V20 "legendary" audio performance vs. HTC One M9. Not even close!

mitchellj

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site
After reading all the hype about the V20's extraordinary audio capabilities, I begrudgingly went ahead and pulled the trigger. My HTC One M9 hard wired to my Yamaha amp feeding Klipcsh towers woke the neighbor. The V20 lets my neighbor sleep like a baby. It's a shame because I use my phone more as an audio source than I do a phone, camera, alarm, etc., etc. I have the quad DAC and all the other bells and whistles running but still doesn't compare. Would a headphone preamp between phone and receiver help? Or damage?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
If your V20 saw your Yamaha as a high impedance device it would have been much different. At work where I have a Bose Companion 5 speaker setup, absolutely nothing plays even near as loud as my V20.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My V20 volume sounds much louder than any other device. I have Mackie MR5 MKIII studio monitors and audio sounds absolutely crisp and clear.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure the V20's volume was all the way up? I know it, and most phones, like to reduce the media volume when you plug anything into the headphone jack, and you have to go through a high volume nag notification to max it out.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
You need high impedance headphones over 50 Ohm to trigger all 4 amps. Otherwise only 3 of 4 running to save battery and give what low ohm headphones need - low ohm.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You need high impedance headphones over 50 Ohm to trigger all 4 amps. Otherwise only 3 of 4 running to save battery and give what low ohm headphones need - low ohm.

I think someone gave you bad Intel. In low power mode only 1 of 4 stages are running. There are a lot of different things going on with each stage when all 4 are engaged but there is only 1 amp regardless of how many stages are running.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
It also helps to install an equalizer. LG strips it out of their phones for some reason, at least on Google Music. I installed Equalizer FX after searching around here for a solution, and it turns the EQ back on so you can adjust. The difference was dramatic, particularly the bass and depth. And I was already happy without it. But particularly my bluetooth streams in my car sound incredible now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It also helps to install an equalizer. LG strips it out of their phones for some reason, at least on Google Music. I installed Equalizer FX after searching around here for a solution, and it turns the EQ back on so you can adjust. The difference was dramatic, particularly the bass and depth. And I was already happy without it. But particularly my bluetooth streams in my car sound incredible now.

The stock LG app has some preset equalization but you might not have it

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The stock LG app has some preset equalization but you might not have it

Yeah you are right. It's really odd LG goes out of their way to remove the EQ from Google Music app, while others leave it in. G5 was the same way. Maybe that's why the sound was so terrible on that device. I just assumed I was missing the DAC from the V10. Lol

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

+1 on EqualizerFX.

I've tried several and it seems to do the best job without any increased distortion.

Jet Audio+ with its EQ comes in a close second.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah you are right. It's really odd LG goes out of their way to remove the EQ from Google Music app, while others leave it in. G5 was the same way. Maybe that's why the sound was so terrible on that device. I just assumed I was missing the DAC from the V10. Lol

I thought it was LG app.... Didn't know it was the default Google music app.

Andrew Rokey

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
956c36b58f838cda9084c25e9df03c23.jpg

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Pretty much anything you want

You won't be getting be Hi Res audio with this equalizer. It was designed for use with the likes of HTC 10 or Note 7 which use the Snapdragon Aqstic DAC. The V20 does have a normal Snapdragon DAC as a fallback which other phones like the S7/S7 edge use as a main, but it's not Hi Res.

Qualcomm treats Aqstic DAC/Codec/Amp package as upgrade from the normal Snapdragon DACs, but for the V20 we could care less the ESS Quad DAC is a huge upgrade from either options.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
So would the eq make the music seem louder? Because that's what I thought the op was getting at

One of the main variables influencing the perception of loudness is gain. So, an equalizer can create a perception of "louder" because (depending on how you use it) you may be boosting certain frequencies. Frequencies that are flat will not have an increase in gain. The inverse is also true, if you use an equalizer to decrease a specific frequency, you are decreasing its gain. When boosting frequencies you need to be careful not to boost too much otherwise you run the risk of over-driving the amplifier or pre-amplifier stages, especially when boosting bass frequencies. This results in distortion, not a good thing!

To increase loudness evenly across the entire spectrum you are better off with an equalizer that has a gain control. One example is Poweramp and I'm sure there are others. Again you have to be careful otherwise you may boost the gain too much, overdrive the amp or pre-amp and create distortion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781