V20: perfect sized phone?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
5.7 inch seems like the sweet spot for a phone. However, manufactures including LG themselves with their new G6 are trimming down the bezels for a more compact size due to market trends. I personally think the V20 size is perfect. It is a little longer than most phones but it has a 2nd screen. The size bezels are already as thin as comfortably possible, and the top and bottom chin allows for better grip especially when holding in landscape mode or one-handed. I'm glad I can use this phone without my palm accidentally touching the screen (ahem, S7 Edge), and it's the first 5.7 inch phone I can use one-handed and text (Galaxy Note 3 was annoying, went back to a smaller screen). Imagine using the S8 with one hand, it's a curved nightmare! The Pixel XL's chin is way too big and is a waste of space. The V20's size is perfect and I hope the next V30 isn't completely bezelless. What do you y'all think?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
5.7 inch seems like the sweet spot for a phone. However, manufactures including LG themselves with their new G6 are trimming down the bezels for a more compact size due to market trends. I personally think the V20 size is perfect. It is a little longer than most phones but it has a 2nd screen. The size bezels are already as thin as comfortably possible, and the top and bottom chin allows for better grip especially when holding in landscape mode or one-handed. I'm glad I can use this phone without my palm accidentally touching the screen (ahem, S7 Edge), and it's the first 5.7 inch phone I can use one-handed and text (Galaxy Note 3 was annoying, went back to a smaller screen). Imagine using the S8 with one hand, it's a curved nightmare! The Pixel XL's chin is way too big and is a waste of space. The V20's size is perfect and I hope the next V30 isn't completely bezelless. What do you y'all think?
I would prefer bezel free with no second screen and a better scheme for notifications so they can always be seen at a distance any time screen is off. LED notifications would be best.

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Bought the V20 at release from TMO to replace a Nexus 6. I used it as my DD until last week when I picked up a Mate 9 off Swappa.

I really enjoyed the V20 (still do actually, just picked up a Digits SIM for it while I also use Mate 9), but the Mate 9 seems more Nexus-like than the V20 to me and I am really liking it so far. I also like the way the Mate 9 feels in the hand, which I think is better than the feel of the V20.

And even though the screen in the Mate 9 is only 1080p I really like the look of it. Also, the speaker sound is much better than the V20. Not true stereo, but way louder and it sounds pretty good too. Updates won't be as fast, but I'm okay with that for the moment since it's on Nougat.

The Mate 9 is quirky for sure, but Nova launcher took care of many of my issues with EMUI and there are "fixes" for the notification and other issues people complain about.

I could still just be in the honeymoon phase, but I have to say the Mate 9 is a solid phone and I'm digging it.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I'd have to use two hands regardless since I have tiny hands so the size od the V20 is not an issue.

If anything I'm waiting in the soon to come S8 Plus which may be even larger yay !!

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd havw to use two hands regardless since I have tiny hands so the size od the V20 is not an issue.

If anything I'm waiting in the soon to come S8 Plus which may be even larger yay !!
521e7c6eaf3fcd79df0cdd48d184e4e8.gif

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Loved my Nexus 6... Although I must say, the size of the V20 along with the second screen doesn't have me missing my N6 as much as I thought I would.
Large phones are so much better screen wise. I've always had decent size screens but by far the 6P and V20 were the biggest for me. I can do some things one handed. If I attached one of those holders to the back I could probably do more.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Large phones are so much better screen wise. I've always had decent size screens but by far the 6P and V20 were the biggest for me. I can do some things one handed. If I attached one of those holders to the back I could probably do more.
There is also a setting that makes it so the amount of screen that is used gets reduced when you swipe left or right on the nav bar. I believe it's under display somewhere.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I think 6inch is the perfect size for me with slim bezels.

5.7 is okay ( have small hands same a girl, lol) but could be bigger, yes.

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I love the screen size of my V20. However, this thing is HUGE. I am going back and forth on selling it, but I keep thinking I'll get used to it. I am used to a 5-5.3" inch screen and smaller form factor. May wait for the G6 to hit and then decide.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I love the screen size of my V20. However, this thing is HUGE. I am going back and forth on selling it, but I keep thinking I'll get used to it. I am used to a 5-5.3" inch screen and smaller form factor. May wait for the G6 to hit and then decide.

I got the V20 at launch and thought it was huge. I then went to a Moto Z Force Droid.

Now I am back with a V20 and it feels perfect