LG v20 updates

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As I like to say, each update is better than the next.

I seem to have nothing but problems when it comes to updates (taking away features, deleting my files, new lag, etc), so I'm perfectly happy staying on a stable version for a while.

Yeah Verizon took away the FM radio on my first Droid with an update.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've got the January update on my Verizon..... Strange having so many different versions

Are you sure? My Verizon version says Dec 1st for security patch. I didn't receive it until January but it is the December patch.

Attachments

• 25117.jpg
    25117.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 103

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure? My Verizon version says Dec 1st for security patch. I didn't receive it until January but it is the December patch.

He probably means he applied it in January which is what's listed in system updates

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-23-11-51-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-23-11-51-59.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 146

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a few week only factory unlocked V20 born on February 2017 and it has the December 2016 security patch and I keep checking for updates from att and it says it's current on 7.0

I've talked to att and LG and both point fingers bit att said they turned the issue over to a programmer and they would get to my issue when ever. Pissed me off

Why does it take so long my unlocked Note 5 on att got monthly updates why Not the LG????

I just want the current security patch either Att or LG get off your as s

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Im at the mercy of LG and then ATT

I talked to LG yesterday and they said my factory Unlocked V20 was designed for US Cellular and I called them and they said they could flash the phone in one of their stores but it will wipe the phone the only problem is the closest US Cellular store is 7 hours away in Lawton, OK

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
So I sent an email today to LG in regards to the potential and lack of updates. Per the email reply, the customer service person said it takes a while because they have to get all the updates from the carriers to ensure the unlocked version works across all of them. She did say there was an update version US99610G version released February 8, 2017. I did inquire as to obtaining said release since it says I am up to date OTA and when I do it via the LG app I installed on my laptop.

So, 10 to 1 we are waiting for the remainder of the big four carriers to get their butts in gear.

If I get a response about version 10G, I will post it.

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I got the same line from LG last week. They point the fingers at the carriers and the carriers point the fingers at LG.

its one big cluster F---K I guess having a factory unlocked US996 which is actually a US Cellular go figure.
I guess I dont understand what is so hard about pushing out security patches monthly???

Some geek please explain this to us and why when the updates are out there that we can just load them like I could with my blackberry's you could load the leaks and worry about something else

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Some geek please explain this to us and why when the updates are out there that we can just load them like I could with my blackberry's you could load the leaks and worry about something else

I can't speak for them all, but I think Verizon has a rather convoluted testing system, or at least use to. Once the manufacturer sent the new update over, Verizon would test it. If it failed at one, the entire test was cancelled and sent back to the manufacturer for a fix. Then it would have the entire test started over from scratch and ran until the next failure. Lather, rinse, repeat. They wouldn't test everything and then send a list of fixes they required so it could be patched up all at once. That's why they were always known for having the slowest updates. Though, some of that has changed in timing lately. I think with the V20, they have been beating the others to the punch several times.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak for them all, but I think Verizon has a rather convoluted testing system, or at least use to. Once the manufacturer sent the new update over, Verizon would test it. If it failed at one, the entire test was cancelled and sent back to the manufacturer for a fix. Then it would have the entire test started over from scratch and ran until the next failure. Lather, rinse, repeat. They wouldn't test everything and then send a list of fixes they required so it could be patched up all at once. That's why they were always known for having the slowest updates. Though, some of that has changed in timing lately. I think with the V20, they have been beating the others to the punch several times.

They also incorporate changes to bloatware or adding and removing features. One year on my Droid X the dirty bastards disabled the FM radio.

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the engineers just like messing with us because they can tweet their phones how ever they want and us schlubs have to deal with them being jack asses

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

LG takes Android from AOSP and modifies it with their skin and features, then releases the base firmware for the phone. This can take some time depending on how much they have to customize Android to make their launcher and desired features work. That base firmware is then handed to the carriers, who either independently or in partnership with LG write a customized version of the firmware for their network and desired features.

Common modifications include:

- Specific frequencies or protocols for use on the network (example - though my old AT&T Note 4 is hardware-identical to the T-Mobile Note 4, a number of GSM/HSPA frequencies are turned off in the AT&T model making it work better on AT&T because those frequencies aren't being scanned for signal, but less compatible with T-Mobile).
- Support for carrier-specific features, like VoLTE (Voice-Over-LTE) and WiFi calling, which are both implemented slightly differently between carriers and are not interoperable between carriers.
- Carrier-specific software (whether useful or bloatware)

All of those modifications then need to be re-tested.

This is on a phone-by-phone basis for each carrier, so carriers will put exactly the effort into it that they feel the phone is worth - and that is often based on the number of units sold and therefore how many customers they have out there that are vulnerable to a phone breach and/or a potential vector for malware onto the network.

Given LG's sales numbers overall, well, I'm not surprised to be looking at my AT&T 2014 Samsung Note 4 and seeing it on a more recent security release than a 2016 LG phone. I'd bet some money there are more active Note 4s on AT&T's network than there are active V20s.

This is not intended to speak poorly of AT&T or LG - it is what it is. They will act in the best interests of the majority of their customer base.

This is why in the beginning the original Moto X models were able to get updates fairly quickly. The Moto X used an almost completely unmodified version of Android (save a few easy-to-implement mods like the "flick to shoot" camera, etc). So they just needed to add drivers for their specific hardware and hand it off to the carriers, who then had less fuss and bother to deal with getting their specific features on board.

PS: I'd apologize for the length of this post, but you did ask a geek to answer. It's what we do. :p

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
yes I did ask for a geek to explain and it makes sense but still bites but what ya going to do?
But thanks for putting it in easy to understand geek language, lol

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
yes I did ask for a geek to explain and it makes sense but still bites but what ya going to do?
But thanks for putting it in easy to understand geek language, lol

Really, you have three options:

1. Buy a Nexus or phone that runs close to vanilla Android so you get updates straight from Google AOSP (Android Open Source Program) or with a very short delay.

2. Buy a phone with an unlocked bootloader so you can load aftermarket ROMs and test and load your own updates.

3. Buy a popular model from a popular brand (or one that promises for frequent updates for a long time) and hope they stick with their promises.

(1) and (2) may cost you carrier-specific features and an update can break compatibility with your carrier.

(2) means you have to get your own security updates and take responsibility for the security of your own device and do your own compatibility testing. This is not for everyone.

(3) means your choices are extremely limited and you still run the risk of your manufacturer/carrier leaving you in the cold (*cough* Moto X and Moto X 2014 *cough*).

This fragmentation is what folks who prefer Apple iOS are on about a lot, and it's a rather valid point. Not enough to convince me to change ecosystems, but I do understand why the BYOD support team at my company wants to go Apple-only so badly, and sends a lot of problem children to me even though mobile phone support isn't in my job description or resume. LOL

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Having my own phone that I own is best but it sucks how the Mfg. and Carrier cant use a simple way to send security patches, as long as I have the latest OS the other critical updates are what the mfg's and carriers should care about to keep things safe!

Oh well this will never change unless I go to apple which I cant dooooooooooooo the evil fruit company even though they handle things so much better than every other mfg in my eyes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2