Hey guys. So far I'm loving the V20 still after it's release. I'm using the headphone jack everyday, and the QUAD DAC sounds amazing! (Try plugging it in into studio monitors, music sounds 3D!). However, my concern is overtime, the headphone jack may wear out from repeated use. I had a minor issue with a Galaxy S3 headphone jack being loose in the past. I'm not too worried but it's a possibility. You guys have any insight on this?
    02-28-2017 03:59 PM
    Every smartphone headphone jack is basically a physical switch, where the plug end on your earbud/headphone pushes a spring-loaded metal contact aside so in while in it's default position the audio signal gets sent to your phone's speaker but with the plug in place the audio signal is re-directed to earbud/headphone. Better explanations and images here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
    So yeah, being a mechanically moving, metal assembly there's going to be an eventual failure but it shouldn't be an actual problem until well after your phone has aged enough that it's just too obsolete to be useful anyway. Of course the key word is 'shouldn't' -- any moving part can fail earlier than expected and there's always the added issue where dirt and/or pocket lint just create their own problems (headphone jack openings being so small it's hard to keep them clean inside).
    Anyway, the V20 headphone jack isn't directly soldered to the mobo like some other phones, it if does become problematic replacing it isn't a really quick fix but it isn't that bad either, ifixit has a nice guide on this:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/LG+V20+...lacement/76507
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-28-2017 04:58 PM
    Not trying to be too funny but that's like asking how long will a bottle of vodka last. Depends on the consumer. I can't think of anything I've ever had with a bad headphone jack but it could loosen up over time.
    02-28-2017 05:15 PM
    I use the headphone jack almost daily since I drive for a living and use it to pipe into the stereo. Never have I had a jack loosen up over time, including the LG G4. I don't see the V20 being any different. The worst I've had is having to dig the occasional pocket lint out of the jack.
    02-28-2017 07:58 PM
    I've only once had a headphone jack failure and it was on an old ipod video. Honestly I only think it happened was because I walked away with out picking up the ipod and it was attached to headphones that had a cord like a corded home phone and it stretched about 10 feet, maybe more, before violently yanking the ipod from where it was.. ๐ŸŽ replaced it though no questions.
    02-28-2017 08:32 PM
    It should be fine as long as you are reasonably careful with it. I am 46, and have had 1/8 TRS jacks in all sorts of electronic devices over the decades. I have NEVER had one fail, even with careless - abusive negligence. The TRS plug and stain relief however... thats another story.
    02-28-2017 08:55 PM
    I've only once had a headphone jack failure and it was on an old ipod video. Honestly I only think it happened was because I walked away with out picking up the ipod and it was attached to headphones that had a cord like a corded home phone and it stretched about 10 feet, maybe more, before violently yanking the ipod from where it was.. ๐ŸŽ replaced it though no questions.
    My headphones got caught a few times due to the length of the wire. One of the reasons why I mentioned this post! ๐Ÿ˜ฃ
    02-28-2017 10:53 PM