LG v20 or LG G6?

Andrewtude

Banned
Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
So based on what has been announced about the G6, would you get it or stick with the V20? I have a G5, but thought about getting the G6, but I hear the V20 is an awesome phone. Thoughts?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
What's your screen size preference? What's your stance on removable battery? Do you care about water resistance?

Andrewtude

Banned
Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
What's your screen size preference? What's your stance on removable battery? Do you care about water resistance?

Don't care about removable battery either way, I like bigger screens due to videos and my aging eyes and I'm indifferent about water resistance.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So based on what has been announced about the G6, would you get it or stick with the V20? I have a G5, but thought about getting the G6, but I hear the V20 is an awesome phone. Thoughts?

I can't imagine the camera being worse than the V20. So I'd trade the V20 in a heartbeat fit the G6 given the specs.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I replied to the thread in the G6 forum but I'll put it here as well.

I have the V20 and it's a great phone. If the price is right on the G6 and the main camera is better in full auto then I'll likely make the switch. An improved wide angle camera is already a plus for the G6.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I replied to the thread in the G6 forum but I'll put it here as well.

I have the V20 and it's a great phone. If the price is right on the G6 and the main camera is better in full auto then I'll likely make the switch. An improved wide angle camera is already a plus for the G6.

As long as the audio output doesn't suck and the camera is improved I'll likely switch as I'm really becoming a huge LG fan. But then again I love this phone so maybe I'll stick it out until Google I/O or whenever they announce a new pixel.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as the audio output doesn't suck and the camera is improved I'll likely switch as I'm really becoming a huge LG fan. But then again I love this phone so maybe I'll stick it out until Google I/O or whenever they announce a new pixel.
As a JOD T-Mobile customer, I will only get a Pixel if T-Mobile carries it. I like having T-Mobile guarantee my resell value, especially with how fast prices plummet on LG phones on the used market. I have 2 more jumps between now and October so we'll see what happens with the G6 and go from there.

sakamoto4

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I would likely prefer the G6. I've held the V20 a few times, and it feels enormous in the hand. The biggest thing I think you would miss out on is the quad dac in the US version, which may or may not matter to you.

BB_Bmore

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I see that is truly an upgrade if the HDR compatible screen. No DAC, no removable battery. Half the internal storage. If I were you I'd wait on the V30.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I love my V20s but I may let one go and replace it with a G6. I'll have to see a G6 up close and decide. ...or, better yet, get rid of my V10 and S7e and replace them with a G6. Lately, I have not had nearly the amount of love for them that I used to but I still love both my V20s. TBH, switching between 4 phones isn't as fun as it once was.

Andrewtude

Banned
Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
I love my V20s but I may let one go and replace it with a G6. I'll have to see a G6 up close and decide. ...or, better yet, get rid of my V10 and S7e and replace them with a G6. Lately, I have not had nearly the amount of love for them that I used to but I still love both my V20s. TBH, switching between 4 phones isn't as fun as it once was.

Switching out with 4 phones would totally make me feel schizophrenic

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Seems exhausting lol

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Depends what you are looking for in a smartphone.

Reasons to get the LG V20:
- extra 2nd notification screen (always on display, LG G6 has no LED indicator)
- higher quality audio and video recording (professional quality microphone)
- removable and replaceable battery (G6 has 3300 mAh sealed battery)
- metal backing, military grade rating (more durable vs glass)
- 16MP camera vs the G6's 13MP (loss in detail if you zoom into an image)
- STILL has an IR blaster (no IR blaster on G6)
- HIFI Quad DAC Audio built-in (trust me, there is a difference)
- Has a chin at the top and bottom, easier to grip and hold vs a bezelless phone
- Better speakers since it's not water-resistant? (waterproofing makes speakers sound muffled)

Questions to ask yourself:
- Do you need a removable battery?
- Does an extra 2nd screen seem important to you?
- Do you listen to music often and care about audio playback quality?
- Do you record video often and need a high quality mic?
- Would you rather have a metal rear backing instead of glass?
- Do you prefer or want an IR blaster?

Reasons to get the LG G6

- Looks much better (supposedly with the new glass back design, no bezels, curved corners)
- Completely flat screen (I think? Easy screen protector installation)
- Water-resistant
- Smaller, comfortable size despite the large screen size
- More color options: Black, platinum, white
- Wireless charging
- Higher aspect ratio (for more a bit more viewing space)
- Has a better 13MP wide angel camera (vs the V20's 8MP)
- Slightly better processor (SD 821 vs V20's SD 820)

Questions to ask yourself:
- Do you need a water-resistant phone?
- Do you need a more compact design?
- Do you need wireless charging?
- Do you care about the looks of your phone?
- Do you NOT need the following features: removable battery, IR blaster, HIFI Quad DAC Audio, HD microphone recording, 2nd screen, military grade standard phone?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
By the way, I'm sticking with my V20, it still is impressive with all the features it has. A removable battery and an IR blaster is a privilege nowdays (even an SD card slot!), before it was standard. Don't say we don't need it, that's what Apple said about the headphone jack.

IHateMyTreo

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Just my opinion so no flames 😀 but the G6 doesn't seem as much of a flagship as the V20.

And the aspect ratio actually will use LESS of the full screen when watching movies that are in traditional format. When you play a 16:9 movie on a 18:9 screen, you'll end up with bars on the left and right sides.