Android System Webview

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Found this app listed as disabled. I don't recall disabling and it won't allow enabling. Its a system app that allows apps to display web content. I wonder if was disabled by Verizon.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you have Chrome installed and enabled, webview gets disabled.
This, because Chrome takes care of the System Webview duties in Nougat and the OS will not allow both to run at the same time.

I have had a bug, and seen reports of others, related to the SWV app even though disabled. Mine was issues posting photos in Facebook groups, and I think the others were with the Amazon app. It's a good idea to disable Chrome, enable SWV, then check the Play store for an update of SWV. If so, do the update, then enable Chrome again (which will automatically disable SWV for you in the process). That's what fixed mine and other bugs related to it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you feel adventurous,

"you can choose your WebView provider by enabling Developer Options and selecting WebView implementation. You can use any compatible Chrome version (Dev, Beta or Stable) that is installed on your device or the standalone Webview APK to act as the WebView implementation".

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/nougat/android-7.0.html#webview
I tried that a while back and it caused a number of issues. This was back right after release, so i don't remember exactly what happened. XD

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This, because Chrome takes care of the System Webview duties in Nougat and the OS will not allow both to run at the same time.

I have had a bug, and seen reports of others, related to the SWV app even though disabled. Mine was issues posting photos in Facebook groups, and I think the others were with the Amazon app. It's a good idea to disable Chrome, enable SWV, then check the Play store for an update of SWV. If so, do the update, then enable Chrome again (which will automatically disable SWV for you in the process). That's what fixed mine and other bugs related to it.

Tried what you said... When I disabled chrome I uninstalled chrome beta also but probably didn't have to. I wasn't having any issues but just in case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer