Advanced Wi-Fi issues

Matt Driessen

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Having issues with phone going slow on an excellent Wi-Fi connection. Was going to try to switch to a static IP to see if that would help. I can go to advanced Wi-Fi, manage networks, choose my network. But as soon as I click "show advanced options" the Wi-Fi settings close (image attached). Anybody else having this issue?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-18-10-23-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-03-18-10-23-23.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 56

Matt Driessen

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
This post is more about why I can't even get to the advanced Wi-Fi settings than to the slow performance. But of course any suggestions to that are welcome.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This post is more about why I can't even get to the advanced Wi-Fi settings than to the slow performance. But of course any suggestions to that are welcome.

I'm assuming you have already tried a reboot? Can you walk us through (step by step instructions) as to how you got to that screen with the "show advanced options" checkbox....I can get to those options differently, by clicking on the right top corner three dots after Settings -> Wifi. The settings are not specific to one network.

Matt Driessen

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I've rebooted. I go to Wi-Fi settings, 3 dots in corner, advanced Wi-Fi, manage networks, select my network, modify network, then I click "show advanced options" and it stops running every time, on any Wi-Fi network.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I've rebooted. I go to Wi-Fi settings, 3 dots in corner, advanced Wi-Fi, manage networks, select my network, modify network, then I click "show advanced options" and it stops running every time, on any Wi-Fi network.

It might me network specific. I got nothing for manage networks under advanced Wi-Fi...see below:

Attachments

• 19508.jpg
    19508.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 50

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This is my advanced Wi-Fi menu. Verizon LG V20 VS995

That explains the difference, I have an unlocked B&O model with no carrier modification. Have you tried playing your router settings to improve your speed? The advance Wi-Fi will only give you access settings like WPS, Dual Band priority, VPN certs & etc. These would only help if you were having issues like connections drops or any other Wi-Fi Access issue.

What kind of router do you have? What kind of wireless standard does it support 802.11G, N, AC? Do you have much traffic congestion on your network or even congestion on specific WiFi channels?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Was going to try to switch to a static IP to see if that would help.

Your phone can only use the IP address that's supplied to it by your wireless router. The router determines IP addresses so you need to go into your router's setup page and then give it an assigned IP (DHCP off) or a reserved IP (leaving DHCP on).

If your phone has been having issues with WiFi, again with working within your router's setup menu, try disabling IPv6.

Matt Driessen

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Your phone can only use the IP address that's supplied to it by your wireless router. The router determines IP addresses so you need to go into your router's setup page and then give it an assigned IP (DHCP off) or a reserved IP (leaving DHCP on).

If your phone has been having issues with WiFi, again with working within your router's setup menu, try disabling IPv6.

Ok...so I disabled ipv6, set dns servers to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, used a reserved IP address. Still didn't work. For the record, not everything was slow. Like I could stream a basketball game no problem, just that apps that should load in milliseconds were taking a minute (ok maybe only seemed like a minute, but like even Android Central would take 30 seconds to load a thread). Facebook, Snapchat, took forever, even failed to refresh at times. Then I came across an app called DNSset today, which basically does everything I thought I already did (force phone to ipv4, use Google DNS server) and it WORKED.

Attachments

• 15330.jpg
    15330.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 22

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Ok...so I disabled ipv6, set dns servers to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, used a reserved IP address. Still didn't work. For the record, not everything was slow. Like I could stream a basketball game no problem, just that apps that should load in milliseconds were taking a minute (ok maybe only seemed like a minute, but like even Android Central would take 30 seconds to load a thread). Facebook, Snapchat, took forever, even failed to refresh at times. Then I came across an app called DNSset today, which basically does everything I thought I already did (force phone to ipv4, use Google DNS server) and it WORKED.

Are all other devices on your network using the same DNS server? I'm curious to see to see if this fix was just for the V20. Typically, you should be using what's provided by your internet service provider through the router. With this fix you're just overriding those settings which is a trick typically used to bypass ISP censorship.