Aren't you glad you got the V20?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Manufactures are giving us features, yet they end up taking them away. For example, Samsung: removed the SD card, sealed the battery, took out the IR blaster, reduced megapixels to 12 from 16. Now LG G6: sealing batteries, no quad DAC, no LED indicator, went from 16MP to 13MP. Really glad I went back to removable batteries, though they aren't necessary right now, further down the road it will help (batteries stop holding a good charge after several months). Let's hope LG keeps the removable battery feature for the V series. I don't need a waterproof phone, if I go hiking, I put it in a waterproof bag that costs me 10 bucks on Amazon. You can't even expose a waterproof phone to salt water anyway so there's no point for me (I go hiking and to the beach often).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
In the end you have be thankful that there are some manufacturers that dare to be different. LG doesn't always do the right thing in the eyes if the market place, however its s good thing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Manufactures are giving us features, yet they end up taking them away. For example, Samsung: removed the SD card, sealed the battery, took out the IR blaster, reduced megapixels to 12 from 16. Now LG G6: sealing batteries, no quad DAC, no LED indicator, went from 16MP to 13MP. Really glad I went back to removable batteries, though they aren't necessary right now, further down the road it will help (batteries stop holding a good charge after several months). Let's hope LG keeps the removable battery feature for the V series. I don't need a waterproof phone, if I go hiking, I put it in a waterproof bag that costs me 10 bucks on Amazon. You can't even expose a waterproof phone to salt water anyway so there's no point for me (I go hiking and to the beach often).

The S7/S7 Edge has SD card slots so I don't get the SD card part :p.

Chris Dontworryaboutit

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I got mine with my sister two weeks before T-Mobile had their crazy sale and I'm still completely happy with the phone. I had a V10 before this and I never thought there was anything wrong with it besides the mediocre battery life. Within a few days of using this I was amazed how much better everything is. Maybe a lot of it is nougat but the battery is so much better. The only negative for me is because of the price of this device I'm a little paranoid about taking it out of my pocket when outdoors but feeling less of that every day.

estebanlrog

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
Had a LG V10 and almost hesitated getting the V20 when TMO had the price at 360 (which I combo with the TMO lg mini projector with proof of purchase!!!!) I did it and man this feels so nice and it works like a polished product. Where for me the V10 felt more like a prototype. Lots of glitches especially with messaging and pulling my face away from fon screen woukld stay dark. Battery lasts longer and quick charge 3.0 is the shizz!!

jcwolf

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Very nice phone! I'm glad I took the leap and bought it when I did, $360 for a phone this smooth!!!! Nougat can actually run and not kill my battery, nexus 5x sucks!

Love the screen, bigger than I'm used to, but liking it very much. The entire phone is buttery smooth and someone said polished, excellent description. Very glad I jumped!!

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly kind of wish I went with the Moto Z Play or Z Force. Those phones are really appealing to me. The V20 is good, though, except for the too often laggy moments I sometimes have and battery life isn't terrible thanks to it being removable. I think the screen is just a tad bit too big. Thought I'd like 5.7", but LG was right when they said 5.5" was the sweet spot.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly kind of wish I went with the Moto Z Play or Z Force. Those phones are really appealing to me. The V20 is good, though, except for the too often laggy moments I sometimes have and battery life isn't terrible thanks to it being removable. I think the screen is just a tad bit too big. Thought I'd like 5.7", but LG was right when they said 5.5" was the sweet spot.

I thought about that Z force prior to its release,however I don't care for the whole MOD thing. I also didn't want that shattershiwld because it's easily scratched. Yeah its replaceable or you can cover it but it just didn't fly for me. Thank heavens we have options.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
This is my first BIG phone. My hands are not very large and I was worried about dropping it. The phone barely fits into my pants front pocket too. It took me 2 months after it came out to buy it because of the size. So far, no drops. A 5'5 phone with all of the features the V20 has would be better for me but I enjoy this phone and amazing battery life more than any other cell phone that I've had since 1997. It is known as a phablet and when I take it out, some people who don't have large phones look at it weird due to the size. Although I have an extra battery, I have not used it and rarely carry it around. For the first time in my life, I can go out for 6-8 hours and not need to look for a place to plug in or use my portable battery charger. If this is due to Nougat, then count me in as a Nougat fan.

