Gallery app casting tiny images to 4K TV

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a 4K Samsung Smart TV. Recently I had to replace my Note for with an LG V20. So far a much more amazing phone but when I cast from the Gallery app I get a tiny little thumbnail in the center of the screen.

If I use the Samsung Smart View app that is made for my TV the image renders to the TV's full resolution.

Is there a way to fix this? It's a bit more cumbersome to use the SmartView app over the native application.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain you're casting the full photo, and not just the thumbnail file? Check the Info/Details of the photo you're casting -- is it 4 or 5 MB in size, or only a few dozen KB?

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

I had checked the info when it happened. The resolution showed the original full size which was in excess of 4K.

However, these were also images I had downloaded to my phone from my backup. I have some shots I've taken since with the V20. I'll try tonight and see how they work.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
The new photos taken on the phone have the same issue. It seems to only cast a thumbnail. It could be a V20 issue with the app.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure but it is built in to my Samsung TV. It is a 2016 model. I just click the cast icon and the TV shows up as a target.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do other things cast normally, like videos, YouTube, etc? What if you cast from the Google Photos app?

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't see an option to cast from that app. I only get the option to share. The play store notes seem to indicate it supports casting. But the Samsung smartview app does work.

I will try YouTube when I get home. I also have a fire tv. I can try that as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where's the cast icon you're talking about? Is it in the Quick Settings when you swipe down the notification panel?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I wish I could help more. It may be some compatibility issue between that app and Samsung's DLNA implementation, but I'm only speculating. Hopefully someone else with a V10 and a Samsung TV can chime in!

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Oops, I have a V20. I edited the first post to correct.

Thanks for your help! It seems specific to the Gallery app. I'll try to report it as a bug. But being google it feels like one person does not have a voice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But with any tech issue, the company won't be aware of the issue if you don't let them know. If others see this happen as well, they should also give feedback. Things are more likely to be addressed if there are more people who ask about it.

I'd send feedback to LG, not just Google, since the stock Gallery app was probably customized by LG.

I'll also move this from the Nougat forum to the V20 forum for more device-specific traffic, to see if other V20 owners are seeing the same thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon