Checked out a G6, definitely prefer the V20

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So I am getting the S8+ and keeping my V20 as a backup

Prior to the S8 and S8+ being unveiled I thought the LG G6 seemed cool, but I never saw one in person, Best Buy never had them.

When I went to T-Mobile to pay off my V20 so I could pre-order the S8+ they had a G6 on display, checked it out and it is a no brainer between that and the S8+, Samsung destroyed it

I would rather have the V20 over the G6, no comparison

I held them side by side and played with them, and G6 looks almost identical to the V20 on a software perspective

Other than gaining wireless charging, I would not see the appeal of the G6

Jeyd02

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
So I am getting the S8+ and keeping my V20 as a backup

Prior to the S8 and S8+ being unveiled I thought the LG G6 seemed cool, but I never saw one in person, Best Buy never had them.

When I went to T-Mobile to pay off my V20 so I could pre-order the S8+ they had a G6 on display, checked it out and it is a no brainer between that and the S8+, Samsung destroyed it

I would rather have the V20 over the G6, no comparison

I held them side by side and played with them, and G6 looks almost identical to the V20 on a software perspective

Other than gaining wireless charging, I would not see the appeal of the G6
Okay. Good that you made your decision.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What is making you buy the S8? Why is the V20 not good enough now? Esp since you must be paying full price for a S8.

I like a big phone, the S8+ is about the same size of the V20, which I like.

I change phones very often, in the past year or so I went from V10 to S7 Edge to Moto Z Force Droid to the V20.

I got the V20 on that super sale of $360 on T-Mobile

So i figure I can pay off the V20 and keep it on hand. Get the S8+ on Jump On Demand and have the best of both worlds, just switch the SIM every 2 weeks or so

I think QuickCapture+ is one of the best features of any phone, and the double tap

For Samsung I love their keyboard and calendar

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I like a big phone, the S8+ is about the same size of the V20, which I like.

I change phones very often, in the past year or so I went from V10 to S7 Edge to Moto Z Force Droid to the V20.

I got the V20 on that super sale of $360 on T-Mobile

So i figure I can pay off the V20 and keep it on hand. Get the S8+ on Jump On Demand and have the best of both worlds, just switch the SIM every 2 weeks or so

I think QuickCapture+ is one of the best features of any phone, and the double tap

Sounds good...
Let us know the pros and cons, and real world usage between the V20 & S8+.... Would love to hear about software and performance comparison.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok well sounds like you know what you want (for now anyway since you're always switching)

I left Samsung after the note edge and went to V10. I only (plan to) change phones every 2 generations so I came from the S4 and was enticed to the note edge for the curved screen and s pen. The note edge acted up and went in to Samsung for repair and when it started acting up right out of warranty I traded it in for a V10 because the note 5 had no removable battery.

V10 bootlooped after 6 months so when the V20 came out I sold the replacement V10 to get that. V20 is acting right so the plan is to keep it until the V40 comes out.

G6 vs S8? If I HAD to choose between the two the G6 would be my choice because I'd rather have two 13MP cameras than a single 12MP. I can't not have that wide angle camera. Also after having a curved screen, I prefer a flat screen because I like having full tempered glass coverage. And that fingerprint scanner on the S8 is asking for you to smudge up the camera lens right next to it with your finger. Lastly, I have yet to see the Samsung UI be as smooth as the latest versions of Android are supposed to be.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I think we are in a point where the flagship phones and even some mid range phones are so good, that we are choosing the phones for different reasons, like the looks and other features, one good thing of the Samsung's is the amount of accessories you can get from third parties, I never saw LG getting as much love from third parties as Samsung or even iPhone.

It's nice you can change devices often, I'm jealous :p

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The S8+ is no doubt a stellar phone, it's a monster! The V20 is still an excellent choice for those that are in the market. I had a S6 and S7 but something was itching and I wanted to leave Samsung; the removable of the microSD on the S6, IR blaster on the S7, and non-removable battery convinced me to switch. Sure the phone runs great the first 3-6 months, but wait 8 -12 months and see your battery performance drop. I still like Samsung but after using a Galaxy Note 5 recently, no thanks, TouchWiz is waaaay too slow and laggy.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

I personally don't see how you could possibly like the stock Samsung keyboard. It was always laggy for me, always. Even with nothing going on on the phone and just set up just never kept up with my typing and I don't even type that fast. Just my experience and opinion though.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I think we are in a point where the flagship phones and even some mid range phones are so good, that we are choosing the phones for different reasons, like the looks and other features, one good thing of the Samsung's is the amount of accessories you can get from third parties, I never saw LG getting as much love from third parties as Samsung or even iPhone.

It's nice you can change devices often, I'm jealous :p
That's because what are the 2 phone companies you think of when you think of smartphones? Samsung and Apple right?! They are the 2 biggest phone makers on the planet and because of that they're always going to have more 3rd party support.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
That's because what are the 2 phone companies you think of when you think of smartphones? Samsung and Apple right?! They are the 2 biggest phone makers on the planet and because of that they're always going to have more 3rd party support.

I know, maybe years ago were Motorola and Nokia, right now if you are an accessories maker, you should aim to those brands with more phones sold.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The S8+ is no doubt a stellar phone, it's a monster! The V20 is still an excellent choice for those that are in the market. I had a S6 and S7 but something was itching and I wanted to leave Samsung; the removable of the microSD on the S6, IR blaster on the S7, and non-removable battery convinced me to switch. Sure the phone runs great the first 3-6 months, but wait 8 -12 months and see your battery performance drop. I still like Samsung but after using a Galaxy Note 5 recently, no thanks, TouchWiz is waaaay too slow and laggy.

I left Samsung when they released the S5. I had the S3 so I was due for my upgrade. At the time, I was bored with Samsung so I left for the LG G3 and have been with LG since (G4, V10, V20). I think the S8 is a gorgeous phone and may bring me back to Samsung but I'm still skeptical of the slowdowns of TW and this good battery duration of only a year with Samsung devices I've been reading about online. There are pros and cons to every device I suppose.

Jeyd02

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
It has certainly become a race, manufacturers pushing production devices to meet deadlines and expectations not to forget the competition for the lastest specs. If only they take their time to actually improve and innovate their product it'll be so much acceptable.

I kinda become skeptical and not pleased towards Samsung after they made the move to hord the new SoC from other manufacturer. Instead I seen other manufacturers actually innovating.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
It has certainly become a race, manufacturers pushing production devices to meet deadlines and expectations not to forget the competition for the lastest specs. If only they take their time to actually improve and innovate their product it'll be so much acceptable.

I kinda become skeptical and not pleased towards Samsung after they made the move to hord the new SoC from other manufacturer. Instead I seen other manufacturers actually innovating.
It's become all about the money these days,not to mention that they think they have to blow it out of the water with the S8 series to get customers back and sabotaging the competition so spec oriented customers like some us are to swing their way.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad