My work phone is a __________

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Broke down and asked for a work phone because I didn't want company to have security controls on my phone and without doing so work email bites because we can't use a standard client.

Ugh.... Iphone 6S.....how boring.....eventually it will be a 7....still boring.

What are you using for work?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's where apps like Parallel or Samsung's Secure Folder come in handy: You can have a virtual phone inside your phone and your company can take control of that if they want. If the control comes when you activate your Exchange account, however, I strongly recommend you spend 9 bucks and get Nine. You still get all the system-level integration of e-mail, calendar, contacts, notes, etc. as the stock client, BUT you get to apply the company security policy JUST to the app, so the rest of your phone is yours to secure as you see fit (my company forced me to do that when they disabled my Smart Lock capabilities last year... sorry boss, but when I'm in the pool and my BT headphones are connected, I can't have my phone locked while I swim, thank you very screw you).

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Well as of right now I'm using my personal phone for work as well. My T-Mobile Galaxy S7 Edge we use Microsoft Exchange and I have full email access.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well as of right now I'm using my personal phone for work as well. My T-Mobile Galaxy S7 Edge we use Microsoft Exchange and I have full email access.

Yeah, but that also means that your company has security control over your personal device. They might not enforce it, but they do. That's why I chose to use Nine, because it keeps the corporate security policy (whatever it may be) confined to the app, and not applied to the whole phone.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
If they want me to work, take calls, etc, they can give me a phone. But I'll never do work on my personal phone given the policies they have in place.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Well that may be but I'm not bound by them by any means. It's my personal phone and I can keep it sell it or do whatever I choose. No phone brand restrictions. My company's company phones are strictly iPhone's.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If they want me to work, take calls, etc, they can give me a phone. But I'll never do work on my personal phone given the policies they have in place.

Well, my company does give me a phone... but I opted for them paying my personal bill and me using my personal phone instead. Work phones are iPhones, and they don't have free data when abroad like mine does. So it's better for me than carrying around two phones. And with Google Voice, I can keep my work phone number separate from my personal phone and still use just one device. Win Win.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, my company does give me a phone... but I opted for them paying my personal bill and me using my personal phone instead. Work phones are iPhones, and they don't have free data when abroad like mine does. So it's better for me than carrying around two phones. And with Google Voice, I can keep my work phone number separate from my personal phone and still use just one device. Win Win.
If it works out that's excellent.

If I use my personal device for exchange, I have to consent to remote wipe. No thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it works out that's excellent.

If I use my personal device for exchange, I have to consent to remote wipe. No thanks.

Again, that's where 'virtual desktop' apps come in handy, or in the case of Nine, even better. Apps like Parallel or Secure Folder will contain the corporate security to the virtual space, but it usually doesn't integrate calendar/contact data with the rest of the phone. Nine does. For all intents and purposes, it works just as the stock e-mail app from your phone, BUT you can choose to contain your corporate policies to the app and not the phone, so a remote wipe command while your corporate account is active on Nine would just prompt the app to delete all data from itself and delete the account information, not fully wipe the entire device.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Again, that's where 'virtual desktop' apps come in handy, or in the case of Nine, even better. Apps like Parallel or Secure Folder will contain the corporate security to the virtual space, but it usually doesn't integrate calendar/contact data with the rest of the phone. Nine does. For all intents and purposes, it works just as the stock e-mail app from your phone, BUT you can choose to contain your corporate policies to the app and not the phone, so a remote wipe command while your corporate account is active on Nine would just prompt the app to delete all data from itself and delete the account information, not fully wipe the entire device.
If that works out for most people that's great but I'm not risking it with my personal device. I don't trust the corporate language in the policy so I just choose to keep it away from my personal device.

If they want me away from the office, they can buy me a phone. Otherwise I'll enjoy my peace and quiet away from there.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

That wouldn't be allowed nor does it work in my line of work because it goes beyond protecting normal cyber security assets.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Broke down and asked for a work phone because I didn't want company to have security controls on my phone and without doing so work email bites because we can't use a standard client.

Ugh.... Iphone 6S.....how boring.....eventually it will be a 7....still boring.

What are you using for work?

Is this specific for *edit* V20 owners only?

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Man I feel you Mike Dee...Mine is a 6S also...I really dislike it and I use my V20 as much as I can for pictures and such.

It's been hard for me to use an iPhone from any of my Androids when forced to do so because they were always bigger screens no matter how small an Android I owned. I have really tried to like the IPhone but just can't do it though they do some things well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And even worse, I've got an iPad in my hand all day long...It's so nice to get home and jump on my Samsung tablet, lol.

I was going to mention my iPad in my other post because ironically I'm OK with the IPad. I had a Toshiba tablet but Toshiba bailed early on updates and it's laggy as hell because it's a few years old.

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I was going to mention my iPad in my other post because ironically I'm OK with the IPad. I had a Toshiba tablet but Toshiba bailed early on updates and it's laggy as hell because it's a few years old.

Well, my Samsung is about 3 yrs old so it's laggy and the battery is shot, but I still enjoy it. I guess the iPad is better than the iPhone, but I use both of them under protest, lol.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, my Samsung is about 3 yrs old so it's laggy and the battery is shot, but I still enjoy it. I guess the iPad is better than the iPhone, but I use both of them under protest, lol.

I'm going to say it's better because it's bigger and I use it a lot with Zagg folio keyboard so it's like having a notebook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae