When are you dumping your V20?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When do you predict your next phone upgrade? With the removable battery, the life of the device can be further extended (hoping that you take care of it and it doesn't break or submerge in water). Me: I predict next year, possibly when the V30, Note 8, or G7 comes out (maybe if it's any good, if not then I'll keep the V20 for much longer). This years Q2 flagships doesn't look tempting enough to upgrade (though the G6 looks beautiful, I can't let go of the Quad DAC or removable battery!).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That's great you like your V20. I don't see any need to switch to a new device if a current one suits a user's particular needs. :)

Jax112

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree until something comes out better than the V20. Right now nothing else has a removable battery, IR blaster, and SD card. Three things I really love about this phone. LG moves away from this and I'm gone.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Probably when the V30 comes out, maybe even the V40. I used to really like Samsungs, and still probably like the screen a little more, but I never realized how much screen you lost with the curved edges until I got the V20. Felt like I gained a half inch with this phone.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't see myself "upgrading" anytime soon. The G6 "looks" nice but my V20 does everything I want it to do and then some...
The DAC, 2nd screen (surprising), and removable battery is what do it for me. I plan to hold on to this phone until the V30 drops. And even then, it would have to blow me away to upgrade.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hard to say. If nothing happens to it, I can see myself keeping it into next year at least. Something would have to really stand out to make me switch early. I.e. Adding optical zoom, true xenon camera flash, quality front gabbing stereo speakers, etc. Even if it's just one or two of those, that may not have me wanting to switch. LG really did a bang up job on the V20 with few downsides.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't see myself "upgrading" anytime soon. The G6 "looks" nice but my V20 does everything I want it to do and then some...
The DAC, 2nd screen (surprising), and removable battery is what do it for me. I plan to hold on to this phone until the V30 drops. And even then, it would have to blow me away to upgrade.
I agree I too prefer the V20 over the G6. I've currently got a Note 5 I love, but the V20 is a reall, really nice device as well.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Hard to say. If nothing happens to it, I can see myself keeping it into next year at least. Something would have to really stand out to make me switch early. I.e. Adding optical zoom, true xenon camera flash, quality front gabbing stereo speakers, etc. Even if it's just one or two of those, that may not have me wanting to switch. LG really did a bang up job on the V20 with few downsides.
A big draw to the V20 is the removable battery. I love that idea.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Barring any bootloop issues which I'm gonna say have been remedied with the V20 I will keep mine until I finish paying it off. Its been a long time since I've actually kept a phone instead of jumping the next great thing. I figure by fall 2019 the camera tech on our phones will be even more improved and then I can upgrade and have my V20 as a change of pace/back-up phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A big draw to the V20 is the removable battery. I love that idea.
That's why I said adding additional features. I don't want them removing a dang thing impress it's to upgrade. I.e. Removing the wide angle lens if they add optical zoom. Removable battery, headphone jack/high end DAC, IR Blaster, SD card, top notch manual camera controls, and now the secondary screen are all features I love and want to keep.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's why I said adding additional features. I don't want them removing a dang thing impress it's to upgrade. I.e. Removing the wide angle lens if they add optical zoom. Removable battery, headphone jack/high end DAC, IR Blaster, SD card, top notch manual camera controls, and now the secondary screen are all features I love and want to keep.

There's not one thing I would change on this phone except maybe using less fragile glass around the camera.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
As long as it doesn't bootloop, I'll be keeping my V20 as long as I can. Otherwise, my next device will need to have....

1. Flat Amoled screen
2. SD card slot
3. Fast and efficient SoC
4. 64gb minimum int. storage
5. 5-6 inch screen
6. Any build as long as it's premium feel....even plastic.

Last edited:

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I would like to upgrade at the end of the year, but I think I would completely have to pay off my V20, which is on monthly payments with Verizon, before I would be allowed to. I hope not, because then I'll probably have it until November 2018, with just paying $28 a month.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Likely with the s8. I love manual control but often with my kids a fast auto is the difference between a good photo and a blurred mess. That's my only frustration with the V20.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Likely with the s8. I love manual control but often with my kids a fast auto is the difference between a good photo and a blurred mess. That's my only frustration with the V20.

In manual mode, set shutter speed between 1/3200 to 1/50, and then adjust the ISO accordingly. You'll get pictures of your kids running around just fine. Even pets. Should help you out until then.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I would like to upgrade at the end of the year, but I think I would completely have to pay off my V20, which is on monthly payments with Verizon, before I would be allowed to. I hope not, because then I'll probably have it until November 2018, with just paying $28 a month.
Does Verizon allow you to pay extra towards the phone balance or no

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Same here, I hate it when they remove features and you're forced to go with it (ahem, Apple and headphone jack? Pixel is planning to do the same). I wish to see improvements in the V30, not removal of features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair