How do you clean your V20

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Big phone, big screen, lots of oily hands and food mixed together means a dirty screen and phone/case. I usually clean it every night. I mix a tiny drop of coconut shampoo and mostly water into a spray bottle, spray onto a microfiber cloth, and clean the glass screen protector I have on it and my case. I'm afraid of the paint coating on the chin may wear down overtime from cleaning. How do you guys and gals safely clean your phone?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just wipe my screen on my shirt or pants when it gets too oily. Occasionally I'll lick my thumb and use it to scrub off a pesky dirty spot.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just wipe my bare-naked V20 with a "Kleenex" daily with NO spray cleaners ever.
If you ever saw where I lay down my phone from time to time and/or my hands for that matter.....trust me.... You'd use some type of cleaner/disinfectant! Only time a use special cleaner and microfiber is on my 65 inch 4k tv.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes i use some Whoosh for that extra clean and antibacterial feeling. Normally though, i just use my shirt to clean some excess fingerprint oils. Phones are meant to look at little dirty. :) We use them all day everyday. I sometimes use the Micro fiber cloth i got with my laptop. Works quite well.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If you ever saw where I lay down my phone from time to time and/or my hands for that matter.....trust me.... You'd use some type of cleaner/disinfectant! Only time a use special cleaner and microfiber is on my 65 inch 4k tv.

I don't lay my phones down ever when I'm in the field. But the homes my clients live in are so gross sometimes I disinfect it anyway. I use a microfiber cloth and monster electronic cleaner. The bottle has lasted forever and it's amazing. Not sure if they sell it still as I bought it when I worked at Circuit City like 15-17 years ago. Just doesn't die. Lol

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think alcohol is good for the screen coating

i have been using these forever, and never thought about it. then your comment freaked me out, so I googled it. Zeiss website says they are ok:

https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/e...s-brand-products/lens-cleaning-solutions.html

hese harmless agents are free from aggressive cleaning substances and artificial fragrances. And the best thing is that the ZEISS lens cleaning wipes can also be used for cleaning all types of sensitive optical surfaces (e. g. LCD displays, smartphones, tablet PCs, laptops, mobile phones etc.) easily and with no streaks.

and I have no idea how legit this site is, but it specifically mentions Zeiss:

https://theinformr.com/features/how-to-clean-phone-tablet/

eiss makes single use wipes that are safe for all exterior parts of your phone. Wireless Wipes are yet another option. They are pre-moistened, single-use towelettes that are safe for your phone’s screen, are antibacterial and also disinfect.

then Android Authority says using alcohol is "ok sometimes" which isn't very clear:

How to safely clean your Android smartphones and tablets

In fact, I like using alcohol wipes for those times when I really want to deep clean my gadgets. These are dirt cheap and also happen to leave no lint or particles (at least it hasn’t for me). A pack of 100 wipes from Zeiss is only $10.60 from Amazon. These are made for lenses, computers, glasses and devices, so you should be relatively safe. I would just make sure not to use them when they are too damp. Let the towel dry out for a bit and then get going.

so it seems ok, but no one really gives a reason why it is ok

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
i have been using these forever, and never thought about it. then your comment freaked me out, so I googled it. Zeiss website says they are ok:

https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/e...s-brand-products/lens-cleaning-solutions.html

and I have no idea how legit this site is, but it specifically mentions Zeiss:

https://theinformr.com/features/how-to-clean-phone-tablet/

then Android Authority says using alcohol is "ok sometimes" which isn't very clear:

How to safely clean your Android smartphones and tablets

so it seems ok, but no one really gives a reason why it is ok
I will look into it. I thought it affected the oleophobic coating.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You guys don't care about germs? lol I'm sure you shake people's hands, touch your face, open doors, etc. It just feels better to clean it, I don't like my phone feeling sticky. It's true that the oleophobic coating on the screen will wear down eventually from wiping it down, unless you put on a screen protector.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
You guys don't care about germs? lol I'm sure you shake people's hands, touch your face, open doors, etc. It just feels better to clean it, I don't like my phone feeling sticky. It's true that the oleophobic coating on the screen will wear down eventually from wiping it down, unless you put on a screen protector.
screen protectors. always. tempered glass, when possible.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You guys don't care about germs?

I care a lot about germs. To be more specific, I care about maintaining, if not increasing, my exposure to them. Bacteria play a vital role in our health. I'd rather let my good bacteria fight off the bad ones than use antibacterial products that kill them all with impunity.

And no, I'm not kidding.