LG V20 camera screen cracked today

A

AC Question

My wife noticed today that my camera screen was all crackef up. Haven't drop it...been in a case since day one. What's happening? Is LG doing any to correct this. I'm seeing reports of this all over the place. What can I do?

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you know when your build date is?

Someone on Reddit had a theory that it was the ones with a build date of October 2016

Should be on the box

Attachments

• 11167.jpg
    11167.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 87

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My wife noticed today that my camera screen was all crackef up. Haven't drop it...been in a case since day one. What's happening? Is LG doing any to correct this. I'm seeing reports of this all over the place. What can I do?

Was in a pocket or bag with hard objects like keys?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

My first suggestion is to speak to an LG rep via live chat. Tell them what happened and try to say that it happened by itself and not because you mishandled it (ask to speak to their supervisor if needed). There may be a good chance they will take it back and replace it for you. Alternatively, you can check with your carrier and see what they say and if they're willing to swap it out for you.

If all else fails, you can order the replacement part and fix it yourself for $36:

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/327...Buzzer-Original-Replacement-Camera-Lens-glass

Let us know how it goes!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you know when your build date is?

Someone on Reddit had a theory that it was the ones with a build date of October 2016

Should be on the box

I preordered so I assume that mine is an early build and no issues here. Spontaneous breakage is indeed possible with tempered glass but highly unlikely. I can tell you for certain that the glass covering the G5, V20 and even the Samsung 6 and 7 series is very fragile if a hard object presses up against it.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
So sorry to hear about this.

I don't believe I've seen any recent new threads regarding a cracked camera screen though a few popped up when the V20 was first released.

Keep us posted and good luck !!!

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I preordered so I assume that mine is an early build and no issues here. Spontaneous breakage is indeed possible with tempered glass but highly unlikely. I can tell you for certain that the glass covering the G5, V20 and even the Samsung 6 and 7 series is very fragile if a hard object presses up against it.
Same boat as you. Pre-ordered mine as well, even got it a day or two before my carriers official launch date and no cracking here.

Kooosh

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Damn. This is a real downer. I just ordered this phone from AT&T for $415 and was so excited. I guess it's going back.

I watched a durability test on youtube and it cracked on it's own just by the guy scratching the glass. Then I asked a question on Amazon about a case I was thinking about buying...without prompting, that person told me that his glass had broken. And now I'm reading this.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Damn. This is a real downer. I just ordered this phone from AT&T for $415 and was so excited. I guess it's going back.

I watched a durability test on youtube and it cracked on it's own just by the guy scratching the glass. Then I asked a question on Amazon about a case I was thinking about buying...without prompting, that person told me that his glass had broken. And now I'm reading this.
Very few people have had it crack, and the same thing happens with Samsung phones.

Get a case that adds a bump around the camera, like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUacUvbUpU5711907 (this is the case I use)

Watch out for keys, etc.

Also, as noted above, there is now a $36 replacement part.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

That review is suspect in my book. If you watch the video carefully it looks like the video is paused and cracks after.
It will crack if enough pressure is applied and it doesn't take much.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I've dropped mine at least 15 times on hardwood floors without a single scratch. Phone just breaks apart into 3 pieces each time; battery, rear cover, front screen. And I was a preorder in October, one of the first batches.

More Samsung phones have had their camera shatter than LG. Thousands of camera screen replacement kits sold on ebay for the S7 alone.

I also removed that clear protector around the camera the first day, thinking it was part of the delivery plastic wrap.

kbayer

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped mine at least 15 times on hardwood floors without a single scratch. Phone just breaks apart into 3 pieces each time; battery, rear cover, front screen. And I was a preorder in October, one of the first batches.

More Samsung phones have had their camera shatter than LG. Thousands of camera screen replacement kits sold on ebay for the S7 alone.

I also removed that clear protector around the camera the first day, thinking it was part of the delivery plastic wrap.

15 times ?????? WTF dude? No more tequila for you.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
15 times ?????? WTF dude? No more tequila for you.
0238386e8466712e63b1f8a3b0127ebe.gif

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I can only say that I've dropped mine about 3 times, twice on carpeted floors, once on hard wood. I have a good Spigen case. Phone was fine every time. No problems anywhere.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine hit my face and then bounced off the coach onto my hardwood floor last night with my Obliq Flex Pro case and its still good! :)