My service is on AT&T. At the store, they told me they sold very few V20s. Most people are so brain-washed for Apple and Samsung that they don't even consider LG smart phones. Clever marketing is not a LG strength. In a way, this makes me glad because I don't like being a product follower or falling for marketing crap. My last phone was a HTC because of this rebel trait that I have :)

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I went from a Moto Z Force to the LG V20. Even though it is only .2 inches, the screen seems much bigger on the V20, which I like.

and everytime I go back to a Moto, i love how fast it is, but then I miss the cool stuff that other companies like LG and Sammy do. Like I love the Samsung Keyboard and Calendar, but I love the LG QuickCapture+, and smart settings are cool, and the LG Calendar is a close second.

and yes you can replicate a lot of that by adding apps to the Moto, but then you are just bogging it down with multiple apps, and then they never seem to do it as nice as Sammy or LG

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Now LG G6: sealing batteries, no quad DAC, no LED indicator, went from 16MP to 13MP.

I too am staying with the LG V20 instead of getting the G6, but I keep seeing this posted about the LED indicator.

The V20 doesn't have that right? I know Sammy does, but did LG ever have it?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The V20 doesn't have that right? I know Sammy does, but did LG ever have it?

The V20 doesn't have an LED indicator because the secondary display shows notification icons, but yes their G line of phones had it. Well, I know for sure the G4 did because I had one, so I'm guessing the others did too.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The V20 doesn't have an LED indicator because the secondary display shows notification icons, but yes their G line of phones had it. Well, I know for sure the G4 did because I had one, so I'm guessing the others did too.

ok thanks, all I had was the V10 and V20. I briefly had a G2, but like for a week, so I dont remember much about it

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought about that Z force prior to its release,however I don't care for the whole MOD thing. I also didn't want that shattershiwld because it's easily scratched. Yeah its replaceable or you can cover it but it just didn't fly for me. Thank heavens we have options.

I ruled out the Z and the Z Force almost immediately. The placement of the logo made the bottom bezel unnecessarily large, unlike the Z Play. A lot of the mods are gimmicky, but the only one I had my sights set on was the battery mod with wireless charging. It's perfect. The sound mod would have been great for the party I was at on Saturday. And if you're a gamer, they finally have a game pad mod! What's not to like?

And with LG taking things out of their new phones, we might soon find ourselves out of options... Hoping the V30 keeps everything we like, but slims the bezels like the G6. I'd love the V20 more if it was smaller (and less laggy)

I went from a Moto Z Force to the LG V20. Even though it is only .2 inches, the screen seems much bigger on the V20, which I like.

and everytime I go back to a Moto, i love how fast it is, but then I miss the cool stuff that other companies like LG and Sammy do. Like I love the Samsung Keyboard and Calendar, but I love the LG QuickCapture+, and smart settings are cool, and the LG Calendar is a close second.

and yes you can replicate a lot of that by adding apps to the Moto, but then you are just bogging it down with multiple apps, and then they never seem to do it as nice as Sammy or LG

It does seem like you see a lot more with the V20 even though its screen is barely bigger, but the top of the screen is too hard to reach if you use your phone primarily one handed like I do and the 2nd screen is impossible to reach without a second hand or some Olympic level hand gymnastics.

As for the software, I hate how laggy this phone (and every single LG phone I've owned) can get so I'm interested in giving Moto a try. For software features, the only things I'd miss is theming and being able to add a fourth button (notifications pull down) to my nav bar. I use SwiftKey so no stock keyboard will ever do it for me. LG calendar actually is great, but I've found DigiCal to be similar and better. Capture+ has only been useful for me because it's so difficult taking screen shots on the V20. Smart Settings is terrible if you knew any better. I've disabled it on all my recent LG phones

I wanna love the second screen, but it's a long way from being great. There is more bad than good so it makes me wonder how much the people at LG actually used it because I can think of numerous ways to make it better. I don't mind having it there for a few functions, but I won't miss it when it's gone. I do like that it makes the phone taller, though, because it makes the phone feel more natural to use when making calls.

That's a poor excuse to not have the LED indicator. The LED indicator is there to get your attention when you have notifications. The second screen on the V20 does not grab your attention at all. You'd have to be staring at it to know that you received a notification or that you have one waiting. When the screen is off, I feel like the only thing the second screen gets right is showing you the time.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hell yeah I'm glad!! I was actually going to wait for a device this year with nice/good specs that preferably had an Amoled screen. I'm now mainly looking forward to the Note and LG V series or any Chinese co. that has close/similar specs to most high end devices. They're making some very nice phones!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The thing I would miss in G6 is led indicator. Is it official that it is gone?

I love my V20 but really miss led indicator. Almost All notifications in second screen are white and easy to miss at any distance. I would love an app that worked like an rgb indicator displaying a different color in second screen for each app notification I choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol