the G4. Ideally a good set of front facing stereo speakers would be best, of course.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I'd prefer a better speaker. The V20 isn't as loud as my wife's S7 (mine was at full volume on Pandora, and still heard her S7 better in the next room on her Pandora station), and I think even quieter than the G4. Ideally a good set of front facing stereo speakers would be best, of course.
You could try removing the speaker grill.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/v20/how-to/hardware-mod-v20-speaker-guide-t3554452/page2

A couple users in that thread report better clarity and increased volume.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Dual speakers would be a nice touch. Surprised though that you don't feel the volume is loud enough on the V20.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Dual speakers would be a nice touch. Surprised though that you don't feel the volume is loud enough on the V20.
My phone before the V20 was a HTC One M8 with dual front facing speakers. That phone was louder than the V20. Front facing speakers are always a better idea than a bottom one. Still the V20 is loud but not very loud. The HTC M8 spoiled my ears.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My phone before the V20 was a HTC One M8 with dual front facing speakers. That phone was louder than the V20. Front facing speakers are always a better idea than a bottom one. Still the V20 is loud but not very loud. The HTC M8 spoiled my ears.
I tend to use my phone speaker only for phone calls or to take a listen here or there.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Dont believe the hype. The idea is to get you to upgrade. The changes are minimal and the human ear won't hear the difference. When dogs carry cell phones, the improvement may mean something.

LMAO! Or wait, I mean LMBO. I don't want to suggest a naughty word. ;)

Seriously, I need to NOT read about new phones until I'm ready to upgrade. I'm lucky to get 6 months out of a phone these days. I'm dreading the release of the S8. Lol I'd really like to try to get a year out of the V20 but I just love getting new phones.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The V20 is plenty loud most of the time. In fact, I normally keep it down in the middle range when I'm listening while holding it (gaming, videos, etc.). My issue was that the one time I did have it at full volume because it wasn't right next to me and it was drowned out by an S7 in another room. I expected it to be on par at the very least, so I was a bit humbled by it.

I may look into that grill removal tip, but I'd be concerned about debris getting in due to my work environment.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The V20 is plenty loud most of the time. In fact, I normally keep it down in the middle range when I'm listening while holding it (gaming, videos, etc.). My issue was that the one time I did have it at full volume because it wasn't right next to me and it was drowned out by an S7 in another room. I expected it to be on par at the very least, so I was a bit humbled by it.

I may look into that grill removal tip, but I'd be concerned about debris getting in due to my work environment.
I would not remove the grill