Google assistant

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the replaced the icon interface of On Tap with a more intelligent voice based system. But there will be some stuff added back in as time goes.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
So does it recognize numbers and addresses on screen? What about selecting what you want it to analyze?
It does recognise stuff (I use it for spotify info).. just scroll down past the assistant thingy. Not sure about addresses, etc.

I haven't figured out if it can do the "select stuff to analyze" functionality.

SolarWinds

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my LG G4, and my only complaint is the speed on opening, as it still has the OnTap scan animation before opening. Assistant itself is great, however, especially when paired with IFTTT.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just realized I have it, and I hate it. All I want to use it for is voice dialing (and only because LG didn't include an OEM voice dial app), and now I have to hit the headset button and say the command twice to get it to call.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my LG G4, and my only complaint is the speed on opening, as it still has the OnTap scan animation before opening.

Do you have the newer UI, the one with the 'what's on my screen?' button? Because that is actually quick.. hit that as soon as GA launches and you start to get results quite fast.
07163e2f874630056e2119005caa7902.jpg

SolarWinds

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, when I open it once, it does the animation. If I close it and then reopen right after, it goes straight to assistant. Looks like a ram thing.

Last edited:

SolarWinds

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I think it's just buggy at times.

Well, at any rate, when it first became available, it consistently took upwards of 2-3 seconds to fully come up. Now it's 1-2 when it does the animation and less than 1 when it doesn't. An upgrade is an upgrade, even if inconsistent, I suppose.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, at any rate, when it first became available, it consistently took upwards of 2-3 seconds to fully come up. Now it's 1-2 when it does the animation and less than 1 when it doesn't. An upgrade is an upgrade, even if inconsistent, I suppose.

Oh, they have made a lot of progress on it since it launched. The speed improvements are noticeable, most definitely. Along with the screen search and screenshot enhancements (they weren't there to start with). There's other stuff already in the works, like more direct text input.

I'm 100% confident that we'll keep seeing enhancements like this on a fairly regular basis... just takes a little bit of time. Google Now was really handcuffed when it first became available... G-Board (ne Google Keyboard), Photos, etc... That's how Google rolls. Release a new feature, build it up over time.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I accidentally updated Google and now I'm sick with assistant. 4 times today I needed to use the text select tool and it's not there. Is there any way to downgrade this app back?

Not easily. And it involves forcing google services to be held back, which is usually a recipe for disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz